» I am back with new project
by stm2010 Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:35 am

» European medieval an renaissance archery contests and target
by Lightly Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Arrow speed

Onager Lovac
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Arrow speed

Post by Onager Lovac on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:22 pm

So i remembered a while back i got a book called "Bowhunting big game" by Dan Dietrich, i was published in 1993 and it was mainly focused on compounds altho there was a section on traditional and crossbows, and it explained that the new compound bows could shoot at a whopping 275 fps!!  Razz, and that some recurves where also very fast at 210 fps, anyway, on a latter chapter it explains that the deer must be calm before you shoot it, otherwise it will jump the string when it hears the twang of the bow or crossbow. "For a deer or any animal not to react to the noise before the the arrow hits, it would have to be traveling at about 500 fps and thats probably never going to happen", he was probably only talking about handbows tho.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Re: Arrow speed

Post by c sitas on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:04 am

Onager, I've been a bow hunter for well over fifty years. I've used the old sticks, and I've used modern hotrods. I can't say that I can ever remember missing a deer ,or getting a bad hit from it jumping the string "so to speak." If anyone is having that problem ,they"re timing of the shot is not good, the animal is not relaxed, or you have spooked the animal. They are quick learners and it does,nt take much to teach them .Simple. You take advantage of them by waiting for just the proper second to shoot ,or, don't shoot .I think they are a lot like humans in the fact that we can't  think of two things at the same time  There are a lot of the newer guys that think they're out fits are fast enough to over come this . I doubt it very much cause I here about lost animals all the  time,as proof of what I say.Seems like now day's your hunt is judged by how big the kill. I glad I'm long past that.Some of my most memerable hunts ,ended with a zero!

kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 pm

The other reason bowhunters (particularly compound shooters who think a bow is a stringed rifle) miss deer is that they take shots from much too far away.  Rifle hunting at+ yards may be alright, but bow hunting -- even with a crossbow -- at more than 25-30 yards is just asking to miss or wound rather than kill.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 am

For sure Kenh, also the kenetic drops very fast.A 30" arrow is one thing ,    the short bolts are another matter. But like I stated before ,the  urge  of the kill overcomes good judgement . This seems to be true. Go to some of the other forums and just read the posts as of late. Most of the seasons are winding down now.The "BUCK" is all important. The bigger the better.My wife says this is true,cause all she hunts for is horns,     the dropped ones,   sheds.

Onager Lovac
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Onager Lovac on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 pm

You know, i read somewhare (actually i think it was in the same book) that while the majority of bowhunters (about 90% i think) said that they always try to take ethical shots, average shot distance is or was a that time 30 yards or more and shot placement was random around the deers shoulders or chest Mad . I dont think i would even take a shot at a deer at more than 15 or 17 yards even with a crossbow, sometimes when i go hunting with my cousin and i try to get extremely close to the animals he start whispering "shoot it already" and when it flies or runs away he says "were you trying to shot it or stab it with the arrow", this happens a lot of times, i dont get a lot of animals, but i always feel better about myself, the majority of animals ive gotten now were headshots and heartshots but there will alway be a couple of wounded animals that get away regardless of how ethical you try to be.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Agreed , as you say, you can try to keep everything perfect and ---    there is still enough room for things to go bad. Train oneself to stay with the closer high percentage shots, and practice. There is nothing that can replace  actual practice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:07 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm