The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

"Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf

lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

"Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf Empty "Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf

Post by lonewolf Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 am

Moved From: How Crossbows Work

lonewolf wrote:Dear friend, I am making a crossbow, trying to make it as close to a "historical play," all the pieces of metal, rolled steel'm doing (different thicknesses range from approximately 1 / 4 to 1 / 2 inch) I'M NOT USING WELDING.
    I like to get a plan and specifications for a bow for a crossbow metal data as maximum width, minimum width (edge), I'm using a car buffer, measuring approximately 34 inches x 7 / 16 "and apparently has no Hazzard
    How I can change the curvature of the shock?
    I have to forge? and if so could be the possibility of an accident?
    and qual is the best way to do it?

DEAR FRIEND FIRST :
    (SORRY THE GRAMMAR, AS NO DOMINO ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND HELP ME WITH GOOGLE )
    OK.INTERESANTE SITE, SO WHAT I AM IN NEED SPECIFICATIONS ON HOW TO MAKE A METAL ARCH (SIZE, THICKNESS,) AND HOW TO BUILD OR DO ALL THE NECESSARY FOR BENDING THE BOW AND MANUFACTURING .

I'M MAKING THE TREATY OF SPRING, AS CLOSE TO A HISTORIC REPRODUCTION, ALL HAND MADE, AND DID THE BODY OF WOOD, CUT AND BOW CLIPS (FRONT), JA SIZE IN STEEL, WALNUT (which gave considerable WORK), said in a MESSAGE AS ABOVE, I FOUND A CAR SHOCK OF APPROXIMATELY 34 INCHES BY 7 / 16 "AND THE HELP YOU WANT IS WHAT WOULD THE BEST WAY TO MAKE / BUILD THIS ARCO, OUES AND OTHER SITES AND SO VISIT DAN PICTURES AND NO ACTION.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

"Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf Empty Re: "Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf

Post by Ivo Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Hello lonewolf,

Welcome to the forum!

Since we have a language barrier, I hope the translator on the side of the forum can help...also you can switch the forum language by going to Profile > Preferences > Board Language ...and set it to the preferred language.

First off - double posting... please don't do it, even if you don't get a reply right away, use the "edit" function, ok? Smile and "CapsLock" in internet speak is considered "yelling"... I don't see the need for that.

Now to help you out with your project.

From what I read...I understand you are building a medieval style crossbow, you already have many parts finished and just need help in completing this project. "Peruvain Crossbow" by Lonewolf 950496
    ...Ok, we'll see what we can do for you. Smile

Tell us a little bit about the dimensions of your crossbow and it's components, it would be great if you also posted a few pictures of your work...that would definitely help us help you.

Ivo
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 am

lonewolf-
    Using a car leaf spring for a prod (prod being one of the names for the bow part of the crossbow) can be difficult. How are you planning on cutting or grinding it down to size? Is this spring new or used? Used springs, depending on there condition may have small fractures in the metal. It might not be a bad idea to clean the metal till it is shiney so that you can look at the condition of metal to make sure there are no cracks are deep pits in the spring.

Which brings us to the next issue, loosing temper. If your cutting or grinding the metal you're going to need to keep the temp in the metal low. The metal should never get so hot that you can't hold on to it. That means taking your time and plenty of cooling. That said I think your best bet would be to have it profesionally heat treated after cutting/grinding to shape.

Normally I would say that doing this at home would be fine as there are online manuals for heat treating but tempering a spring is not as forgiving as tempuring a blade and the risk of failure and risk of damage to yourself and others is very high. Steel prods typically are storing A LOT of energy so if something goes wrong it will really, spectacularly go wrong and people could easily be hurt.

Ok warnings aside. I don't have any dimensions for a a steel prod. well partly because there are different shapes of prods depending on what you are looking for. It might not be a bad idea to try making one out of wood first as a trial run. All wood and mostly all wood crossbows are very period. I know they may not seem as cool as having a super strong metal prod crossbow but with a little practice you could make a wood crossbow that is plenty strong (all wood crossbows have been used to hunt whales in Norway just to give you an idea of strenght). More importanly working with wood is easier and will give you an idea of how to get something (wood or metal or composite) to bend properly. And what a proper bend should look like.

Just for your information: Getting a bow to bend properly is called "tillering" and I could write an entire essay on the subject and people have, most of which are better than anything I could come up with so I'll let you read those. But the basic idea of tillering a bow it to get the bow to bend smoothly with no kinks or joints in the bend.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 am

Just a quick question...has anyone ever seen an example of a "Peruvian crossbow"? scratch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm