» aluminum prod
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

» First whitetail buck taken with medieval crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 am

» Airsoft Crossbow
by JacobL Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

» Questions about steel prod specs
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

» Faking a medieval composite crossbow prod.
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:13 pm

» Airsoft Bow
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm

» Hello All!
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 pm

» Padre Island Bow
by Geezer Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

» Blocked pictures by Photobucket
by Crossbowmen Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:33 pm

» Geezer website?
by Geezer Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

» Could I get advise on order of operations?
by Bs1110101 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 am

» Renaissance Sporting crossbow
by chaz Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:22 am

» Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

» The Arbalist Guild - Around the World
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

» opinions please
by Geezer Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm

» Hello all!
by Tarzan65 Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

» Yet another one
by Daniel Levesque Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

» Renaissance peep sight
by kenh Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 am

New guy needs help!!!!

TDHorton
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

New guy needs help!!!!

Post by TDHorton on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

This is my first effort. I'm also old and stupid (use to be young and smart. Don't know what happened!!!), so, I don't remember. But I think I read here or elsewhere that I cut a groove in the stock from the prod to the roller nut. Question: How wide and how deep? I'm using Jim's (Alchem Inc) plans for the tiller from prod to roller and then a more conventional rifle stock on back. The bolts are 11/32". Thanks for the help!!!
    Terry
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

Re: New guy needs help!!!!

Post by Pavise on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi Terry,

Your particular string should touch the bolt just a tad above it's centre. If you take one of your 11/64" shafts and lay against the flat end of it, something (a round gauge) of a similar diameter as your string is at the center serving, you will see how much is left for your groove. This groove can be rounded or cut in a vee shape and above all, dead straight and at 90 degrees to your prodd mounting. In fact the groove can be a little deeper and the bolt will then ride on the two edges alone which will provide less friction. The choice is yours; but the string to bolt reference is important if you want your crossbow to be accurate. I would experiment doing this on some scrap wood before committing to the final product. Cut this test groove a little deeper with each pass of your tool and test the ideal depth with your gauge to establish how deep and wide to make it.
    A "slot" has to made the same width to provide the ideal contact point as described above but if using three fletch instead of the medieval two fletch then this slot has to be deep enough to allow free passage of the cock feather riding in the slot.

Pavise
    TDHorton
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by TDHorton on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for the help! I was with you until the "slot". I'm using 3 fletch bolts, so please try again on the explaination. I'm one of those "picture is worth a thousand words" kinda guys. Got any? Thanks again!
    Terry
    Pavise

Post by Pavise on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Okay Terry, here goes. I suggest you Google The Crossbowmens Den and then go to Hints and Tips on the late Robin Allen's 'site and then to Track Dimensions. There you will find some reliable tables for making the width of your track in relation to your particular shaft and string sizes. Other than that, I think you will find that a slot 5/16" wide by 3/4" deep will serve your needs. Again I suggest that you test everything first on some scrap wood of the same width as your stock. I make my track slots by putting a 1/8" wide x 7/8" deep slot cutter bit in my table mounted router set to cut 3/4" deep and then make one pass down the approximate middle of my stock. Then I turn the stock over and make another pass which evens each side exactly. Then I adjust the router bit height setting a little bit at a time until I have my desired slot width exactly down the middle of my crossbow deck. This is why it is fundamentally important to leave the sides of one's stock blank flat and even on both sides before doing any other shaping. The foundation of an accurate crossbow starts and finishes with an accurate track slot.

Please note: If your fletch is less high then your slot can be less deep. But then you might restrict yourself to that fletching size only or less!

Pavise

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm