The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
patandjali
rolynd
6 posters

Pulley system -speed testing

rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Pulley system -speed testing Empty Pulley system -speed testing

Post by rolynd Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Rubber has an inherent speed limit which  for Theratube silver for example is at 55-60m/s.  If you use more rubber you can shoot heavier ammo but it will not go any faster. Very fast speeds can be had with extremely tapered bands and butterfly draw but these do last only a few shots. 
    To get faster you need to employ some kind of mechanical advantage like levers or pulleys. But some of the MA is eaten away by inertia mass and friction from the added parts this will take.
    I want to test different pulley systems for speed and see if there is a gain to be had. If I find something reasonable that works I want to build a rubber powered crossbow comparable in draw weigh and no larger in size than  commercially avaliable high end crossbows and hopefully get it as near as possible to contemporary arrow speeds. Lets see what rubber can do! 

Pulley system -speed testing Pulley18_zps097efe1e

I omitted the roller setup because with thicker rollers at front the string would have been riding too high over the rail. This would have needed a redesign of my test rig so I will do this last. I just build a simple stationary test rig from some scrap wood I had in the shop. Nothing fancy or elaborate  just enough to test some pulley systems on it.

I started the test with the 2:1 pulley system, here is the setup:

Pulley system -speed testing Setup3_zps06d02a7c
    Spanned:

Pulley system -speed testing Setup2_zpsb8f33f34

The Arrows:
    Pulley system -speed testing Arrows_zps7bb1a864

Draw length is 70cm and draw weight on the trigger is app. 80lbs I use coil chrono to record the speed.

Results:

The 37g(571gr) arrow (equals a 21mm steel ball)  was shot 5 times and the speed recorded:

1.  221,66fps
    2.  222,31fps
    3.  222,46fps
    4.  223,16fps
    5.  223,24fps

Average: 222.56fps

The 22g(339,5gr) Arrow (equals a 17,4mm steel ball)

1.  272,73fps
    2.  273,01fps
    3.  272,84fps
    4.  270,77fps
    5.  272.56fps

Average: 272,58fps

The 12g(185,2gr) Arrow (equals a 14,3mm Steel ball)

1.  346,46fps
    2.  348,28fps
    3.  346,45fps
    4.  345,83fps
    5.  347,25fps

Average: 346,58fps

I am using Theratube silver. According to other peoples findings its max speed if used directly is about 55-60m/s =180-197fps 

So this shows that ist possible to get some more speed from a simple pulley system.
    The gain in heavier projectiles is as expected - not so very much  but you can see that using lighter arrows the speed gain is noticeable.

This indicates that to shoot a large 37g arrow we will have to increase the draw weight considerably from what its now. But if the system was already maxed out or pulley systems would not work at all it would not have shot the light arrow at higher speed.
    Try shooting a 14mm steel ball at 346fps using theratube silver directly- not possible I think  even if you could do a butterfly draw with it.

You may also notice that I did not stretch the rubber to its maximum length - I only get about 170-180% elongation from the slightly prestreched loops here. 

222fps for a 571gr arrow is a decent speed but not overly impressive so far. But keep in mind that high end crossbows  usually range in between 180-200lbs in draw weight to shoot  very fast arrows.  We are nowhere near that here.

It would be nice to test this setup with 200lbs and see what it can do then, but unfortunately  the ugly test rig is nor sturdy enough to handle such draw weights. I am hesitant to try  because bad things may happen.
    I will probably increase the draw weigh  about as much as I dare but  will do the other tests before.

The 346fps on the lighter arrow was nice but now we need to do this with the large one Very Happy At the moment with this setup its more like the "raptor" slingshot - only able to shoot light ammo fast. But I think we can shoot even heavier ammo much faster if done right.

So there is room for improvement. I can use higher draw weight, shorten the string or the rubber a bit(there is still some room) or I could use Theraband gold which is reportedly faster than slow silver tube. 
    But first I will do some more tests on the other pulley setups to see if we can get better than the 2:1 without having to resort to insanely high drawweights.

