Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» has anyone checked out the sling shot channel lately?
by Geezer Today at 8:55 pm

» Reciprocating Saw?
by c sitas Yesterday at 8:41 am

» Brace Hieght?
by chaz Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:02 pm

» My 2nd crossbow project - german crossbow with cranequin
by fester Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 pm

» Hemp cord and nut drilling?
by fester Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:22 am

» My project Powermaster
by EugeneSlagle Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:54 pm

» Lillohus crossbow
by Dark Factor Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:45 pm

» Old Powermaster project & question.
by EugeneSlagle Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 am

» Medieval composite bows
by Dark Factor Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:44 am

» Medieval bowyer
by Dark Factor Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm

» New crossbow builder
by wjbates1430 Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

» Airsoft Crossbow-Finished at Last!
by JacobL Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

» Powermaster Madness
by c sitas Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 am

» Powermaster
by c sitas Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am

» Best wood for a novice?
by Geezer Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 am

» Adding a steel sear insert?
by Geezer Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 am

» Great Machines
by c sitas Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:39 pm

» Medieval Crossbow Bolts DIY Question
by Rumburak Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 pm

» Berkhamsted Castle and Glasgow Museum wooden prod crossbow
by Juniper Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm

» Beware of Alchem
by Archer46176 Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

» How to measure and cut leather for prod
by Celtic Archer Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:56 pm

» Crossbow with built in lever?
by John Edgerton Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:38 pm

» Of Bows and Torsion Engines
by JacobL Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:03 pm

» Early Lever and pin Crossbow
by topfmine Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

» Crusader crossbow
by topfmine Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 am

Gnumber Five

Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Gnumber Five

Post by Gnome on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey all, I finally got a semi-coherent plan and most of the components together for this concept that's been bouncing around the drawing pad for quite a while. Jeorg supplied the kick start with his rubber-powered throwing knife tosser. The very weekend I had everything lined up and no other plans or commitments, I lost power for five days along with a lot of other folks in the U.S Capitol area. The juice came back just in time for July 4th. I got as far as you see here and then my old camera gave out, still haven't replaced it.

I've made some great progress since this photo was taken, mainly cutting the interior track components. Anyhow, I've got two 18", 80# fiberglass pistol prods mounted in an aluminum rectangular tube that is 1x2" outer dimensions with 1/8" walls, giving a track area 3/4" wide. The protype projectile is resting on top, along with the shuttle it fits into that rides the track opening in the center, between the two prods. The shuttle I cut from 1/4" Delrin, and the prod tips I cut from a 1" rod of the same. Steel pins hold brass pulleys from a cheap rope cocking device. What I learn from this project will go into a design for a larger, compound version. The string is just a cheap stand-in, I'll wind my own. I'll probably have to replace the prods, too, as these have gotten a bit beat up by test fitting.

It got more interesting for me after the camera died. At my job I use a Zund G3 digital cutter that I've used in the past with a blade attachement to cut cardstock templates for marking my lumber and metal stock. I finally figured out how to cut some of the parts themselves on the machine with the router attachement. I cut the interior tracks and filler sections from 1/4" UHMW sheet, as well as prod clamp plates from the Delrin sheet. My hand cut and tooled pieces work great, but the machine cut pieces look so much nicer! I'm thinking of doing the trigger/lock components in Delrin, too. Speaking of which, that's where I could use some advice. I've got a few ideas, but nothing I'm in love with. I was thinking this would be a bullpup pistol, now I'm thinking a short shaft mounted to the back would be nice.

Gnome
    Kale Schlegel
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Re: Gnumber Five

Post by Kale Schlegel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Holy $&*@ ! I had the exact same idea floating through my head for the last two nights. How did you mount the two together ? Man I can only imagine how cool the compound one will look ! Also I think that this being bullpup may be too small , and I'm not 100% sure what you meant by "short shaft mounted to the back." ???
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Oh, I just mean adding a stock extension to make it more of a carbine than a pistol. I would really like to combine a shoulder stock with an integrated spanning device.
    Kale Schlegel
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Kale Schlegel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 pm

That would be cool to see. I'd say a build in cocking aid like the regular cobra 80lb, albeit maybe something sturdy , as mine has some play. I've always wanted to add a stock to it, partly because the trigger sucks.(one piece)Also , I've never tested, partly because i dont have the tools, do the 80# limbs actually pull 80# or is it less ?
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 am

I haven't measured the pull, but the two of them together is too much, in too small a space, for me to span it without some kind of mechanical assistance. In it's current configuration it needs to be loaded before it's cocked, too, and that complicates things. I'd really like to put a long screw in there with a ratchet-crank, not sure if I can figure out that for this build, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content