The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+6
Geezer
Todd the archer
Master Bran Padraig
JMC
Basilisk120
Lightly
10 posters

New Crossbow Quivers

Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

New Crossbow Quivers Empty New Crossbow Quivers

Post by Lightly Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi folks;

We now have new and improved quivers! We are using slightly thicker leather and wood, and putting a collar on them.

I've been studying photos of old quivers and wanted to try something that was as authentic as possible, while still being able to be made inexpensively enough to be affordable. (Like our bows...)

Tell me what you think, AND, if you have further suggestions!

Thanks, and take care;

Lightly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swifthoundbows/sets/72157626239512220/

Last edited by Lightly on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

New Crossbow Quivers Empty Re: New Crossbow Quivers

Post by Lightly Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 pm

New Crossbow Quivers Dscf2810

Well, I am thinking I might have done this correctly, and actually posted my first photo!

If it works, it is thanks to Ivo's video tutorial. If it does not, it is due to my incompetency with anything that is not leather or wood, or hand tools.

Best!

Lightly
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Wow Those are some great looking quivers. might have to pick me up one. Is it wood on the bottom or leather? Once again looks like a great product.

Off topic: Lightly you didn't miss much by not making it out to Estrella this year unless you count almost being blown away as something worth experiencing.
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Hey Basilisk!

Wood back and bottom, all else is leather. I made two different kinds of attachment, one, is the loop that you see. There is one quiver with two straps, that end in clips, to clip to a hole in a belt, one at the waist, one at the small of the back. There is one of those in one of the photos on Flickr.
    Altho I found many photos and drawings of old quivers, of course, there were not any that had the BACK of the quiver shown. So, I had to make a guess as to the loop, and the strap attachment.

Does anyone have a photo, or idea, of authentic, period attachment?

OT: Yeah, I heard that Darkwood tent blew down, and was quite damaged! Glad I didn't go, and, last year, YOURS was the only bow I sold, anyway! (Maybe one other, in any case, I lost money going) They use that other kind of SCA bow, Fell walker? With the huge bolt groove... I got many disparaging remarks on my bows...rather discouraging.
    JMC
    JMC
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by JMC Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:13 pm

hello
    New Crossbow Quivers Sept_010
    New Crossbow Quivers Sept_011New Crossbow Quivers Sept_013
    Master Bran Padraig
    Master Bran Padraig
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by Master Bran Padraig Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Those look great. Nice work.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:04 am

I noticed in old paintings they show the bolts in the quiver points up while traditional longbow archer put their arrows in points down. Does anyone know why? My guess is that the crossbowman wanted to see what particular bolt they were selecting and what tip it had on.
    Todd
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 am

medieval illustrations of quivers with points up: I agree with Todd, a medieval archer might have a slection of different points in one quiver. Carrying them points-up lets you choose. Yes, you might end up gouging yourself on a point, but that's what top-flaps are for! Geezer
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Wow! Really nice leather work Lightly!!!

And I'll be damned...you posted a picture!!! You're one tough lady, after all my offers to help out or show how to do it...you went ahead and in proud solitude got it on your own. I'm glad the vid. helped, but knowing how it is with computers - you technically got it all by yourself and that's what really matters. Smile This makes me want to make more videos on our forum's capabilities ... just let me know what feature you found interesting and I'll do it as soon as I get a free minute.

Also... I'm with JMC...it seems like there was a strap in the back with two riveted or in some other way attached - belt loops. This can be barely seen(shadowed out outline) in the pic I found in the Higgins Armoury Museum gallery on Flikr.

New Crossbow Quivers 10199310

You can barely see it, but it's a definitely there...hope some one has a better pic...perhaps in the crossbow books there might be a few words on the subject.

As for tips up.....if I was riding and wanted to strike fear into some one I would not pass an opportunity to flash the arsenal of fire starters, broad heads, bodkins, and my favorite "rope cutter"....it really deserves a better name though...decapitator, or grim reaper, or even just ripper... New Crossbow Quivers 951629

I just can't get enough of this one pic of Mr SAM's crossbow bolt collection in this topic >>> (link)

You guys know some one who does custom bolts right(i think it was a member by the name of Silly Person that specialized in those), perhaps you have some pictures of their work and a link to their site, so I can add them to the Crossbowyer (Thanks for the term Lightly) links panel I'm putting together.

All in all ...Lots of REP points for you guys cheers and I hope these quivers leave your shop in a snap. Very Happy If you have something in stock or left over from any event where dorks run around with rubber band crossbows shooting pool noodles at each other...definitely post that stuff in the Buy/Sell/Trade section...you will be amazed how many hits that section gets(even though there is nothing there Razz )...no guaranty it will work wonders, but people do look in there. Wink

Good stuff, hope to see more cool stuff like that...perhaps a dagger sheath/quiver combo. New Crossbow Quivers 951629

Ivo

PS: I was pounding my self in the chest saying I'll come to one of your events in March, but I must bring my apologies - Lab has gotten so busy over the last few weeks that I don't even have time to pick my head up ...unfortunately that will keep me from enjoying your company this one time...so much work it blows my mind. New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782 New Crossbow Quivers 714782
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks, Ivo!
    Forgot about the Buy Sell part of the forum, yes, after we get back, we should try to post what we have not sold, altho, I do hope that it is not much...
    Thanks to you and JMC for the photos on Quivers, and still interested if other folks have any more. Every little bit helps.
    I feel the quivers are still a bit rough, but probably just fine to sell as is. Later, I'd love to refine them a bit. Fancier collar, better fastenings for attachment to a belt...
    And, yes, it IS Silly Person who does "Olden Bolts" and makes nice little bolts, with wood vanes. You can probably find a link to him on Geezer's website (Crossbows.net) or google for OldenBolts... If not let me know...
    Alright, off to bed, heading for Gulf Wars first thing in the morning...

