» classical era crossbow
by jeep Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:35 am

» Universal standard Crossbow nut
by kenh Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:44 am

» Has anyone tried this design?
by Roger.Lopez Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 am

» Material for trigger mechanism pivots
by Pavaise Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

» New crossbow I have been working on for the last couple months.
by Pavaise Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:26 pm

» Crossbow Bolt groove design.
by 8fingers Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:41 am

» Hi Folks, new guy.
by Pavaise Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 pm

» Exceptionally strange pellet crossbow
by Andy. Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:48 pm

» latest build in progress
by kenh Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:01 am

» Pippi Kortborst (proof of concept model)
by Nerd Flintstone Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 am

» Forged Prod #2
by Rizzar Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:09 am

» The serious build
by Nerd Flintstone Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:08 pm

» New guy from Australia
by Andy. Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 am

» 2nd Crossbow Project
by Geezer Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

» sights fot powermaster
by kenh Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams53.58

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Post by Mr SAM on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:30 am

Good time of day! santa

I Want to present to you a few 16-th century crossbow photos, which adorns our forum as the first sample of medieval crossbows :flower: (It also adorns the desktop of my computer - is one of my favorite king :queen: )

Last edited by Mr SAM on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Post by Ivo on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 am

I'm crazy about this one too drunken

Perhaps you can tell us more about it some time in the future, especially show us where the trigger is "REALLY" located on this type crossbow. bounce :affraid: lol!

Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Post by Mr SAM on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Ivo wrote:...

Perhaps you can tell us more about it some time in the future, especially show us where the trigger is "REALLY" located on this type crossbow. bounce :affraid: lol!

No problem, sir! king
    Please! lol!

As you can see the object, which earlier in the older crossbow was the trigger lever, it became a decorative detail.
    The new model trigger was similar to this in modern guns in the 16-th century German crossbow study

Last edited by Mr SAM on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

William Tell
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Medieval Crossbow pictures

Post by William Tell on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Hello !! and Greetings to all lovers of crossbows ( like me)

Guys, I am no expert or anything. All I do is teach adults on how to make authentic functional medieval arms and armour. However here is my first result in the making of this crossbow ( pictures attached ) It is a rather heavy crossbow in fact it is practically impossible to cock it with bare hands. if anyone can please inform me on what draw weight and velocity it has would be greatly appreciated.

Prod = spring steel. 29 inch long
    width at center = 1,7/8 inches = 4.8cm
    thickness of prod = 8/32inch = 6mm
    draw distance = 8inch= 20.4cm

thank you

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:29 am

William Tell wrote:......here is my first result in the making of this crossbow ( pictures attached ) It is a rather heavy crossbow in fact it is practically impossible to cock it with bare hands. if anyone can please inform me on what draw weight and velocity it has would be greatly appreciated.

Prod = spring steel. 29 inch long
    width at center = 1,7/8 inches = 4.8cm
    thickness of prod = 8/32inch = 6mm
    draw distance = 8inch= 20.4cm

Hi Will,

Welcome to the forum. Judging by the charts I saw on prod weights...it looks to be over 250lb for sure...if I'm not mistaken you've already mentioned about it being close to 300lb somewhere else. It shouldn't be too difficult to disassemble it and measure the draw weight

Your pics didn't show up...hosting works a bit differently here...you get an image code that you paste anywhere in the message(comes in handy when long discussions are held)

By the way about that calculator...here you go

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ke.html

I believe there are a couple more online...thou a chronograph would help a lot better...did you try any archery clubs? they should have one suitable for arrows(sometimes chronys for guns can't read arrows properly). Good luck!

handmade wrote:The best of old and new all hand made by file and saw..[img][/img]

Mr. SAM is also having image posting issues...half of the world can see them...the other can't...in fact he himself can't see his OWN images. pale

William Tell
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Hi Ivo !

Post by William Tell on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Thank you for the info re: the draw weight, actually I did show it to a friend over here and he judged it to be somewhere around 250-300lb just as you told me.

Last edited by Ivo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Trying to upload some pictures)

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 am

As promised promised I'm posting images from Metropolitan Museum of Art...I thank Mr SAM for encouraging me to go on this trip as I was also able to take my younger brother with me. The kid was thrilled to see all the amazingly beautiful weapons, armour, as well as other artifacts.

This crossbow actually brought up a question when I showed it to MR SAM...we thought it was a lever action crossbow/wheel lock rifle hybrid ...a combination weapon in other words...BUT the lever that I think it's supposed to have does not appear to be of the "column" design where a lever rises out of the gap in the arrow rail and spans the bow...as you can see on the photos the arrow track does not have any guides or gaps in it...does any one have any ideas?

Perhaps it was the column lever crossbow, but was later modified into a combination weapon leaving the looks of the lever but disallowing it's function. I'm really hoping there is some other explanation thou jocolor

PS: The more I look at the drawing and comparing it to the crossbow...the more I think the lever wasn't for spanning the bow, but for loading the hammer of the rifle...and that there is no mistake that this is in fact a pellet crossbow...assuming that this is not the lever finger that we see in the drawing, but actually a clay ball or something of the sort loaded into a small cradle that is not present in the museums exposition.

Last edited by Ivo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:41 am

Mr SAM wrote:Good time of day! santa

Huray! Mr SAM is Back and his pictures are loading again!!! cheers cheers cheers

Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Post by Mr SAM on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Ivo wrote:...
    This crossbow actually brought up a question when I showed it to MR SAM...we thought it was a lever action crossbow/wheel lock rifle hybrid ...a combination weapon in other words...BUT the lever that I think it's supposed to have does not appear to be of the "column" design where a finger copes out of the gap in the arrow rail and spans the bow...as you can see on the photos the arrow track does not have any guides or gaps in it...does any one have any ideas?

