The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+14
Hermit
CyBear
Todd the archer
mac
vabowyer
basileus
Warhammer1
8fingers
Pavise
kiwijim
Basilisk120
Regerald
Geezer
Ivo
18 posters

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Empty Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing

Post by Ivo Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm stuck at work guys..and just happen to be stuck at the computer Cool

A bullet crossbow has been on my mind for a long time and we've discussed the various types with their pro's and con's, so a barreled bullet bow is what stuck in my mind. There are active discussions on the net regarding the rifling in these bullet bow barrels, but no one seems to know for sure whether rifling will be useful in a crossbow and even further from actually attempting to cut some rifling to test it out.

So I decided to give it a try by starting out with the assumed to be "the hardest part" - Barrel rifling jig.

Here is the jig drawing...nothing revolutionary...just a rod with a cutter secured at the tip and a piece of aluminum or steel tubing with a guide slot cut in it...it is a pull through design since pushing it can get things flexing and I don't want that.

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Riglin11
    Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Riflin11

The first problem I encountered was kinda pathetic, but damn it ...how the hell do you plot the guide slot on a round surface...well you know what they say...if you can't do with any other tool...there is always "ductape". Laughing

Well...masking tape will do just as well...so plot the slot outline on a piece of tape and just roll the tube in it..then dremel the hell out of it...that's my solution. Razz

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Cutter12

The cutter head and the connector are still in question since I have to account for metal chips that might clog things up and make my life very difficult, so suggestions are welcome.

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Cutter13
    Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Connec11
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Empty Re: Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing

Post by 8fingers Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Found this video and thought it might be inspiring.

Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Empty Re: Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing

Post by Basilisk120 Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Nice video 8fingers. Makes me want to learn Russian, though I think I could pick out the word for crossbow. (Arbalet? or something similar, my spelling is going to be way off)

So at around the 5:30 mark was that crossbow a convertible crossbow? Add a top piece and it can fire bullets, remove it and its back to a bolt firing crossbow?
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Post by 8fingers Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

That is what I thought I saw, remove barrel and driver from stock, screw into place and shoot ball bearings.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:59 pm

I've heard about that crossbow. Unfortunately the video is a bit misleading.

The barrel that slides on top of the arrow track is in fact a "magazine" that holds the ammo. Once the crossbow is loaded, a ball drops from the mag onto the arrow track right in front of the string...or perhaps it's fed under a retainer clip by a slightly more sophisticated mechanism as the crossbow is spanned....but in the end, little was done to make this bow an accurate bullet-bow. The ball is brutally pushed along the arrow track by the string. God knows where the string jumped when contacting the ball...can be under the ball *bringing it in contact with the mag* and the ball will be rotating backwards - getting lift...or...string jumped higher and the ball is now pushed along the track and is rolling forward - making it drop faster.

I mean...I just read it's not very accurate and I'm trying to understand why. Smile

It is a pretty cool crossbow though. The platform chosen for this bow is a simple pipe...starting at the riser and housing/or in any other way helping retain every other component, ans even ending as a cheek rest.

http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/55/391789.html

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 16943312

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 16943311 - Not Resized

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 17050611

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 17050610 - Not Resized

Still... there might be a chance that they had the right idea of not using an actual barrel to push the ball along.

Maybe a few small additions will make that bit actually beneficial...gotta let that roll around in the head a bit.
    Smile

Ivo
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 am

This does not use a barrel but you can shot lead balls with it.

Todd

Last edited by Ivo on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please, post the video...not the link to the video. :))
    CyBear
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Empty A few late ideas...

Post by CyBear Sun May 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Wish I had found this some years ago, and sorry to post to such an old one, but...

Regarding rifling cutter depth:  I saw a rifling cutter supposedly used for making Kentucky Rifle barrels in a museum about 35 years ago, and the placard said bits of paper were added under the cutters after several passes to increase the depth of the cut.  

Regarding the bullet engaging the rifling and friction, a lubricated patch would be most probably work, and the right combination of precise balls/bullets/projectiles and fine cloth should help reduce friction.

Regarding the string engaging the projectile, many airguns use a plunger.  Why couldn't the barrel and breach be mounted more forward, and the bow (prod?) mounted behind the barrel and the draw kept to a minimum, so that a plunger could be used.  That would eliminate the need for a "pass through" design for the string within the barrel. The plunger should also have a freely rotating head to reduce friction.

The design I'm thinking of would need to be loaded from the muzzle with a rod, like my black powder rifle.
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Hermit Mon May 26, 2014 7:39 am

Some years ago,a language arts teacher in the Appalachians started a magazine,using his students as reporters and editors.The result of this,was extensive interviews by the kids with local old timers on country crafts,and ways of making and using everything from toys to rifles.This program was so successful,that it resulted in a series of books titled Foxfire.The books were numbered from 1 to 10.Foxfire No.5 is the one you want,it covers 'ironmaking,blacksmithing,flintlock rifles,and bear hunting.there is extensive info. on how to rifle musket barrels using tools that you can make yourself,mostly from wood.
                                      Hermit.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Mon May 26, 2014 10:03 am

Geezer here, commenting on rifled bullet-bows.  Not that I'm terribly interested in making such a bow myself, but you don't HAVE to use steel for a rifle-barrel on a bullet-crossbow.  One could drill and then rifle a billet of hard, greasy plastic, like Delrin... same process as with a steel barrel... drill it on a metal-lathe, then cut grooves.  Then you make your projectiles with a special studded collar that fits the rifling precisely.  Perhaps that could be cast, or even machined, again in a hard plastic.  That way you'd get a precisely fitted projectile running in a low-friction and low-weight track.  What a challenge, non?
    Rizzar
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Rizzar Mon May 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Interesting thread though I didn´t have the time to read it carefully.