Take care all...

Lightly
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Ivo, I know I saw the buy/sell/trade section somewhere, but I don't seem to be able to find it now. help a brother out will ya!

Todd
    JMC
    JMC
    Tinkerer

Post by JMC Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 am

[img]New Crossbow Quivers Bolzen10[/img]
    JMC
    JMC
    Tinkerer

Post by JMC Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 am

[img]New Crossbow Quivers Bolzen11[/img]
    JMC
    JMC
    Tinkerer

Post by JMC Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 am

[img]New Crossbow Quivers Kacher10[/img]
    JMC
    JMC
    Tinkerer

Post by JMC Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 am

my bolt construction[img]New Crossbow Quivers C_13910[/img]
    [img]New Crossbow Quivers Hh110[/img]
    [img]New Crossbow Quivers 17_avr10[/img]
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Nice pictures JMC Shocked

So it looks like some of the quivers were designed so that it has kind of a window. the point is visible but doesn't stick out the top. Simple and Clever.
    Jason D
    Jason D
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Jason D Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Lightly,
    The new quivers look good. It seems to me that you have reached a good compromise between historic form and modern. I think that if you go to a more historically accurate design and decoration it would take you out of your target market. Nice work!
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 pm

JMC,

The growing tower, from blanks to bolts...nice theme.Very Happy i see you have quite a collection there, Anything from blunt tips to broad heads and fire starters.

Lightly & Jason D,

I too think that those quivers are perfect the way they are.

But to add a bit on the original quivers...from loom looking at various pictures(paintings/drawings) of horse mounted crossbowmen and pictures JMC posted, I got an idea that perhaps they were attached to an adjustable or made to fit belt/strap with rings rather than belt loops. Search continues. Wink

New Crossbow Quivers 27_det10

Todd the archer wrote:Hey Ivo, I know I saw the buy/sell/trade section somewhere, but I don't seem to be able to find it now. help a brother out will ya!

Todd

All fixed, forgot to refresh the forum permissions after doing the update. New Crossbow Quivers 207946

Thanks for the heads up Todd Smile

Ivo
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:30 pm

After taking a week or so off to chill about the picture posting thing, I thought I would try again. (Thank you Ivo)

...and although I've made a right cock of it, the images did come through (along with some extraneous code).

In any case, here is my reconstruction of a quiver. It carved out of a plank of tulip poplar. The back is a separate piece. The fur is badger.

The suspension straps pass through a pair of slots in each corner. The back view shows how the leather passes through its self as well. The straps would look better in a heavier, firmer leather, but the system is fundamentally correct.

Mac

[img]New Crossbow Quivers Quiver21[/img][img][url=http:

https://servimg.com/view/16226639/16]New Crossbow Quivers Quiver22[/url][/img][img][/img][img]New Crossbow Quivers Quiver23[/img][img]New Crossbow Quivers Quiver25[/img][img]New Crossbow Quivers Quiver26[/img]
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Wow, thanks all! Impressed by the response and the great photos, really really helpful.. Keep them coming, I am fascinated!
    Geezer and I are back from Gulf Wars. Disappointed to say we experienced Geezer's worst year of sales yet there. Only found 4 bows a home. AND, we both caught ill the last few days, and spent our first week back in bed!
    Hoping the low sales are a glitch and not indicative...

Mac, loving your quiver! how did you make it? (If you do not mind sharing) it is strikingly authentic. I may make one for myself, but, I suspect that making some like that for sale would be impractical. We did sell two of our quivers, but they are a new thing, and we thought they might either fly off the shelf, or sales would be slow till folks got used to them. It seems to be the latter.
    This week we do start on a few order that we got while there, tho, one will be lovely; a special order for a lovely lady. I will be sure to take photos of it's journey, it promises to be a fun and rewarding build.
    Take care all, and thanks again...!
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Also, Ivo, loving this drawing above!
    Interesting how correct the right hand holding the trigger and tiller appears, but.. the LEFT hand appears 'wrong' to me, too far back...
    And, love the nice rows of bolts in the quiver, but! I sincerely doubt that many of the bolts of the kind depicted ready to be shot here would fit in that quiver! Have to assume quite a bit of artistic license.
    What a great mix of correct detail and fanciful work....

Best!

Lightly
    testhero
    testhero
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by testhero Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Mac super quiver. Love the badger skin Looks just like all the quivers in german hunting scenes.
    Lighty, Geezer sorry to hear you had such poor sales at Gulf Wars I heard from all the fighting was great so Hope it just ment everyone was to tired to shop
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Lightly,

The short answer is that it is carved out of a 2" (50mm) plank of tulip poplar. I did as much work as I could with the drill press and band saw. the inside was finished with gouges, and the outside with abrasives. The back and bottom are separate pieces of thin stuff, about 1/4" (6mm) thick. The fur is badger. The red leather is a thin (4oz.?) chrome tan.

I would be pleased to answer any specific questions..... provided I can still remember the answers. I could measure it if you are interested.

Mac
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 pm

testhero wrote:Hi Mac super quiver. Love the badger skin Looks just like all the quivers in german hunting scenes.

Thank you Testhero! When I put the fur on, I was going to trim the bottom even, and then I remembered seeing something like that "forked beard" effect before. I found a striking similarity in the St sabastian page of teh Catherine of Cleves book of hours. So I left it that way.

New Crossbow Quivers Week11-0051
    testhero
    testhero
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by testhero Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Wow I love that page. Just look at that shoot through pelet bow on the left between the purses. Your Quiver looks just right I am glad you didn't trim the Norse beard look of it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am