Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» How to make a slurbow?
by banuvatt Today at 12:08 pm

» Compound twinbow pistol (posts vs pulleys)
by c sitas Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:10 pm

» Contact details of steel prod makers
by Geezer Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 pm

» Seal lath bindings, what to use?
by banuvatt Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 am

» measuring speed
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:31 am

» installing a tickler
by Geezer Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 am

» birch bark covering
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am

» thank you n hope to learn in this forum
by kenh Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:01 am

» Red Oak Board (x)Bow.
by banuvatt Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am

» New member intro and couple of questions
by Wildtech Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:46 am

» best way of spanning a 200+lb bow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am

» where to find antler for nut construction
by victortkz Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

» Steel prod - unknown draw weight
by Cornerstone Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am

» making a reproduction of a 15th century cranequin
by victortkz Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 am

» can you point me in the direction of a post on nut-making
by kenh Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 am

» Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke
by Geezer Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

» My latest crossbow creation, the Vanquish
by MPDVM Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 pm

» Steel prod on a crossbow
by c sitas Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am

» robin allen crossbow for sale or trade
by elkhunter Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 pm

» man made material for reinforced socket
by 8fingers Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

» Dimension help
by kenh Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 am

» how do I finish a mixed material tiller
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

» All metal Self Loading Crossbow Build Information needed
by Wildtech Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 am

» hello! introductions
by kenh Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:31 pm

» Brand new Demon crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 am

Another New Crossbow Builder

jrestes1994
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Another New Crossbow Builder Empty Another New Crossbow Builder

Post by jrestes1994 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 am

Hello Everyone

I'm brand new to the group and looking at building my first crossbow. I'm a long time woodworker - furniture and other projects. Have been interested in building a crossbow for years and now is the time to do it. Will be reading some of the past posts and reviewing some YouTube videos but always looking for advice from those knowledgable in this area. So please offer any advice to me as a first time crossbow builder.

Have not yet purchased any hardware but that is my immediate task. I'm not using this for hunting purposes but for target practice along with my guns. Any suggestions on what draw weight to start with as a first crossbow? Secondly, any suggestions on whether to go with Oak or Walnut? I have tons of Walnut but also have some Oak. Trying to make this crossbow as authentic as possible to the Medieval Europe crossbows. 

My very initial thoughts are to use claplock release and bind the prod with cord. Any thoughts as well on this? 

Thanks for any and all advice.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Another New Crossbow Builder Empty Re: Another New Crossbow Builder

Post by Geezer on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Welcome to crossbow-building heaven.  We've got lots of members who can give you guidance for making crossbows. You mentioned hardware:  I buy prods and bow irons from Garvin's Slobows.  They're usually fairly prompt and quality is good.  If you want a bow for target shooting or plinking, I don't recommend getting anything that will require a cocking device.  Levers, belthooks, etc. just slow you down and get in the way.  Since you'll be using both hands and your legs for spanning, keep your draw weight under, say 150 lb. if you're a healthy/robust man.  If you're getting along in years, figure on 110 to 125 lb.  You should be able to shoot that repeatedly without problems.
      As for wood, you'll find oak is harder and slightly heavier.  Walnut is lighter, easier to shape, but it's also more allergenic and particularly black walnut splinters are most unpleasant.  You'll find a number of simple plans online.  Alchem Corp online has a nice medieval style pattern.  They also have good tackle, prods, triggers and the like, but their service is usually slower that Slobows. 
    You can find a very nice pattern for a medieval arbalest in Ralph Payne Gallwey's "Book of the Crossbow" pub. 1907.  Be aware there are a couple of errors in the pattern that will make things tougher.  If you decide to use PG's pattern, drop me a line and I'll give you the lowdown (iolo@crossbows.net)
    If you're worried about what woods are actually appropriate for medieval bows, they used whatever they could get.  I've seen medieval european stocks in birch,oak, cherry, walnut, pear, maple... so pick a workable wood you can get at a reasonable price.  Just make sure the grain runs top to bottom of the stock, rather than side to side.  That actually matters.  So search our back pages, see what you like and get busy.  Geezer.

Current date/time is Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 pm