The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+4
ZigiMan
chaz
kenh
Gnome
8 posters

Pistol Build #2

Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 Empty Pistol Build #2

Post by Gnome Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hey all! After what seems like ages I've finally had enough time at the workbench to develop a new design. It's still a work in progress, but since it's now fully functional I thought it was time to share.
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0426_zps225464d9
    I had several goals with this build, which is basically version 2.0 of my first pistol, https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t618-crossbow-3-pistol-1
    Of course I wanted to increase the power, which was accomplished by adding another inch of draw and another leaf to the spring- there are two full length steel prods (here's an Amazon link if you'd like to know what I'm referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Crossbow-Metal-Replacement-Prod/dp/B009XXGA18/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362316775&sr=8-3&keywords=steel+crossbow+prod), plus one cut to about 2/3. I've got another piece on the bench cut to 1/3, to be added later if I think it can take it.
    I also wanted to use up stuff I had lying around the shop rather than spending any money, it is tax season! So far so good there. The stock is a laminate with a 1/4" bloodwood center, then 14" red oak running the full length, more bloodwood up front and 1/8" bubinga to beef up the nut socket and grip area.
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0427_zps7ad23bf5
    Most interesting, to me at least, is the lock/release mech, made from 1/4" Delrin sheet. I'd been toying with this idea for a while, and for this initial use I kept the mech design simple. There are no steel axle pins, the pins are just to make sure the trigger housing stays rigidly in place. Four was overkill, I determined, two pins would have been plenty. The whole assembly slides in from the bottom and the fit is very precise. Before you start oohhing and ahhing over the crazy carving skills required for achieving this kind of precision, I better confess that I designed it on the computer and cut the mech, center bloodwood, and red oak using a Zund digital cutting table with a router module http://www.zund.com/index.asp?topic_id=2485&m=2485&g=2529
    I stole the nut from my first pistol, I'll have to make a new one to get that unit back together. I didn't think I needed a sear insert on that one since it was low pressure, brass on delrin, and I think I need it even less here where it is delrin on delrin. I've test fired this beastie a few dozen times and so far the mech works beautifully- the pull is smooth, precise, and essentially effortless, and so far no appreciable wear or deformation.
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0428_zps532d5f89
    This is my first attempt at a cord-bound prod. Well, truthfully, what you see here is my sixth or seventh attempt at tying on the same prod! I tried a lot of different materials I had lying around before settling on the paracord, mainly because it was all I had left. After having to cut off so many attempts and start over so many times, I decided to work toward a method that could be untied fairly easily, and that's what we see here. That's one piece of cord about 7 feet long, centered in the hole and wrapped around the prod twice on each side, looped around the bundle about 13 times and then drawn back through to exit the bundle at the rear. I then drew it tight and pulled it under the bundle against the stock to further tighten and secure it, and wrapped the excess around each side of the prod and tucked it under at the ends. I did not cut off the extra length because it is required for this method, the wraps have to stay loose enough to pull the cord back through before tightening down. I wrapped the bundle around my finger and the loops going around the prod to keep things straight and then pulled the wraps tight one at a time.
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0429_zpse4a55d56
    I had to put leather pads over the ends of the 2/3 length prod leaf, no matter how I smoothed and shaped the ends the string would get cut there every time I fired. I used up three strings before I solved that issue. I don't want to wrap the entire prod, but I don't want it to look like crap like it does now, either. Right now there is a section of bicycle inner tube around the prod inside the socket to cushion and tighten that fit, it's ends tapered with holes in them that are looped around the pads. So right now my leaf-spring prod assembly is functional but ugly, and that won't do.
    Oh, and another issue with my first pistol is that it was difficult to cock since there was nothing to hold onto for any kind of leverage. D'oh! That's what the "horn" on front is for. I've got a cocking rope I modified for this one that has only one handle, with both ends of the rope attached. My idea was that you would hold the "horn" in one hand and draw back the cocking device with the other, like drawing a standard bow or slingshot. I've done it, but it doesn't work well for two reasons- first, I'm not as strong as I think I am, and second, the angle is wrong, as in there shouldn't be any angle. Your grip on the stock would have to be in line with the tension of the string, like a stirrup is usually placed, or else the stock wants to tilt and wiggle away and the string and nut don't want to meet up. So instead I put that horn under the arch of my foot, steady the stock with one hand and draw with the other.
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0430_zps4e5e583e

I'll also need to make my own strings. I've been using the strings that came with the prods, but they aren't up to this much tension. They tend to stretch rather than break.

Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0431_zps33c92d43

Last edited by Gnome on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    ZigiMan
    ZigiMan
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Pistol Build #2

Post by ZigiMan Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 am

Gnome, I am really enjoying reading your posts. I like the detailed, informative descriptions of yours!
    And of course, as I wrote before, nice work!

ZigiMan
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks, ZigiMan! I'm officially calling this one done now that I finally made a string that works well. Good thing I got it right this try, now I'm out of serving!
    Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 DSCF0493_zps92372f12
    This one is just the right length and shows no sign of stretching after a couple dozen shots. I got some commercial darts, much smaller than the ones I cobbled together but almost exactly the same weight, 9 grams. I love the way they fly but the plastic tails break way too easy. Both types are pretty accurate at short ranges and both average about 200 feet per second. My broadheads are 14 grams and I only get about 170 fps. Got to do something about that.
    Anyhow, this one has been a real joy to develop and shoot! I need to spend some time with my full size bows now- I picked one up the other day and scared myself with how big and dangerous it looked after so many weeks of focusing on this little toy.
    Gnome
    kram57
    kram57
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Pistol Build #2 - Page 2 Empty pistol xbow fps.

Post by kram57 Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am

200fps with a 9gm bolt is no mean feat!  That would take someone out at 20/30 yards if it was a head shot?  I on the other hand have somewhat cheated the DIY on my pistol xbow..I added another 3/4 length 80lb prod to a standard 80lb self loading cobra pistol xbow...I squeezed this extra prod alongside (two bows) so its gone from 160fps with a 10gm bolt to around 250fps.  With a 7gm bolt I have gone just over the 300fps.  But I have been using up tp 16gms which fly around 185fps but has a lot of punching power!   Its said that kinetic is king..but ive found its not allways the case? It depends on which material youre shooting at..like ..wood or metal etc..as speed sometimes penetrates better than weight depending on the target substance.
    Anatine Duo
    Anatine Duo
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by Anatine Duo Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 am

Great lines on that pistol and I love the simplicity of the mech (even though it looks difficult to cut precisely.
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Nicely done

Chaz
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for checking this one out, folks! Well over a year later this is still one of my favorites. It's held up pretty well, though the two full length steel prods have begun to take a set, bending a bit just at the end of the shorter one. I have quite a few spares lying around, though.

Kram, regarding it's stopping power at 20 or 30 yards... well, I haven't thought of it in those terms, but I think you're being a bit optimistic! I haven't targeted anything further than six or eight yards with it, and it hits plenty hard at that distance, but I have a feeling such a light bolt would slow down quite a bit with distance. I actually get much better accuracy with it when I don't aim- just take quick snap shots, point and shoot without aiming much at all. It's very ergomic that way.

Gnome

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 am