The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

casein glue

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

casein glue Empty casein glue

Post by stuckinthemud1 Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

does anyone have any experience making and/or using casein (cheese and quick-lime) glue?  Specifically for glueing up antler inlays, but any comments would be of interest.
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

casein glue Empty Re: casein glue

Post by rolynd Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I have used it on bone to make a thicker piece for carving.  I used it because its more waterproof than hide glue and acording to my reference it would make for an almost "invisible" glue line.  
    Well, it held up fine and the glue line was almost not to be seen - until I stained the finished piece  and the glue line revealed itsself rather prominently... smack 

As far as can remember it was mentioned in the book:
    Arthur MacGregor :Bone, antler, ivory & horn: The technology of skeletal materials since the Roman period

I got it from the university library and AFAIK it was a great reference for the older working techniques. Since Antler is  notso  very far from bone it could work there also.  Since you intend inlay I see no glue line problems.

But be advised that Bone, antler and Ivory are prone to small shrinkage/cracking  problems if exposed to varying moisture contents/temperature changes. Ivory the most and Antler the least affected.  these small dimensional changes could lead to the glue becoming unstuck. Mustn'd be but could be. Had a nice piece of carved mammoth crack for no apparent reason after  I sold it, It was not hit, dropped or else mechanically stressed. Also some bone scales on a knife developed a minute gap to the bolster section  after some time despite being perfectly flush at the time it was finished. These were glued with epoxy.

Forgot to mention : I made mine from cream cheese 20% fat and added  slaked lime. Ratio app. 5:1.
    cream cheese made with enzymes (lab- ferment) is not suitable. It should be made in traditional "sour" way
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks Rolynd, those notes will be really useful: the interface between the inlay and the surrounding wood will be topped off with a black (pitch?) infil and should be capable of taking up movement differences between wood and antler (fingers crosed)
    rolynd
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Post by rolynd Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am

Well, my experiences come from working with mostly bone and various Ivories  so I dont know if it would be readily transferable to  antler.  Also I did no bone inlay work, just carvings and  knife scales & stuff like that.  

Will the inlays be just flat and work by shape&form or dou you plan on texturing them or add a little carving?  
    If so, can recommend  Stephen Myhres Book : "Bone carving, A skillbase of Techniques and concepts" for Starters.
    Power tools are nice for roughing out but  detail work on carvings is best done with Hand tools.  Essentially these tools are various forms of scrapers and Working with those is much faster than you`d antipicate.  . Results are also much nicer than just made with  rotary powertools.

Since you want to use old techniques like casein glue  maybe you also want to make everything else by hand tools.

Flat Inlay is relatively straightforward - I Inlaid some small metal plaques into knife scales - the most tricky part for me was doing the recess in the wood accurately to depth and dimensions and  after I was not able to do this gap-free by hand I opted for a mechanical aid : A manual Pantograph.
    I got the Idea from mr. Wandels site www.woodgears.com and built a dremel pantograph.
    Heres mine:http://www.woodgears.ca/reader/pantograph/ralph.html 

Well, its not exactly medieval  but still old and mostly forgotten thing  Cool but it helped me greatly in doing some small inlays accurately and was definitely worth the effort to build. Came in handy a few times since. It cant rival a modern CNC for sure but for something homemade its great for small inlay work.

Some other users also had good results from this contraption and I think it would  be nice for intricate bone Inlays.
    http://www.woodgears.ca/reader/alois/inlay.html
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:01 pm

The inlays are carved, and I am using hand-tools as I really don't like rotary power tools (personal prejudice) - I am finding small scrapers to be the best approach to working antler.  The carving is progressing nicely although I am having mixed results at my attempts to straighten the antler - so far using boiling water with a glug of vinegar and then clamping between boards over night seems to be the most effective, but even then the antler seems to relax back into a flatter version of its old shape, perhaps I need to straighten and glue into place immediately so the antler does not get chance to relax. Any thoughts?

Can't remember the last time I used a pantograph, think I was still in my teens, could be worth getting re-acquainted with it.
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by hullutiedemies Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:44 am

I have made it from hot milk with vinegar. - Clean & easy that way.
    Is cheese version different ?
    Some recipes also mention use of baking soda.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 am

This document http://www.rocks4brains.com/glue.pdf is very thorough for medieval glues, giving period recipes and modern equivalents,  and states

Modern research (e.g. Guo, C., B.E. Campbell, K. Chen, A.M. Lenhoff, O.D. Velev (2003), Casein precipitation equilibria in the presence of calcium ions and phosphates, colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 29: 297-307) has demonstrated that sodium based alkaline solutions like water+baking soda are nowhere near as good for rebinding the drying caseins as calcium-based solutions. So baking soda will work as the solution base for a casein-based glue but lime solutions will always be better. If you want really-gnarly totally-awesome homemade wood glue, use calcium phosphate instead of lime – but be aware that it’s not period…)" 
    (Class Notes - SCA Estrella 23 Collegium, Feb 18, 2007 cited by C. M. Helm-Clark, Ph.D.)

There are several recipes in the document, the author recommends avoiding cream cheese, preferring mozzorella with pickling lime.

Last edited by stuckinthemud1 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : content)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am