The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not?

War Song
    War Song
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not? Empty Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not?

Post by War Song Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 pm

I see that most bolts are made long enough to stick out over the rails, I can see that this is needed if your bolts have broadheads that might not sit well on the rail, but what if you're using flushed points?

Is there any performance advantage to the bolt sticking out rather than not?
    Rizzar
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not? Empty Re: Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not?

Post by Rizzar Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

The length of the bolt is not really important (neglecting FOC at this point).

If your bolt lies savely in the groove or the rest everything is fine.

Needless to say a bolt sticking out too long is some kind of inconvenient.

A bolt that is very(!) short is usually coming with disadvantages in balance point inflecting flight dynamics.

Relating to medieval, bolts were usually categorized (incidently read about it in "Die Armbrust" yesterday) by the type of Crossbow ("Halbe Ruestung" for example to be about 2.47oz (~1/45 of bow weight) and 15.35 inches ) with little or no adjustment to the weapon.

When considering making long and narrow bolts compareable with bow arrows a thing comes to a point usually not wished with crossbows: spine and archers paradox.
    A long narrow bolt will bend during acceleration, a stout one would not be influenced by that so dramatically. But this phenomena inflicts bolt flight a lot and with high power weapons bolt breakage is more likely to occur.

In conclusion: If you make your bolt with little differences to your rest you would do fine without running into trouble.

Rizzar
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not? Empty Re: Is it better to have a bolt sticking out than not?

Post by Gnome Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 pm

From my personal experience I've found that bolts the same lenght as the bolt track they are fired from, or just a bit longer if a broadhead or other larger-than-shaft diameter point is used, fly truest. I've tried longer bolts or arrows experimentally, and there is always more wobble and other eccentric behavior. I have not tried ultra short bolts.
    Gnome
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:30 am

The geezer's eye view of long vs short bolts.
    Short bolts have less surface friction for their mass, so they go a little faster over longer distances, but they also go deeper in your target and hence tend to shed their fletching.  They're more compact and use less arrow-shaft.  I used to make 10.5 inch bolts as my standard because I could get three per cedar arrow-shaft. 
    My target-shooting customers often swear by longer bolts-16 inches or better, for stability... which might be true if the balance is right.  Using standard weight field-points, you can run into problems with insufficient head-weight for the shaft.
    Longer bolts stick further out of your target, so they don't shed feathers as readily, but long, whippy bolts can fail under acceleration or on striking the target obliquely.
    Medieval illustrations often show bolts protruding over the front by several inches, so they had to deal with the same question... extant medieval bolts run anywhere from 12 to 18 inches in length, but the average seems to be about 15 inches (38 cm) Given short draw and relatively high brace-height of many medieval and renaissance bows... say 5-6 inches of draw from 4 inches of brace, plus an inch or so extra ahead of the prod, we get maybe 11 inches from front of prod to the lock, for a 4 inch overhang.  And yeah, that's pretty much consistent with drawings/paintings.  So by medieval standards, a fair overhang should be no big problem.  Geezer
    War Song
    War Song
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by War Song Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 am

Great stuff Geezer, didn't think about the bolt burying itself Razz. I was actually looking to see how short of a bolt I can use, related to an autoloading system I'm trying to iron out. I remember reading somewhere that fin-stabilized kinetic penetrators (basically a cross bolt right?) have an optimal flight dimension of 20:1 length/diameter ratio.

Not sure how well that would apply for the crossbow bolt, but with a 1/2 inch diameter shaft, that would make 10 inch as the optimal length.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to experiment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 am