The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut

Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Empty Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Finally getting around to making another crossbow,  I have the prod ready to go and the wood for the body all selected but trying to figure out if I want to go with a roller not or a claplock.  It comes down to inherent accuracy is one system more accurate than the other?  I like the Claplock because it is a little faster to lock up, don't have to roll the nut back in place, but the string is always in contact with the bolt with the roller nut, which seems a bit more reliable for accuracy.  Am I over thinking this or is there a difference?
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Empty Re: Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut

Post by c sitas Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello Bas. Can't say much here about which is better. I can tell you that to my knowledge there are no such commercial triggers in use. I mean as the clap lock. All use the roller in one form or another.Could be some thing to do with the anti dry fire mechs . They all use that now. A clap lock might present a challenge there. A roller is simple to do.Just my thought here, the more contact you keep between the string and the arrow the better it is.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Empty Re: Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut

Post by Geezer Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 am

Geezer here, concerning the claplock vs. roller-nut.  Personally I prefer the roller-nut: it's quieter, a bit more efficient, and produces less wear on bowstrings and bolts Mostly that's because the string is moving when it hits the bolt.  So there's a 'pop' representing a loss of energy.  That's my preference.  But in fact, there are lots of very good German light hunting and target bows made with the more sophisticated clap lock. (string slopes down to be held by a claw) Given the large numbers of extant claw/claplocks, I can't believe they were generally inferior to rollers.  Pushpin/notch claplocks are much simpler still.  Their major advantage is ultra-simplicity and very quick loading. They're cheap too. Though I make pushpin/notch bows (Skane bows) in my shop for sale, I don't personally like them very much. But boy, they build up fast.  I can easily turn out a Skane bow every day.
    As for notch/claw claplocks, Garvin's Slobows has the parts for sale.  You should be able to make one up pretty easily.  Don't let me stop you trying them. Geezer.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 am

Hmmm: I don't think I was clear there.  The string is moving when it hits the bolt in a Claplock or a Skane bow (pushpin/notch) The string starts against the bolt in a roller lock (or should if you're doing it right.) roller locks have less misfires and accelerate the bolt more smoothly, for less wear on bolt-butt and bowstring.  Geezer.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info.  I think I will stick with the simple roller nut for this one and save the complicated build for the next crossbow.
    FrenckBrambo
    FrenckBrambo
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Empty Same question, just a roller nut for a claplock

Post by FrenckBrambo Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:51 pm

I just wanted to post the same question Bas;
    before I start my RDT project, I upraded the bow that I made when I was 17. I changed the roller-nut mechanism for a (self-invented) claplock, because the lever that holds the roller-nut on the botttom wore down and it started to dry-fire. It was a lot of work to get it right, because when cocked, the lock has to be just above the rail.
    So I made a new claplock-mechanism:

[img:9d7a]https://s20.postimg.org/ktd75wdll/IMG_0993[364].jpg[/img:9d7a]

Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Remake_R

It works fine, but it makes a lot of noise. When shooting it sounds more like a gun.. Besides that the serving on the string wear down quickly I guess, like Geezer says.
    Two things to notice when you make a claplock I think: the front end of the lock that holds back the string has to have an angle, and must be a bit rounded, and the rotation-point must not be to low (some mm above the top of the string). I made it a bit to low.

I developed a trigger mech for my RDT project:
    Accuracy of the Claplock versus Rollernut Triggermech_LR

But now I am planning to change this in a lock that rotates under the string.. More to come.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am