Using pulley systems with hand drawn slingshots is  in my opinion not a viable way to use but employed in a really powerfull (150+ lbs) crossbow I think they can really increase the speed .
    These are my first findings on the subject of rubber*pulleys and I am curious what the next one will do cyclops 

Best Regards
    patandjali
    patandjali
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Pulley system -speed testing Empty Re: Pulley system -speed testing

Post by patandjali Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:21 pm

hi,
    please show how you did the chronometer
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:57 am

I got this idea from the archerytalk forum.
    Its 2 coils of thin laquered copperwire wound on 2 rings and connected to a mic plug to go into the laptop. A guy over there even made a programm for it to calculate speed.
    Instructions on how to build and how to operate the sofrware can be found here:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1485253

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1485256

Instructions call for 50 windings per coil but to make it more sensitive you can make more windings or make a smaller diameter(harder to hit though)

I tested it with slingshots and arrows. It works for slingshots also but produces more error messages with steel balls. Works better with arrows I get almost zero error messages. I had to fiddle a bit with the threshohold settings in the beginning but if you get it right it works perfectly.

Downside is it needs the arrowtip to be magnetised to induce a small current signal while passing the coils. So thats while I think it does not work so good with steel balls. With arrows the North/south poles stay oriented always the same when passing the coils, With steel balls they can spin in flight and the N/S orientation is not always thesame when passing the second coil. So thats why you need sometimes a few shots with steel balls to get a good reading.

It needs something magnetised to travel through the coils so no lead balls, marbles or all-wood projectiles. But you can glue a small magnet to the projectile if necessary....
    Since I am measuring mostly arrows its no problem for me.

Any diameter wire will work but very fine wire is better because it makes a thinner coil and you can measure the distance between the coils better and I think it also gives a more exact signal for the moment of passing. Wire needs to be insulated or coated. Blank wire will not work because the layers connect and you are not making a coil with multiple windings  but its just one winding then.

I like it because its easy to make and it was very cheap. I only had to buy the wire which was  6,35€ . You will also need a computer but if you had none you wouldnt be asking me this here Very Happy 

I like it over the purely audio based  method using only microphone because with these its sometimes hard to determine which sound represents the arrow leaving the string since A multiply of other sounds are produced by trigger, bow etc With the coil chrono you get a signal the exact moment the arrowtip is passing the coil so I think its more accurate.

So if you build your own, let me know how it works for you cheers
    patandjali
    patandjali
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by patandjali Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:59 am

Thank you !
    hakeeeee
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by hakeeeee Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:29 am

Impressive test. I am waiting for other pulley system test.
     I have question about coil chronograph. I don't have standard chronograph so  I can't check up  coil chronograph's value is accurate. can I trust coil chronograph that i made? I don't care about little  error(5-10fps). 
    I read build instructions and they said distance between chronograph and arrow tip at least 4'-6'. But you're chrono looks closer than 4'-6'. Is it okay if i use chrono at 2'-3' distance?

just rubbing magnet on point works well? or should i glue magnet on the point
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:51 am

Well, I cant tell about accuracy because I have no "real" chrono to test it against. Wouldnt habe bui8lt this thing otherwise. But the people on archerytalk forum have tested it against a real chrono and from what I have read, accuracy is good and error was less than 1% if you do it right.

Distance in the picture is decieving. It it so far away that the arrow has left the string before entering the first coil.  
    Just rubbing with a magnet is enough. It gives a weaker signal so you have to set "threshhold" value accordingly but the signal is clear and distinctive.  The wood arrow has a magnet glued into the tip.
    It also works with magnetised steel balls (12mm bb tested) but because these can spin in flight  the North/south poles orientation is not always the same when passing the second coil and you get more error messages. With arrows no problem at all because  orientation is always the same when passing the coils.

I made a test with more rubber  Draw weight is now 120lbs at 70 cm drawlength. Its Faster now cheers 

I took some photos of the results from the laptop , so you can see how the curves look:

Pulley system -speed testing Speed1_zps8f2e08cf

Unfortunately the 12g wooden arrow broke on the first shot so I made a even shorter Aluminium version which is a really close 11,9g in weight.