Perhaps it was the column lever crossbow, but was later modified into a combination weapon leaving the looks of the lever but disallowing it's function. I'm really hoping there is some other explanation thou jocolor

... a small cradle that is not present in the museums exposition.

You are right absolutely! Laughing Laughing Laughing

All this shown clearly in this drawing from Bekhajms "The Weapon Encyclopedia". The column lever cocks simultaneously a bowstring and a wheellock.

Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Post by Mr SAM on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Ivo wrote:
    Huray! Mr SAM is Back and his pictures are loading again!!! cheers cheers cheers

Thank you, Ivo! lol!
    I am very Glad to see you all again too!!!! Very Happy

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for the good open side view of the lever action crossbow gun...Which weapons encyclopedia did you find it in? I found this one and it sort of looks like what you mentioned...LINK

Also speaking of those German crossbows with crazy triggers that are hanging above the crossbow gun... Very Happy

Last edited by Ivo on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 am; edited 4 times in total

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 am

Zmeelink
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Zmeelink on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Ivo wrote:Which weapons encyclopedia did you find it in?

Hi Ivo and Mr. SAM, glad to see you Smile Smile
    The book is W. Boeheim Handbuch der Waffenkunde. Das Waffenwesen in seiner historischen Entwicklung vom Beginn des Mittelalters bis zum Ende des 18 Jahrhunders

Here you find it in Russian http://annals.xlegio.ru/evrope/behaym/behaym.htm

Question to Mr. SAM: Does the lever of crossbow gun work as a loading mechanism for wheel lock only, and not use for spannig bowstring?

Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Zmeelink wrote:
    Ivo wrote:Which weapons encyclopedia did you find it in?

Here you find it in Russian http://annals.xlegio.ru/evrope/behaym/behaym.htm

Thank you Zmeelink...very interesting and in my native language as well... cheers study

Zmeelink wrote:Question to Mr. SAM: Does the lever of crossbow gun work as a loading mechanism for wheel lock only, and not use for spanning bowstring?

I also got slightly confused on the part of "spanning" vs. "cocking"...[Edit] I first wrote some nonsense, but now after reading a bit on it I think I can formulate it a little better now.

how I understud it... the first motion of the lever arm cocks the wheel lock hammer and aids in drawing of the bow by "partially" moving the string latch(nut) towards the carriage which is attached to the bowstring. With the lever still opened the bow is spanned with a goats foot lever. I expected a little more magic from this crossbow, but it turns out that sometimes the magical complexity is much simpler than we think. Smile

I get my stuff from here:

На рис. 486 представлено устройство баллестра с глубокой инкрустацией слоновой костью на ложе из грушевого дерева, а также принципиальная схема колесцового замка и (отчасти) натяжного механизма стального лука. При опускании рычага (F) спусковой механизм с орехом выдвигается до зацепления с штифтами тележки (А), в которой закреплена тетива (а). Рейкой (g) при этом взводится боевая пружина колесцового замка. Курок (d) с кремнем откинут вверх. Для выстрела давят на спусковой крючок (r), который освобождает тягу (p) с помощью рычага (k), соединенного с боевой пружиной, которая заставляет вращаться колесцо. Вне боевой обстановки ствол затыкался пробкой (n). [301]

and to support the goats foot lever comment(right under the second picture):

Рис. 487. Баллестр с рис. 486 в изометрической проекции, со взведенным курком и готовой к натяжению тетивы «козьей ногой».

And the spanning of the bow is finished off with the lever locked back in place which pulls the trigger mechanism assembly back into it's seat. Thanks for the resources my friends, I begin to love this more and more with every minute I spend in your company!!! cheers study

Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

The Crossbow-gun

Post by Mr SAM on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

As m-r Iwo had been mentioned a Crossbow-gun theme, I would like to tell about that one interesting. study

With the wheellock invention the fire-arms gain the increasing distribution across all Europe. It were the samples of a great skill quite often combined with other types of weapon – swords, axes, daggers, well and, certainly, crossbows. Fighting value of the majority of copies is doubtful, but the basic purpose of the combined weapon was not in fighting application - it has quickly turned in a status thing, an accessory of the mighty of this world. Owing to the uniqueness and target audience this weapon has usually been ornated.

There is a crossbow-gun concerns such status things from the Bavarian National museum in Munich. The weapon belonged to Austrian duck Ferdinand I Gabsburg (1503-1564), the emperor of The Holy Roman Empire. It has been presented to him by wife Anna, sister of Hungarian-Czech king Louis II (Lajosh II Jagellonsky). A fire trunk and wheellock the top, a nut and a trench - from below are located from above. (Or on the contrary, depending on that than to consider this artefact first of all - a gun or crossbow).

All metal parts of the weapon blued also are partially gilt. It is considered that its pistol type wheellock is oldest of all reached to us.

It is dated 1521-1526. In this interval specify the arms decorating it (are available the monogram both Ferdinand Gabsburg, and Anna, their wedding has taken place in 1521, but among the arms on a trunk there is no Bohemia and Hungary which earths Ferdinand in 1526, after destruction of Lajosh II in fight at Mohache, has attached to the possession). On the museum tablet crossbow it is presented as Italian, however its doubtless similarity with bows from a Maksimilian I collection , up to a covering from a red varnish and the gilt ornament on a stock, allows to carry it to products from Aragon(Spain).

I apologise for quality of photos and as a bonus I offer you my reconstruction drawing of this crossbowgun king

Current date/time is Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 am