The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

New user and first "crossbow"

mhof86
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

New user and first "crossbow" Empty New user and first "crossbow"

Post by mhof86 Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 am

Hello Everyone,

Brand new here and want to thank everyone for all the useful information. My crossbow was built with the knowledge from this website and the wiki it links to on the right side so thank you for that. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in regards to terminology I will try to get everything right but still pretty new to this whole world.

That being said I have been toying around with this project for some time now. I started out with a couple wood prods that would toss a bolt like a soft ball pitch. The firing mechanism worked well though so that was pretty cool. 

I just "upgraded" to a leaf spring prod that I got the dimensions for on the same wiki.
    http://crossbow.wikia.com/wiki/Plan_for_a_simple_leaf-spring_prod

My layout was just a hair smaller (first metal prod and I was very nervous) and I also have a much shorter draw length (only about 10"). I was hoping to get in around 100# draw weight (website estimated roughly 150# off the layout and roughly 15" draw length) but it ended up coming in around 65#. 

I have it braced at just under 4". 

Couple questions:
    Will it stack up that much weight in the last 5" or so of draw or am I missing something?

Draw length is measured from the back of the prod to full draw and power stroke is measured from string at brace to full draw (sorry if I am butchering the crossbow speak)?

I have read that when cutting out the prod you have to watch heat so you don't effect temper... Well I read that after I went to town with my angle grinder. I went really slow since I am not really comfortable with the angle grinder but that being said I never quenched the metal or gave heat a second thought. Could I have messed something up here?

With the increase in weight the nut has stripped out on the bottom were the trigger catches. I am thinking of replacing this with an Oak nut and reinforcing it with a strip of metal. Am I on the right track or will this just strip out same as last? (I think the last nut was left over poplar dowel from a closet that wasn't reinforced at all)

Well with that all being said (and hopefully I get this posting right) here is a picture of my work in progress.

New user and first "crossbow" <a href=New user and first "crossbow" Crossb10" />
    phuphuphnik
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

New user and first "crossbow" Empty Re: New user and first "crossbow"

Post by phuphuphnik Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:15 pm

What a pretty little bow!
    As for the temper, if you didn't get it much above boiling I wouldn't worry too much, if you got it red hot then I'd worry about the temper. Others will help out on this topic.
    As for the nut, yeah a bit of steel goes a long way. I use a band saw to cut a notch, then press the steel in. Another way would be to use a pin with a side files flat where the lever touches.

Let me know if you want to switch to a delrin nut. I have been offering these to folks for the cost of shipping. I still have some left. Once I order more, then I'll ask some money for it. It seems that making the nut is the most daunting for some, so I offer it as a service.  I have easy access to a lathe and it takes no time at all to do. I'll face it 1" wide and drill an undersize center hole.

Again, pretty little bow, congrats on the build!
    mhof86
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by mhof86 Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 pm

That is really generous of you phu and thank you for the compliments on the bow Smile

I will try the metal insert although I have considered very strongly using delrin. Is that stuff that tough to work with? I figured I could attack it with a decent file set and hack saw. I was thinking of hitting up my local suppliers and see if any of them have any cut scraps laying on the floor to experiment with.
    phuphuphnik
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by phuphuphnik Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:55 pm

It is really nice to work. It cuts like butter, and is slippery. A file, saw, and drillpress will work it easily. 
    A way to face off the end without a lathe is to center drill it, run a bolt through it, and tighten up a nut to keep it clamped. Then put a bit of sandpaper on the drill press table, chuck the bolt into the, er, chuck...ahem, and gently lower it onto the paper. That will make a good face on the side of the wheel, and make a lot of plastic dust. Don't overheat it, though.
    JoaoLS
    JoaoLS
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by JoaoLS Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:27 am

That is a really good looking bow! The stirrup looks pretty good, almost looks like its part of the prod. Been wondering about starting a new bow along those lines, but as i found out today, you can't order steel or glass prods to portugal, probably some imports law or something. Gonna have to start looking for leaf springs i guess.  scratch
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:41 am

Mhof86; getting back to your prod. I doubt very much that you damaged the temper. If you did ,I think that when you pulled to the draw length. it would have mostly stayed bent right there.It wouldn't have any power so to speak.
    mhof86
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by mhof86 Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words JoaoLS. I was surprised how easy it was to get the leaf spring apart and shaped out. This one I got from the salvage yard down the road out of his "scrap" pile and I still have 2 more leaves that are big enough for prods. Whole spring cost me $10. Considering I don't mess up the other two that's not to bad for 3 prods.

C Sitas, I haven't noticed the prod taking any set (if that translates over to crossbows) and the power from first shot to now (maybe 100 shots) has not dropped off at all.

I was wondering though if leaving it strung will hurt the prod? It's a real bear stringing it.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 am

No ,it doesn't hurt to leave it strung. One thing , where it and your string are new it's probbally helping you by taking the thretch out of your string.You can keep a close watch on your prod by checking the fistmle height once in a while. That is where the story is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am