Pulley system -speed testing Speed4_zpsefbb0362

Pulley system -speed testing Speed3_zps3e048382

The Results

37g (571gr) Arrow

1. 270,70fps
    2. 269.39fps
    3 268,57fps
    4. 269,11fps
    5. 269,18fps

Average: 269,39fps

Pulley system -speed testing Speed2_zps38daecc5

The 22g (339,5gr) arrow

1. 327,14fps
    2. 322,74fps
    3. 329.59fps
    4. 328,12fps
    5. 327,38fps

Average  326,99fps

Pulley system -speed testing Speed6_zps64a03929

The best for last Smile

the 12g (185,2gr) Arrow

1. 415,75fps
    2. 415,75fps
    3. 408,67fps 
    4. 418,38fps
    5. 414,89fps

Average 414,68fps

Pulley system -speed testing Speed5_zps425838e8
    Anatine Duo
    Anatine Duo
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Anatine Duo Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

oooo I like where this is going!

Thanks for sharing.  Personally I do not love rubber powered weapons because it is often cold here... but your set-up seems very adaptable to other energy storage options.

Where did you find your little pulleys?
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:58 am

Yes , Rubber has its drawbacks, especially when its cold. Thers` also the hysteresis issue. But its cheap, makes for an easy build and you can do large draw lengths + its easy to adjust power by adding just more rubber...

As for the pulleys - I made them myself  because I could not find what I was looking for in the shops. I needed something strong yet lightweight and low friction. I made them from Delrin(POM)

Heres a little WIP how I make them with my minimal Toolset (no lathe - this would have helped) But I managed and its possible with some care, frequent measuring and some experience to make them to within similar specs(weight/dimensions).

Sorry for the many pics but I kept them  low in filesize and it spares me some overly complicated lengthy  explanations... Rolling Eyes 
    Cutting the blanks
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley1_zps5779848f
    Mounting on makeshift mandrel
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley3_zps0fcde004
    Turning to size
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley5_zpsa81b708a
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley4_zps46613394
    Turning the groove
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley8_zps142811d5
    The tools (Made from Drill rod, hardened+tempered, need to be sharp!)Pulley system -speed testing Pulley7_zps8c093db8
    After some wet sanding+polishingPulley system -speed testing Pulley9_zpsf4a5d4eb
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley12_zps625fc1f2
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley13_zps3cb8bd9f
    Mini-string (because of weight issue, even carbon fiber sideplates were heavier))
    Pulley system -speed testing Pulley15_zps22cf09d8
    Pulley system -speed testing Titaniumaxle_zps27134ba1

This should be fairly self-explanatory , but  if anything is unclear feel free to ask.
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by hullutiedemies Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 am

From the other thread
    rolynd wrote:I'd like to see someone tackle this one:

Pulley system -speed testing Chuangzi-nu_zps697068a8

I briefly experimented with this kind of setup in my rubber thingy and noticed it had almost no recoil. It was also little faster than the same amount of rubber set up in a "single" bow. But I dont know if that readily translates to one made with "real" bows.

I was going to suggest you try this. This doubles transmission ratio without any added mass. So with massless string it could in theory be twice as fast.
    Should work even better with normal bows, as the spring material usually has more inertia than rubber. Certainly works well . I have tried it.

Anyway you should record the stored energy of your system. After all energy economy is the whole point of this experiment. Also the efficiency figure would give virtual mass for independent bolts to check for other sources of inneficiency than system inertia.
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 am

Well, I actually have tried it , it looked like this:

Pulley system -speed testing 2-1modified_zpsf0d464e1

Pulley system -speed testing 195lbs571gr_zpsa93bac79

I had to move the trigger a bit forward because I ran out of space for drawing the rubber much further so its about 160lbs with a 60cm draw resultig in 277fps for the 571gr arrow.
    Compared to the 120lbs , 70cm draw at 269fps I do not get much more speed from this setup. Maybe a little more if the draw length were the same but  the increase is not as great as I expected. What I noticed was that the assembly has almost no recoil, which is a good thing but I get almost the same speed with 40lbs less drawweight. Maybe this slef-dampening effect thats responsible for the low recoil is also the cause for the low speed over what was expected with mor drawweight.

I really like your double bow design with the levers, though! 
    If I should tire about playing with pulley systems I think I'll switch to levers or Inswinger designs....

