The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

Fit and finish

phuphuphnik
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Fit and finish Empty Fit and finish

Post by phuphuphnik Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:42 am

I have been making stocks at a pretty fast clip, mostly to get practice woodworking. Having never seen an original bow in person I have to ask this. What was the fit and finish like on a military grade bow, or even a 'common' hunting bow? We have seen the fine work that went into surviving bows, but those were in royal estates, and made for nobility, or at least wealthy people.
    I try to get the wood to metal as tight as I can get, which to me is just good practice. Having seen original muskets, there is a noticeable difference between them and a privately owned Pennsylvania Longrifle in fit and finish.

an aside, I was supposed to go see some originals at the Art Institute of Chicago next week, but they had to reschedule.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Fit and finish Empty Re: Fit and finish

Post by Geezer Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 am

Fit and finish on armory-quality bows?  That's a little difficult to establish, because all the bows in question are over 500 years old, so all are now a bit wonky.  However, back in 1995, I had the opportunity to observe/measure/handle the crossbow fragments found in the Padre Island (south Texas barrier island) archaeological dig. With the exception of the steel prods (@20 in. long) all the metal was gone, but the inlets for same were informative.  Lockplates and cheekplates (at the fore-end, these are the skinny Spanish bows) had been riveted in place, and x-rays showed the rivets were not square through the stock. The lock and cheek plate mortises were slightly different sizes as well... with 1/8 of an inch, but not quite identical.  The roller nut on the best preserved stock was a tiny bit off as well. The bone nut, @ 1 inch in diameter and 15/16ths of an inch wide, had the lugs and space between divided evenly, each 5/16 in. Except the right lug was a hair narrower than the left. The trigger had some manner of wedge or perhaps a bone/horn spring to keep it engaged... that shows up faintly in the x-rays. Also the nose-ring for hanging (this is a gafa bow) had been put in crooked, then removed and re-set at the proper angle (again this shows up in x-rays)
    As for fit and finish on extant complete bows, perhaps the crossbows in the armory at Malta would be worth studying.  Also Schloss Grandson, in the Tyrol was the Von Trapp family hunting lodge.  They have a bunch of nice quality gents bows in the armory.  Not fancy Rolls-Royce stuff like Ulrich V bow at the Met. These seem to be more Buick-Toyota nice quality loaners for friends who came up for the hunting.
    In short, I think issue stuff was expected to be clean, tight work, but minor blemishes weren't necessarily a deal breaker.  DRW/Geezer
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:34 pm

These things were made by experienced craftsmen working as fast as they could.  They weren't reinventing the craft, like we are, but were trained in a working tradition.  That means they knew where they could cut corners without compromising function, and exactly what they could get away with and still have an accepted product.

For most of us today, that translates to this.  Do the best work you can without actually picking up a ruler.  If the left side does not look exactly like the right side... that's OK 'cause you can't see 'em both at the same time anyway.

If you know yourself to be fussy sort of craftsman who is never satisfied, even though everyone else likes your work.... lighten up a bit, work a little faster, and try not to fret.

If you know yourself to be inclined to hurry along and get 'er done....  Slow down a bit to compensate for not having benefit of the apprenticeship.

Mac

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am