Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» Beware of Alchem
by kenh Today at 5:16 am

» Crossbow with built in lever?
by John Edgerton Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Of Bows and Torsion Engines
by JacobL Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:03 pm

» Early Lever and pin Crossbow
by topfmine Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

» Crusader crossbow
by topfmine Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 am

» First Efforts
by rickraedeke Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:25 am

» aluminum prod
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

» First whitetail buck taken with medieval crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 am

» Airsoft Crossbow
by JacobL Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

» Questions about steel prod specs
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

» Faking a medieval composite crossbow prod.
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:13 pm

» Airsoft Bow
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm

» Hello All!
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 pm

» Padre Island Bow
by Geezer Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

» Blocked pictures by Photobucket
by Crossbowmen Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:33 pm

» Geezer website?
by Geezer Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

» Could I get advise on order of operations?
by Bs1110101 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 am

» Renaissance Sporting crossbow
by chaz Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:22 am

» Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

» The Arbalist Guild - Around the World
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

» opinions please
by Geezer Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm

» Hello all!
by Tarzan65 Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

» Yet another one
by Daniel Levesque Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

» Renaissance peep sight
by kenh Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 am

» Chinese crossbow with auxiliary string?
by stm2010 Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am


    sights on medieval crossbows

    Share
    avatar
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 581
    Join date : 2010-02-25
    Age : 55
    Location : sellersville,pa.

    sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Todd the archer on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:11 pm

    First topic message reminder :

    Seeing the thread on set triggers got me thinking; what sighting systems were used in medieval times. I know that sighting over the bolt was probally the most common method used, but think I remember seeing sights of some sort on Italian crossbows. I hope some more knowledgeable people could explain the different types used back then, maybe with pictures.

    thanks, Todd
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 am

    Hmm, bolt length is something wich can change when using different bolts.
    Its not really medieval but i am considering making a folding rear and fixed front sight. Anyone seen those on medieval bows? Pictures are much apreciated!!!

    Rizzar
    Workshop Savvy

    Did you see my tool collection?


    Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

    Posts : 192
    Join date : 2012-08-11
    Location : Germany

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Rizzar on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 am

    Greetings

    Harmuth describes in "Die Armbrust" different types of sights.
    The ones seen in the italian video above are a help to control elevation though he mentiones to have a mark on the belly of the prod instead a special attachment like with those sporting weapons.
    I would assume sights were common with high quality hunting crossbows, too.

    Sensfelder writes in the book fo the Netherlands Royal Army Museum Collection about some of the crossbows with hints to sights but mostly later ones (18-19th century).

    The thumbthing is quite easy, the point is to make shots as constant as they can be, so with dents (or similar hints) in different positions in your tiller where you can put your thumb in and afterwards laying your cheek on, you can regulate elevation.
    With this bolt length has to be equal, too.

    Greetings Rizzar
    avatar
    jds6
    Workshop Savvy

    Did you see my tool collection?


    Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

    Posts : 197
    Join date : 2011-10-18
    Age : 54
    Location : Dallas,TX

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by jds6 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am

    Are there any known photos of these so called notches or dents on any crossbow. Would love to see what they looked like.

    jds6
    avatar
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

    Posts : 943
    Join date : 2010-01-12
    Age : 69
    Location : Austin, Texas, USA

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Geezer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 am

    Dents or reference-points for sighting: easiest to find for many 16th century Germanic bows is a dimple in the top of the stock, near the tail. Often it's shaped like a scallop (pilgrim's shell) and sometimes it's even made of inlet ivory. The 1592 bow I referenced earlier has a thin iron plate that shows at the top of the stock... has several little notches on it. I can't think of any other reason for it to be there. Geezer
    avatar
    jds6
    Workshop Savvy

    Did you see my tool collection?


    Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

    Posts : 197
    Join date : 2011-10-18
    Age : 54
    Location : Dallas,TX

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by jds6 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

    Thanks Geezer. So let me see if I am following this right. By placing your thumb in the dent, following the line of sight to the bolt tip, the closer the dent to you the higher the elevation? So was this method used from shooting with the butt of the tiller against the shoulder or atop?

    jds6
    avatar
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

    Posts : 943
    Join date : 2010-01-12
    Age : 69
    Location : Austin, Texas, USA

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Geezer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm

    in all probability, the dimple was used for shooting 'freehand', with the butt of the bow clear of the shoulder. You sight over the bolt-point. For longer ranges, you drop the butt of the stock, rather than raising the point. Does this make sense? Geezer
    avatar
    jds6
    Workshop Savvy

    Did you see my tool collection?


    Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

    Posts : 197
    Join date : 2011-10-18
    Age : 54
    Location : Dallas,TX

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by jds6 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm

    Makes perfect sense. Thanks for this valuable information!

    jds6

    Stonedog
    Tinkerer

    If there is a will, there is a way.


    TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

    Posts : 107
    Join date : 2012-07-04

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Stonedog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm

    Ferdinand- good idea! How would I make a read peep l-r adjustable for windbags when using the tip of the point as a front reference point?

    Ideas or pics? It definitely has me thinking ...
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 am

    Stonedog wrote:Ferdinand- good idea! How would I make a read peep l-r adjustable for windbags when using the tip of the point as a front reference point?

    Ideas or pics? It definitely has me thinking ...
    I made a really easy one on my first bow. The topic should be around somewhere. It works really well, its fast and easy to aim. Currently working on a different one i copied from an existing one that whas posted in this topic from a privat collection. It has 3 points of elevation, folded down thru a groove and up thru a hole in the middle or a nother notch on the top. Once i take out the sideways deveation i practice different distances to see where i am with the three points of elevation.
    I am really exited to go and tune it. But after it is mounted i have to heat up the forge to make bodkin heads. The bolts need to be exactly the same length and weight. I'll post pictures if i can.
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 am

    This is a link to an earlier topic with loads of pictures and links to other sites! http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t372-simple-rear-sight-design

    And this is the one what i made up.
    http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

    The new one i will post later.
    Hope this helps u in any way. Lots of discussion on sights around, seems like we al want to be a William Tell and get that aple!
    avatar
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 490
    Join date : 2011-01-12

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by stoneagebowyer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 am

    Ferdi, I'd rather shoot the kid in the forehead and say "whoops, sorry." Smile Cool little sight. How did you fabricate that? From sheet steel? Welding or forging?
    BTW, I just picked up a simple flux wire welder last week. Because I have to work outside (workshop is too full of wood and other inflammible things), I opted for this method. it should give me more options for making various components like ticklers, plus I get to wear all that cool protective gear. My wife said I look like a mass murderer with the welding helmet on. Too many horror movies, perhaps.
    Dane
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 pm

    stoneagebowyer wrote:Ferdi, I'd rather shoot the kid in the forehead and say "whoops, sorry." Smile Cool little sight. How did you fabricate that? From sheet steel? Welding or forging?
    BTW, I just picked up a simple flux wire welder last week. Because I have to work outside (workshop is too full of wood and other inflammible things), I opted for this method. it should give me more options for making various components like ticklers, plus I get to wear all that cool protective gear. My wife said I look like a mass murderer with the welding helmet on. Too many horror movies, perhaps.
    Dane
    It is sheet steel and i solderd it to the stem with silver.
    About that helmet, u shoold take it in to the bedroom haha! Next to the egg whisker and ze wet sellerie! (little 'Allo Allo' humor).
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 pm

    Allright! Here goes nothing! This what i came up with. Bolt head is the forward aim point. The hole is for the resetting. Didnt have enough space so had to make do like this.
    Its all forged out off 10mm round bar.
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:33 pm

    And this is one looking over the bolt. Thru the top groove u can see the tip of the bolt!!!
    avatar
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 727
    Join date : 2012-08-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Living Aboard a Sailboat in Fort Myers, FL

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by kenh on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 pm

    Slightly off topic, Ferdinand, but how is the decorative bone plate with the black line drawing done on that prod? Looks very nice.
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 pm

    kenh wrote:Slightly off topic, Ferdinand, but how is the decorative bone plate with the black line drawing done on that prod? Looks very nice.
    Hey Kenh!
    Dont think people will mind if i tell u!
    Its imitation ivory wich i engraved with a dremel tool. Some black paint and when its dry a quick sandpaper over the top. The 'ivory' is old domino pieces wich i cut straigt and thin and glued together. Worked fine! Lots of work though, but cost me a buck and a half! The picture i copied from a site.
    avatar
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 490
    Join date : 2011-01-12

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by stoneagebowyer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 am

    ferdinand wrote:
    stoneagebowyer wrote:Ferdi, I'd rather shoot the kid in the forehead and say "whoops, sorry." Smile Cool little sight. How did you fabricate that? From sheet steel? Welding or forging?
    BTW, I just picked up a simple flux wire welder last week. Because I have to work outside (workshop is too full of wood and other inflammible things), I opted for this method. it should give me more options for making various components like ticklers, plus I get to wear all that cool protective gear. My wife said I look like a mass murderer with the welding helmet on. Too many horror movies, perhaps.
    Dane
    It is sheet steel and i solderd it to the stem with silver.
    About that helmet, u shoold take it in to the bedroom haha! Next to the egg whisker and ze wet sellerie! (little 'Allo Allo' humor).
    I took your advice, and she screamed and threw things at me. I kept telling her to blame that guy Ferdi Smile
    avatar
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 727
    Join date : 2012-08-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Living Aboard a Sailboat in Fort Myers, FL

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by kenh on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am

    Thanx Ferdi. I'm thinking of adding some faux irovy panels to my latest build (see Loose Laminate Pinlock). My faux Ivory is Holly wood (not Hollywood) which is nearly white. Same idea would apply but I'd have to be a bit more careful with the paint...
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 am

    stoneagebowyer wrote:
    ferdinand wrote:
    stoneagebowyer wrote:Ferdi, I'd rather shoot the kid in the forehead and say "whoops, sorry." Smile Cool little sight. How did you fabricate that? From sheet steel? Welding or forging?
    BTW, I just picked up a simple flux wire welder last week. Because I have to work outside (workshop is too full of wood and other inflammible things), I opted for this method. it should give me more options for making various components like ticklers, plus I get to wear all that cool protective gear. My wife said I look like a mass murderer with the welding helmet on. Too many horror movies, perhaps.
    Dane
    It is sheet steel and i solderd it to the stem with silver.
    About that helmet, u shoold take it in to the bedroom haha! Next to the egg whisker and ze wet sellerie! (little 'Allo Allo' humor).
    I took your advice, and she screamed and threw things at me. I kept telling her to blame that guy Ferdi Smile

    Did she really?! U must be doing something wrong....
    I'll have to come over then, show u what i mean! Haha
    avatar
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 490
    Join date : 2011-01-12

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by stoneagebowyer on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:55 am

    Come on by and show us, by all means. I have both electric and manual egg beaters and some wisks, too. Smile And a spaetzel maker, as well.
    avatar
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!

    Posts : 301
    Join date : 2012-04-24

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by ferdinand on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 am

    stoneagebowyer wrote:Come on by and show us, by all means. I have both electric and manual egg beaters and some wisks, too. Smile And a spaetzel maker, as well.
    Oe la lá! I think i will take yvette and ze electric egg-beater in ze upstairs room!!!!! sander lol!

    drawknife
    Fresh Blood

    Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows


    Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2011-02-11
    Age : 67
    Location : Barnsley, England

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by drawknife on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 am

    Hi, as far as I know the medieval crossbow did not have a sight, the crossbow was aimed using the thumb knuckle on the top of the stock and the point of the bolt as the forward sight. I presume the shooter used aiming points as do longbow archers today, and would know the ranges of their bows through constant practice. When I shoot my longbow barebow style sometimes my sighting point is a marker well below the target for short range.

    Sponsored content

    Re: sights on medieval crossbows

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 am