The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

Cranequin the maximum draw weight.

Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Cranequin the maximum draw weight. Empty Cranequin the maximum draw weight.

Post by Michael Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:49 am

What is the maximum draw weight of a cranequin on a medieval type crossbow. This past summer in Germany somewhere there was a get together of area shooters. A member from Sweden a Mr. Halvslak sent back some really cool video of the competition. I notice on the video many of the shooters where using a cranequin to span their weapons. Does anyone knowhow many pounds of draw weight that a cranequin can handle.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Cranequin the maximum draw weight. Empty Re: Cranequin the maximum draw weight.

Post by Geezer Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 am

What's the maximum draw weight for a cranequin? It depends on the cranequin of course, but potentially it's lots and lots. The most powerful bows I have seen are fitted for cranequins, including the big siege-bow at the Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna.
    To be on the conservative side, let's say well over a thousand pounds, IF the cranequin is built right. Geezer.
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Post by Michael Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Geezer: First off I got a lot of compliments on the crossbow you made for me. What I'm talking about is not a siege but a regular hand held one. Stock in the range of 25> 29 inches long. There is a bow on the Mutal of Poland web site with a cranequin. So it's not on heard of to have a crossbow that has the power to draw 400lb> 500lb. How on the metal type or grade to be used in making a cranequip to handle that type of spanning requriment. All kinds of questions are popping into the brain now . Gear ratio used in the application to draw back (lets say 8 inches) from resting point to lock and load the nut. I would enjoy a dialog on this subject. Thank you Dave for answer.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Michael: Some years ago, I built a very nice crossbow for a customer who wanted it fitted with a Matuls cranequin. The bow wasn't stout enough to require the cranequin, but it worked out very well indeed. At that time, Matuls offered two cranequins, one for lighter and the other for heavier bows. As far as I could see, the only difference was the mounting for the heavy cord loop that fits over the cranequin-pins a short distance behind the roller-nut. The lighter cranequin might fail there, where a stronger mount would accomodate a very strong bow. How strong? I DON'T REALLY KNOW.
    YOU CAN FIND DETAILED DRAWINGS IN PAYNE GALLWEY'S "THE CROSSBOW" AS WELL AS IN PATERSON'S "A GUIDE TO THE CROSSBOW" HARMUTH'S "DIE ARMBRUST" AND MANY OTHER SOURCES. IF YOU FOLLOW THEIR PLANS CLOSELY, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FABRICATE A CRANEQUIN THAT WILL HANDLE HUNDREDS OF POUNDS SAFELY. BEYOND THAT, I CAN'T SAY. MAYBE MAC, OR ONE OF OUR OTHER METAL-GURUS COULD GIVE YOU SOME GUIDANCE HERE. I CANNOT. GEEZER

'
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Michael: Sorry about the all-caps, my keyboard went nuts, and I neglected to check before sending. Anyway, I'm not in the habit of shouting. Geezer.
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Post by Michael Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Geezer: Thanks alot. When a stock is made to handle lets say a 500lb draw weight crossbow: ( the 500lb is just for conservation only) does one have to beef up the stock in places. Then would one have to use a steel roller nut.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 pm

I have had the opportunity to examine some strong steel crossbows, both "German" patterns, one 16th century and the other a Johan Harnish Saxon bow that might date as late as the 19th century. Both had lots of subtle reinforcement in all the places that could expect excessive wear. Where?
    The nut-sockets were heavily reinforced with bone blocks. The front of the bridle (prod-binding) hole was reinforced with a slab of bone (or ivory) where the binding-cord lies against the inside surface. Both bows had heavy iron rivets running from bottom to top of stock an inch or so behind the prod-socket, to prevent splitting.
    The Harnish bow showed a fair amount of compression of stock just behind the cranequin-pin and further compression of the bone-top where the cranequin would lie when spanning the bow.
    Are all these things necessary for a 400 lb. bow? I think you could get away with a rather lighter bone reinforce around the nut-socket and a lighter rivet or bolt to reinforce the prod socket at that weight. For a thousand-pound bow (which the Harnish bow may have been... it was a mighty prod) you would probably want more reinforcing.
    As for using a steel nut, I have seen horn/ivory nuts on Very Strong Bows, though the heaviest often have iron or steel pins driven down through the lugs of the nut, to prevent their shearing off. Actual steel or brass nuts are very rare indeed, at least till perhaps 17th century or later. Of course you would want a hardened steel sear-pin in the nut for the tickler (trigger) to bear against.
    Does that answer your questions? Geezer
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Post by Michael Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Geezer: Yes it does and more. Again Thank You Sir.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 pm

There is a Russian book on Crossbows that has a formula for rack and pinion mechanisms specifically aimed at calculating the ratios for cranequins. I'll Try to pull it up and post it here. Time to dig in my hard drive again. Smile

Also there is a little useful program here: https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t185-woodworking-for-engineers#1234 as well as a bit of into on the topic.