» crossbow stock shape
by 8fingers Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

» How to make a slurbow?
by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:36 am

» installing a tickler
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:21 am

» Seal lath bindings, what to use?
by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 am

» Compound twinbow pistol (posts vs pulleys)
by c sitas Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:10 pm

» Contact details of steel prod makers
by Geezer Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 pm

» measuring speed
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:31 am

» birch bark covering
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am

» thank you n hope to learn in this forum
by kenh Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:01 am

» Red Oak Board (x)Bow.
by banuvatt Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am

» New member intro and couple of questions
by Wildtech Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:46 am

» best way of spanning a 200+lb bow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am

» where to find antler for nut construction
by victortkz Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

» Steel prod - unknown draw weight
by Cornerstone Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am

» making a reproduction of a 15th century cranequin
by victortkz Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 am

Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish Empty Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish

Post by Ivo on Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey Guys,

Just ordered some Gun-Kote from Brownells.
    Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish Gunkot10

So...to catch you up on the story "why?"...

I'm making some triggers and would like a nice durable matte black finish on them. All the projects I'm working I've been thinking up with this or similar sweet finish in mind. Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish 186986

It should be getting here in a few days, so we'll see how it goes.

>>>This is the first time I'm doing this sort of thing, so if you got some "DON'T DO THIS!!!" advise or any other helpful feedback on your experiences with Gun-Kote and other finishes - As always - Welcome to chip in. Very Happy

Good Day,

Ivo

Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish Untitled
    ~ "I don't have any special talents. I'm only passionately curious."
    ~ "All Genius is Simple"
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish Empty Re: Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish

Post by Geezer on Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Just remember, bake-on finishes will require you to heat your metal. If it's tempered steel, it may not be tempered when you're done. So for lockplates, bolt-clips and stirrups, you should have no problems. For prods... consult with the prod-smith before heating.
    I once had some Norwegians try to torch-blue one of my aluminum alloy prods (70-75-T6) Oddly enough it never did turn blue, but all the springy went away! Geezer
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks Geezer,

I think it cures at around 300F, so a little toaster oven will be used for it. I also thought about it losing some temper, but Brownells guys assured me it's going to be fine...I am going to be doing springy steel bolt clips, so we'll see how those thin parts stand up to heat. I'll also send Jim an e-mail about curing gun-koat on prods...thanks for the suggestion. Smile

An interesting question came up while I was reading the reviews on this stuff. Since this coating is solvent resistant (and this is why I ordered a spray can instead of just liquid) - how in the world would you clean the paint gun after applying it to the parts? I have a rather expensive HVLP sitting on the shelf right now...excellent finish with that thing, but thoughts of ruining it makes my skin crawl. I'm guessing you would need to clean the gun immediately after use(while the stuff is still liquid)? or is there as some special solvent or some protective agent for guns? Guess I'll be calling the company for more info, because I also got some equipment I'd like to coat with this stuff and want to use the gun for that ... can vs. gun = earth vs. sky. Smile

Ivo

~ "All Genius is Simple"
    jake-owa
    jake-owa
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by jake-owa on Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am

A solvent resistant finish is only so after dry/cure. It can be thinned/cleaned with the proper solvent when wet.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 on Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Geezer wrote:I once had some Norwegians try to torch-blue one of my aluminum alloy prods (70-75-T6) Oddly enough it never did turn blue, but all the springy went away! Geezer

Brownells - Gun-Kote Bakeon Finish 576186 That is a learning experience for somebody. scratch thanks Geezer that story made my morning. cheers

Something Something Dark Side
    Master Bran Padraig
    Master Bran Padraig
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by Master Bran Padraig on Tue May 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Looks like a very nice product. I would like to hear how tough it is.

Almost all steel alloys can handle 350° F or less for 30 mins without hurting the temper.
    Spring tempered steel parts, for the most part, can go up to 450° F without hurting the temper since they are tempered at a higher temperature anyway. Some can go much higher than that with no worries.
    Mild steel or non-heated steel parts can be heated without any concern as there is no temper to lose.
    7075 T6 Aluminum is age heat treated at 250° F (per AMS 2770H) for 24 hours. Taking it above 250° F will lower it's strength properties depending on how hot it gets (really drops above 350°F). At 750-800°F, 7075 is fully annealed.

Nice story about trying to heat tint (blue) the Aluminum prod.
    Tinker
    Tinker
    Techno Weeny Supreme
    Techno Weeny Supreme

Post by Tinker on Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am

Brownells has "good stuff".
    It has been a long time since I did any of it but I have used baked enamel coatings on small gun parts quite a lot and found they were very durable. Before Brownell started selling baking enamel, word had it that one could use any good-quality spray enamel (such as NapaAuto or RustOleum, etc. brands) and bake it in the oven. Wife would give me hell for stinking up her kitchen, but it went away quickly. Exact times and temperatures are fuzzy, but I think it was 200degrees for thirty minutes to an hour. One of the first things I did was a scraped-up Ruger 3-screw .44 Mag aluminum backstrap with semi-gloss black. It came out 'Aces' and very tough! The beauty of it is that if you happen to get a scratch (unlikely) just again 400-Wet-Or-Dry the part and re-do it...simple fix. Seriously doubt 200 degrees is going to hurt anything. Try it on a scrap and see for yourself...
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo on Sat May 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys. Smile

The info on 7075 alloy is very interesting, I believe there is another non bake coating that Brownells has that's also pretty tough as well as flexible which would be excellent for aluminum alloy limbs...biting my tongue here to say Cerakote, but could be another one, got to double check.

I'm still waiting on my stuff - missed the shipment on the 27'th, now got to wait till Tuesday with the holiday and all. pale ...on the other hand...Have a good holiday! cheers

Can't wait to get my hands on that gunkote stuff!!! drunken

Ivo

~ "All Genius is Simple"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm