The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

Crossbows for specific distances?

Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Crossbows for specific distances?   Empty Crossbows for specific distances?

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:59 pm

In a previous topic someone mentioned that they prefer building target crossbows to perform best at a specific distance. They could do a general purpose bow but prefered the other.

So the question is what makes crossbow work better at certain distances and how do you build that in. If the crossbow was accurate at long ranges wouldn't it be so at short range? I could see thing being true of the entire crossbow system when the sight was mounted. If the targets are only going to be at 20 yards why have a sight with multiple fibers in it. So is that what they were refering too or is there some thing built into the bow that would affect that as well?

This is a new concept to me (which isn't saying too much) so just trying to figure it out.

Sorry for not remembering who was saying that. It was the concept that stuck in my head.
    Pavise
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

Crossbows for specific distances?   Empty Re: Crossbows for specific distances?

Post by Pavise Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 pm

A crossbow can be as complicated and sophisticated as one's mind and materials will allow; or it can be made from readily available materials guided by a narrow knowledge base. This forum has in a relatively short time, developed into one of the most broad and comprehensive crossbow knowledge bases anywhere. This is due to some enormously inquiring minds and a thirst to learn more. But above all it is because others have been, and are, willing to freely share their knowledge and life-long experiences with others. If you will take the time to explore what has already been compiled, discussed and oft illustrated here you will find answers to most of your questions. Yes a crossbow that is 'accurate at long ranges' ought to be accurate at short ranges: but it is not that simple. This is why crossbows are sometimes built with a specific purpose in mind. e.g. regulated target shooting. To learn more about the competition aspects of shooting a crossbow I respectfully invite you to visit the following website.
    http://www.worldcrossbow.com/members.html

Pavise
    huntsmanlance
    huntsmanlance
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by huntsmanlance Tue May 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello, i am new here and to crossbows but i shoot a standard what we call a royal round with the targets set at 20, 30 and 40 yards. I started with a bolt that was 15" with a 125 grain tip. Boy ohhh boy i sure didnt like having to aim at the dirt several feet below the target at the 20 or aiming way above the target at the 40.
    So i started messing around with the weight of the shaft and tips. It took allot of time and frustration but i finally came up with a set of bolts for each of the targets where all i have to do is aim right below the bullseye at each distance. Yes it was quite a pain to figure out but i kept telling myself...which would i rather aim at....the dirt / sky or a certain place on each target? It took me useing a hard wood shaft and heavy tips for the 20 all the way to cedar with a 70 grain tip for the 40 but in only 3 weeks of actual shooting my scores are averaging 87 out of a possible 120 .....3 rounds of 6 arrows at each distance with a 30 second speed round at 20....i have seen experienced crossbow men get off 8 and 9 bolts in 30 seconds but i cant yet so the possible score could be higher.
    So with the bolts tuned in the rest is up to me and my form. Im not sure if this is what you were refering to but it sure helped me.
    Lance

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am