» New member intro and couple of questions
by Wildtech Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:46 am

» best way of spanning a 200+lb bow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am

» where to find antler for nut construction
by victortkz Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

» Steel prod - unknown draw weight
by Cornerstone Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am

» Compound twinbow pistol (posts vs pulleys)
by Mooki Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 am

» making a reproduction of a 15th century cranequin
by victortkz Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 am

» can you point me in the direction of a post on nut-making
by kenh Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 am

» Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke
by Geezer Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

» My latest crossbow creation, the Vanquish
by MPDVM Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 pm

» Steel prod on a crossbow
by c sitas Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am

» robin allen crossbow for sale or trade
by elkhunter Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 pm

» man made material for reinforced socket
by 8fingers Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

» Dimension help
by kenh Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 am

» how do I finish a mixed material tiller
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

» All metal Self Loading Crossbow Build Information needed
by Wildtech Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 am

» hello! introductions
by kenh Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:31 pm

» Brand new Demon crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 am

» SOLD: Masai Huntsman Crossbow
by TonyU Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm

» Another New Crossbow Builder
by Geezer Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:40 pm

» Side plates and axle pin?
by Geezer Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:01 pm

» 3D crossbow design
by Andy. Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:23 pm

» Making a stirrup
by Geezer Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm

» 8mm or 10mm for pivot
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke

Chinesecrossbowman2
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke Empty Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke

Post by Chinesecrossbowman2 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:02 pm

I am hoping to make a 300lb  "Han dynasty style" Crossbow with a powerstroke of around 20 inches (so around 25 inch draw length). Considering the prices of Horn and sinew, I am most likely making the bow prod out of fibreglass or PVC, unless I can purchase a composite bow of that draw weight/length. Due to the material choice, the goal of this is to test the theoretical power of a Han crossbow by making similar dimensions in Powerstroke and draw weight.
    So far on the internet, I have not found a single example of such a crossbow replica, so hence this project. (Most examples of these replicas look like they have a maximum draw weight of under 70lbs )
    Due to my lack of experience in fibreglass bowmaking, hoping to get some expertise knowledge from anyone. Would be great to know where I can get fibreglass(and the specific type) realistically for this type of monstrous prod. Just hoping to know when I walk into a FRP fibreglass supplier shop for construction, I can tell them the exact fibreglass type to order. Most likely for my first attempt the prod will not be re-curved and will have a simple D shape for simplicity. I would be glad to add siyahs but without any experience please contact me for suggestions on how to attach the siyahs for such a heavy draw weight as I am worried about the glue. Considering the modulus of elasticity of fibreglass, the bow prod would need to be around 5 feet long with a average width of 3 inches I'd assume.
    My Main concern is making the crossbow trigger right(will be using steel for trigger parts due to acessibility) and I will be using dacron for the string material. So clearly you can see the focus is less on historical accuracy, but rather to test the theoretical power of such a weapon.

If I had the historically accurate materials and skills to make a horn and sinew replica, I would be glad to. But so far I have to start somewhere. I have made crossbows out of spring steel before but nothing asiatic.

The article that inspired me to make this:  cannot post link due to new member

Also if you are wondering how is this different from a modern fibreglass bow? Most of them have a draw weight limit of 200lbs but their bow prod is only 3 feet long. Considering the elasticity of fibreglass, it cannot have a long powerstroke while being that short. By increasing the bow prod to 5 ft or 6 ft, we can increase the maximum elastic deflection, hence more powerstroke, while sacrificing portability.

btw also making a repeating crossbow version with a 110 lb  horsebow with a 26 inch draw length. It will probably end up being more of an artillery piece but it will be a lot of fun.
    Chinesecrossbowman2
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke Empty Re: Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke

Post by Chinesecrossbowman2 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke Screen10
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke Empty Re: Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke

Post by kenh on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

The crossbow shown in my avatar picture is well over 200 lb draw at 18", with a solid fiberglass prod 28" long.  I used what is known in the US as a "fiberglass chainlink fence tension bar" approximately 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick.  I combined 3 strips of fiberglass in the style of an ancient Chinese "loose laminate" prod (originally strips of bamboo).  The loose laminate structure lets you make a significantly stronger prod with a shorter length.

You can read about my design and build here:

http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t945-loose-laminate-pinlock-build?highlight=pinlock
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

speaking of Chinese repeating crossbows: I once saw photos taken at the Taku Forts, right after the Peking Siege of 1900.  There were a number of repeating crossbows lying about in the wreckage.  That doesn't preclude their being placed for photographic effect, but at least it's evidence such weapons were available for the forts' defenders.  It's always been my contention they would be most useful for point-defense, like gateways, passages, doors, etc.  Payne-Gallwey said they often used poisoned darts.  A marvelous weapon, lots of fun to play with in the back yard... without the poisoned darts.  Geezer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:08 am