The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+3
Anatine Duo
Bs1110101
kenh
7 posters

PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?

Bs1110101
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?  Empty PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?

Post by Bs1110101 Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 pm

With PVC being as cheap as it is, i'm thinking i want to make a crossbow using a PVC prod and cocked with a wippe, which of course leads to the question of how powerful a practically sized PVC prod could be made. Which made me think: A PVC prod normally is tapered by being heated and formed into the right shape, which makes the mass of the bow identical along it's length. Could an improvement be achieved by simply pressing the PVC pipe flat down all of it's length, and making a loose laminate prod out of the now flattened PVC? For a bow of the same length, what sort of difference in poundage should i expect? And for the same poundage, how much would the different mass distribution change the actual speed of a bolt being shot?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?  Empty Re: PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?

Post by kenh Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 am

I make PVC bows as well -- PVC Archry & Crafting on Google+.  If you try to make a loose laminate, you'll be seriously increasing the mass of the 'bow and not significantly increasing the draw weight.  PVC is HEAVY! You can "flatten taper" the pipe,  or cut out a long thin wedge from the tip ends to lighten the tips.

Even with 1-1/2" PVC you're not going to need a wippe!  You'll probably not get more than 150#.  Nick's best is a 100# crossbow that lets you shoot arrows with nocks using a unique "top lock" which he designed
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?  Empty Re: PVC pipe prod: Normal or loose laminate?

Post by c sitas Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 am

Kenh, is right on as per my findings. You 'd have to pray a lot to get even 150#.100# ya. I use a whippie cause it's easier than bending over for me. Nick ,has the perfect shape,but I can't seem to find a way to "get inside of it" to beef it up. It's useless ,as a flattened group.
    Bs1110101
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Bs1110101 Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for the help, is using two inch PVC still practical? What about schedule 80 instead? Or would the extra weight not make that worth it?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:01 pm

2" pipe is going to make 'way too wide of a flattened prod; and all Sched 80 will add is mass-weight.
    Bs1110101
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Bs1110101 Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm

By my math, wouldn't 2 inch PVC equate to 3.7 inches wide at most? That's thick, but should still work, right? 

How else could i get a higher poundage from PVC? Or is it impractical and should i just track down better material to make a prod from?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm

3-3/4" wide prod is gynormous!!   If you want more than about 150# prod, you're going to want to use something other than PVC -- fiberglass chainlink fence tension bars will work, in loose laminate form, for well over 250# draw.
    Anatine Duo
    Anatine Duo
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Anatine Duo Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:30 pm

I've been wanting to flatten the pvc and glue it together to make a thick billet, 3/4" maybe, then width taper.  Kinda defeats the pipe idea but pipe is a cheap source of pvc.

It glues fast... be ready with your clamps if you try this!
    Bs1110101
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Bs1110101 Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am

Anatine Duo wrote:I've been wanting to flatten the pvc and glue it together to make a thick billet, 3/4" maybe, then width taper.  Kinda defeats the pipe idea but pipe is a cheap source of pvc.

It glues fast... be ready with your clamps if you try this!
    Glue, or solvent weld? Because normal PVC cement is actually a solvent for solvent welding. Either way, seems like an interesting idea, but i'd be afraid of it just flat out shattering one day. 

Anyway, i've ordered a few of those fiberglass tension bars, though i'm giving a prod from 2 inch PVC a shot for the simple reason that the hardware store was out of 1.5 inch PVC, not to mention PVC is cheap and i want to see if i can claim the record for highest poundage PVC prod. I think i'll save the fiberglass for the bolt shooter, and make the PVC prod into a stonebow or bullet shooter. Anyone know of a good guide for those?
    Anatine Duo
    Anatine Duo
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Anatine Duo Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 am

Yes I meant the solvent cement.  I've seen people make billets out of flattened pipe for all sorts of projects.  

I can tell you mineral filled polyethylene decking will not work for a prod Wink  I didn't think it would but had to try.  Too bendy.  Looks good though.
    jocky
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jocky Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 am

I also played around with PVC for a while. It is cheap, but I still managed to waste the price of an off-the-shelf 150lb fibreglass prod with my various PVC experiments. It was fun, and can result in a pretty dangerous toy, but if you want a serious weapon, I would personally recommend something other than PVC.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 am

For those wanting to build a bullet bow , Geezer from here, can shed some light . Be careful. Jeep an older aquaintance on here,  that has passed away, also done some interesting work on the bullet bow. Just use the search here.From what I've read ,it's not as easy as it looks.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 am

You can get the Sir Arthur Payne-Galway book The Crossbow as a free download; this is THE definitive book on crossbows, actions etc as well as some siege engines
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by banuvatt Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:39 am

You can try putting taped fiberglass rods inside the prod that will bump up the draw weight definitely. Also as someone above said try making the ends of the prod taper in width not only in thickness. You do this by cutting a v section in the middle heating up the beginning of that v. Get hot glue put it on both of the sides of the inside of the v. Press both of the sides together to create a singled taper piece. Go to the BackyardBowyer's Youtube channel he shows how to do this. This won't bump up the draw weight tapering it but it will make it faster also it will make it look better.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:02 am

Hey guys, you can take three 3/8" fiber glass fence posts and make a bow that will easily pull over one hundred pounds. I've made several for the kids starting out shooting. at a cost of about $6.00.I just used a couple of plumbing fittings to hold them together.
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 pm

A PVC prod or hand bow can also be made snappier by heating and folding a shallow 'V' shape into its length, with the point or this fold on the compression face.
    Similar in profile to the commercially available spring steel limbs used on the cheap pistol crossbows.
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm

I never heard of someone doing this to increase the efficiency of PVC pipe bows. I used to build PVC bows I heard of reflexing the tips to make it spring back faster. Cutting a slot at the end of the limbs in the shape of a v then heating the base of that v up so you could than put epoxy putty on both of the insides of that v. Then pressing them together to make the end back into one piece. I also heard of folding the tips, but never what you described by putting a shallow v throughout the bow. Do you have any examples of this on any bows or prods you worked on? I am curious to see what it looks like.
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:23 pm

No pics of PVC, but this more accurately shows V profile... https://www.asmc.com/Shooting-Sport/Archery/Crossbows/Pistol-Crossbow-Umarex-Mod-CF-105-p.html
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:37 pm

I have one of those cheap chinese crossbow pistols, the plastic tip for the prod and the string broke. I need to get a new plastic nock tip and string for the prod.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm