The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
Geezer
kenh
6 posters

Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow

kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow Empty Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow

Post by kenh Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:00 am

I remember seeing, years ago in some book of weapons, photos of an all metal folding assassin's crossbow with a range of maybe 20 ft. IIRC it was carried loaded, but with the prod folded back. The butt was a longish screw with a sort of large wingnut, and as you spun the wingnut the prod unfolded and was tensioned against the trigger nut.

Anybody seen such a critter, or am I having a Senior Moment here? All I could find on the 'Net was an all wood palm-sized folding 'bow.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow Empty Re: Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow

Post by Geezer Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Geezer here: You aren't having a Senior Moment... or maybe I'm having one too. I have seen the folding Renaissance assassin's bow in a book, but long ago. So probably it was in George Stevens' "The Crossbow from 35 years with the Weapon" or Frank Bilson's Egregious book on Crossbows... I don't remember the title, but I do remember old Frank wanted to cover metal prods with layers of tape to protect against catastrophic failure. Anyhow, I do remember such a bow, and actually knew a guy years ago who made one. Yes, it worked... basically it's a tiny balista, made of steel, with twisted skein and stiff arms. But yeah, it was pretty neat.
    So keep looking, it's out there somewhere. If I run into the pics, I'll note it here. Geezer
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow Empty Re: Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow

Post by kenh Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 am

Whew! Glad to hear that if it was a Senior Moment that they are contagious Razz
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Post by Michael Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello: I'm having the same senior moment. The book Geezer is talking about is " Field and Target Archery". The book is very old book. I was reading that book 50 years ago. That crossbow was in there alright. Well good luck on your quest. Mike
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Kenh

The book field and target archery is for sale on Alibris.com for $3.00 now I just bought one from Alibris for $1.90 ........................ just for you info.

Chaz
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:53 am

Thanx Chaz. Ordered mine too.

Here's one I just came across while surfing; not the one I remember from the book, but similar. Sold at Christies in 2003 for $12,000 plus. Is that wing nut pulling back a sort of latchet mechanism? To give you a hint of the scale, the prod is 9.75" wide...

Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow Assass14
    RKnack
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by RKnack Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 am

Seems somewhere I read that these were attributed to the de Medici family in Italy.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Kenh,

The wing nut draws the entire lock mechanism back, carying the string with it, and thus spans the bow.

Mac
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:29 pm

There is a folding "crossbow" in an article in an old issue of the Journal of the Archer Antiquaries. It is like a miniature ballista (as Geezer describes, above) I will try to find the article and scan it.

Mac
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 pm

That's what I thought Mac. Thanks. If you can find that article, that would be great! I appreciate it.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 am

Here ya' go!

I am sorry for the quality of these images. They are scans of photocopies I made over twenty years ago.

[img]Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow 110[/img]

[img]Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow 211[/img]

[img]Renaissance Folding Assassin's Crossbow 310[/img]

I am very reluctant to hazard even the roughest guess as to when this bow was built; save that it is probably post- medieval. It would be anywhere from the 16th to the 19th Century. My suspicions are that it is later, rather than earlier.

Whenever it is from, it is not long on ergonomics! It is not at all clear how you are supposed to hold the thing to shoot it, or what you are to grab it by when you turn the crank to span it.

I always had a sort of fondness for this bizarre little thing. With today's interest in "inswingers"; it is timely again.

The diagram of the trigger geometry is a bit suspect. The interaction between the trigger and the intermediate lever should be adjusted a bit. As it is, the trigger would be way too stiff.

Mac
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 am

Yup, that's the article I remember. There used to be an SCA guy called Kazimir... he made and sold medieval-style crossbows for a while... in fact, Kaz was my first real competition in the medieval-crossbow trade. As I recall, Kaz actually built one of these. I saw it... he assured me it worked, though I never actually saw it in action.
    Geezer.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks Mac! I'll get a magnifying glass on my 'good eye' and check it out in detail.

Hey Geezer -- I remember Kazimir from my days with the Barony of Caertha (Denver) and the incipient Principality of the Outlands, later the Kingdom of the Outlands. I was the first Principality Herald, known officially as The Outlandish Herald!
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 am

Ah yes, Kazimir: like lots of self-employed artisans, he was reasonably good at his craft and getting better day by day, but a really lousy businessman. Eventually he quit selling bows and just made a few for his own satisfaction. Since then there have been a couple of others with similar problems... the guy in Denton Texas made good stuff, but he got caught out with only one prod supplier, and no stock. Too bad, he would have fit in with this group just fine. Geezer
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 am

So, the more I look at that folding-mini-balista, the more I like it. I would sort of like to build one, but the information in the pics of the article is just not sufficient. Does anyone out there live withing easy reach of Birmingham? Perhaps they would be kind enough to take some pics.....?

My suspicion is that the authors are wrong in asserting the frame would fold as a result of the recoil. I imagine that when it is properly skeined up and strung, the folding frame members have to be forced against the pre-tension in order to get the braces to go into their notches in the "tiller". It seems like someone with one of those wiz-bang computer modeling programs could test this out without actually building the weapon. (Any takers?)

Mac

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 am