But there is still some things I want to know about the pulleys so I carry on with these for the moment.
    Prorock
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Prorock Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 am

Hallo, im interesting in rubber crossbows too. Very simple way to increase ratio arrow/rubber is increase lenght between places of attachment of string. Actually make bow wider, this doesnt add any masses. Do you think the same ? I want make the same on my crossbow.
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:45 am

Hello Prorock, welcome to the forums!
    I have thought about increasing the  distance between the frontal rollers, but I am not sure if this would really increase the speed. Rubber pulls back with a certain  max velocity - this doesnt get greater when I move the rollers further apart.

In a traditional bow  if you increase/decrease the limb length you change the leverage/angle and thus the limb tips travel at different speeds but with rubber set up like I did -with the frontal rollers-  it doesnt change  anything  besides giving me a bit mor draw length. Maybe its different for slingbows  with rubber instead of a standard string.  The only way I have found so far that works in overcoming rubbers inherent speed limit is the use of simple machines like either pulleys or levers.
    Prorock
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Prorock Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

No, it has effect, when you move the rollers further apart. This changes the angle between arrow and string if you have the same drawlenght (powerstroke). And due this change of angle, it decrease part of force acting on arrow from back. As well it decreases the track of string througt the rollers - powerstroke and track of string isnt the same it forms a triangle (look at it like in trigonometry). The smaller the angle on side of roller the string has (the wider bow), the smaller is the track of string to overcame the same powerstroke. You can make small test with string, like me.
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Ok, I try to wrap my head around it. I know it has effect in bows and crossbows but I was able to convince myself  it would not work the same with rubber , but was not 100% sure -since I have not tested it - I will try it!
    Do you have some pictures of your setup? Drawlength, draweight, speed?
    Prorock
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Prorock Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:22 pm

My crossbow has now 2 levers and 4 pulleys-two static and two on levers - this makes ratio 1:3 without efect of triangel. Drawlength is 57 cm, draweight is about 32 pounds, speed i cant measure, is slow with 22 g arrows but sufficient for shooting at target from 15 m. I have problems with torsion of levers from plywood and the lenght between  front pulleys is very short - i want to rebuilt it. It has bad angle between levers and rubber band as well. It will aproach the setup of man here(topic Inswinger crossbow) after rebuild, but the string will forms a loop that hangs on pulley near trigger. The pulley is fixed by rubber - the string is silented this way.

Last edited by Prorock on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anatine Duo
    Anatine Duo
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Anatine Duo Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:42 pm

great tutorial on lathe-less pulley making, thanks
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by hullutiedemies Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:15 am

rolynd wrote:Well, I actually have tried it , it looked like this:

Pulley system -speed testing 2-1modified_zpsf0d464e1
    Maybe a little more if the draw length were the same but  the increase is not as great as I expected.

OK. Problem is those fixed router pulleys. This is not the Ming set up. The front pulley should be moving backwards - that is what gives the leverage.

Your set up above needs longer string and the resulting fast moving extra mass is ruining the efficiency.

Fix the fatter rubber with pulleys to front and thin ones back. Run the string only through the moving pulleys. This way the string will be shorter & lighter.
    This naturally means some 15 cm idle length in front of the system, so you may want to move the bolt track back to get full power stroke.
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Post by rolynd Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:40 am

Yes, I get you, its not exactly the setup  as in the chuanzi nu because of the frontal rollers.

This is what you talk about I guess: Green= string, red = rubber

Pulley system -speed testing Pulleychuangzi_zpsf5384822

It would do away with the frontal rollers and uses a shorter string.  

Well, it does not work on my test rig because with this setup the distance between the frontal attachment points is too small. It would work if  I could widen the frontal "fork".  If I use the attachment points of the frontal rollers  what happens is  that the pulley wheels are pulled to the middle until they touch. It looks then like some sort of X  with the pulleys touching in the middle.

It has merit though and is closer to the original setup  but I would need a wider "fork" in the front and as you said it wastes a bit of stock length in the front. But it lightens the whole setup for a few grams and does away with inertia and friction of the frontal rollers. Should be faster but how much I cannot tell without testing.

Testing is on hold because I accidentally shot my trusty chrony and destroyed the back ring.  Crying or Very sad (note to self: check alignment of chrony after bumping into it!) I am constructing a new one now using photodiodes amd IR LEDs  so I can do away with magnetised tips...

Pulley system -speed testing Chronyshot_zpse3f0d0b4

Thers always a little setback but first results were relatively promising in overcoming the rubber speed limit so  I`ll carry on - but slowly at the moment....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm