Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» How to make a slurbow?
by banuvatt Today at 12:08 pm

» Compound twinbow pistol (posts vs pulleys)
by c sitas Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:10 pm

» Contact details of steel prod makers
by Geezer Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 pm

» Seal lath bindings, what to use?
by banuvatt Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 am

» measuring speed
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:31 am

» installing a tickler
by Geezer Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 am

» birch bark covering
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am

» thank you n hope to learn in this forum
by kenh Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:01 am

» Red Oak Board (x)Bow.
by banuvatt Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am

» New member intro and couple of questions
by Wildtech Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:46 am

» best way of spanning a 200+lb bow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am

» where to find antler for nut construction
by victortkz Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

» Steel prod - unknown draw weight
by Cornerstone Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am

» making a reproduction of a 15th century cranequin
by victortkz Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 am

» can you point me in the direction of a post on nut-making
by kenh Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 am

» Chinese Han Dynasty Crossbow 300lbs 20" powerstroke
by Geezer Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

» My latest crossbow creation, the Vanquish
by MPDVM Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 pm

» Steel prod on a crossbow
by c sitas Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am

» robin allen crossbow for sale or trade
by elkhunter Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 pm

» man made material for reinforced socket
by 8fingers Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

» Dimension help
by kenh Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 am

» how do I finish a mixed material tiller
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

» All metal Self Loading Crossbow Build Information needed
by Wildtech Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 am

» hello! introductions
by kenh Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:31 pm

» Brand new Demon crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 am

Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls

stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls Empty Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls

Post by stoneagebowyer on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 am

Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 143_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 141_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 137_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 132_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 130_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 139_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 132_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 147_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 128_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 142_fullFamily archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls 145_full

Hi everyone. Since some crossbows were involved, I thought I'd share an event from yesterday at my club, FCSC. I had designed and we finished construting a small, basic archery range this past May. We had a free event the other day, and provided a lot of various kinds of bows at various weights, arrows, arm guards, etc. I had zombie deer target overlays, baloons, etc, to shoot at, and also set up an atlatl target and provided about 35 darts and about 12 different styles of atlatls I have made over the last few years.

I also provided a medieval crossbow, the little Chinese repeater, and a modern Horton crossbow. Folks loved all three crossbows, and I think I converted a few folks to the joys of crossbows. One guy, and experienced hunter, really dug the idea that you need to practice and develop skills using the old style weapons, and kids loved the repeater. The atlatls were incredibly popular, too.

Here are some photos. The theme was Hunger Games, and girls outnumbered boys in participation. We even had an Olympic caliber archer from Italy who is probably going to join the club. We had people from all over the region attend, including a family from Albany, NY.

These events are exhasting to put on, but worth it. We decided to donate food to the event, so we had burgers, dogs and Italian sausage for free, plus ice cream for the kids. I have out a bunch of Hunger Games buttons and zombie hunting permits as well.

In case you are wondering, I am the guy in the porkpie hat.

Dane
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls Empty Re: Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls

Post by kenh on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:28 am

Looks like a great time was had by all! Nice work - both you and the club - in promoting older ways of doing things.

Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls Empty Re: Family archery day - bows, crossbows, atlatls

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 am

gone

Last edited by Gui on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks guys. And thanks about the porkpie. I love that style, and being a former musician, it appeals to me that way.

Gui, thanks about the range. Aside from augering to sink in the fence posts (New England soil is very rocky) and grading and graveling, it was all club talent who contributed to this range. I just designed it, but the real work was lots of folks working together. We purchased the fencing materials from a local sawmill, and other purchases were all local businesses. Nice to help the local economy.

Dane

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 pm