But I need to say that there will be no barrel rifling needed with crossbows.

Rifling is to bring a bullet due to tight into rotation.
    Every projectile would benefit from this point. (see spin of bolts arrows and projectile ballistics)

But against the Gunpowder powered systems a crossbow does not benefit from/or need counter pressure after release.

So a barrel should only prevent your crossbow projectile from leaving its way for a relative short amount of time. This evolved by the difficulty of building proper working splitstring bullet crossbows (italian and german "schneppers" for example) and come along with a loss in firepower due to the barrels friction.

You would not want anything that slows down your projectile with a crossbow.
    The barrels of the original guided crossbows will have a relatively loose fit I bet.

The plunger idea as another problem, too.
    Unless you build your planned barrel a lot longer than your "bolt-track" you will be loosing acceleration distance.
    Second con is that plunger will weigh something, which leads automatically to a loss of energy that can not be transferred to the projectile again.

Hope I expressed my thoughts well enough to be understandble in these early morning hours, gotta go to work.
    Bye Rizzar
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 am

Rizzar:  your points are indeed clear, and right on the money.  Adding rifling with a tight bore to a crossbow, particularly with a plunger, only costs energy, whereas a properly fletched bolt/arrow already has the spin without the obvious cost.  Still there's a group out there who still toy with the concept, so I thought i would provide a little thinking outside the box.  If you're not subjecting the 'barrel' of a bullet-bow to high internal pressures, it's not necessary to make it of steel, and since studded projectiles were used in some 19th century artillery, making studded, low-friction projectiles might help overcome some of the obvious friction-problems.  If the projectile is properly shaped, it wouldn't need a plunger. 
    Then again, how about a discarding-sabot projectile for a bullet-bow? Again, we have lost energy through the sabot, but the internal dart could be a hum-dinger! 
    Geezer, just thinkin'
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Tue May 27, 2014 9:17 am

I think you guys are correct in the above posts. I will just add that I have made my own rifled barrels from scratch for Black Power rifles including boring out the barrels, reaming and rifling, and building the rifling machine. It was a major project to say the least that went on for several years.
    And as stated above by others I don't think it would be practical for Xbows. Just think about the relative forces involved. Even BP rifles have working pressure around 10,000 PSI. So for a 50 cal barrel, that is close to 2000 lb of force on the bullet! Shocked It actually deforms the bullet (or round ball/patch) and forces the lead into the grooves, and engraves the bullet. I cut my grooves about .012" for patched round balls. For my tight fitting round balls with lubed patches, it took about 30 LB of force just to push it down the barrel. That kind of tight fit and deep (compared to jacketed bullets in modern guns) was needed to keep the ball/patch from "skipping the rifling" because the spin up was so fast the inertia of the bullet was huge. Like from zero to 200 RPS in 4 Msec. Or an acceleration of 43,000 RPS /second.  Shocked 
    We just aren't going to get those kind of forces out of a an xbow. In fact I guesstamate that it the BP rifle uses more power just to spin the bullet than we get out of a Xbow! Sad
    And at the relatively low velocity we get with Xbows, it would have very little effect. Some but probably not noticeable.
    Just my 2 cents. . .
    John
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Hermit Wed May 28, 2014 7:11 am

Yep,does',nt matter which way you cut it,there is more power obtainable from expanding gasses,than from a spring.If this was not the case,development of bullet firing crossbows would be much further along.Personally,I would think that adding rifling,even shaped sabots,would take away so much power that the performance would be at best,dissapointing.
                                                                    Hermit.
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 am

jaeger22 wrote:
    We just aren't going to get those kind of forces out of a an xbow. In fact I guesstamate that it the BP rifle uses more power just to spin the bullet than we get out of a Xbow! Sad

Well, usual "UK-legal" air rifles have only 7 Joule muzzle energy. Friction issues should not be exaccurated.

And of course crossbow barrell does not need to be gas tight. I have been thinking about these and IMO the way to go is square or oval barrell with slight twist at the end.

As far as "plungers" go- one possible and quite effective approach would be medieval bat-springald: string does not push bullet, but instead the bullet sits in a slot at brace height and the string just snaps it off. This will work- I have tried it with this
    Bullet bow with a rifled barrel - Discussion & Project planing - Page 2 Kuva0238_859
    - https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t689-paleo-legal-compound#6411 - airgun pellet placed at forward end of bolt track was kicked its width deep sideways into pine board- so speed was decent. String was destroyed after couple dozen shots though.

It is just matter of finding right materials for the striking surfaces.
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 am

Geezer wrote:
    Then again, how about a discarding-sabot projectile for a bullet-bow? Again, we have lost energy through the sabot, but the internal dart could be a hum-dinger! 
    We could allways loose the sabot and mount the dart straight against string.
    Darts are quite commonly used with crossbows. I believe professionals call them "bolts" . Wink
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:02 am

Here is interesting solution to the problem by member Fiddler
    http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/59648/Hickory-board-cross-bow-tested-my-ball-rock-shooting-arrow

He uses cup pointed arrow as a sabot .
    wdh1974
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by wdh1974 Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:23 pm

I know compounds have a "air rifle" attachment

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm