The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
jake-owa
barsod123
6 posters

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue)

barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Empty String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue)

Post by barsod123 Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 am

Hello, I thought I saw this mentioned somewhere but I'm having a hard time finding it. I tested the crossbow and the string pops off the top nocks.Can iI fix this by wrapping the ends of the prod with string to keep it on?( kind of like the plastic end pieces the fiberglass prods have) or is this a matter of something else that needs to be fixed?
    Help in figuring this out, or directing me to somewhere else is appreciated
    jake-owa
    jake-owa
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Empty Re: String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue)

Post by jake-owa Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, a pic of the crossbow prod and how the string ends up would help. It sounds like there may be too much angle on the bow. I don't know what you mean by "top nocks". I am assuming it's the top string notch on both sides of the bow.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Empty Re: String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue)

Post by mac Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Barsod,

The short answer is that something else indeed does need to be fixed. However; without a picture, we can't even begin to guess what that might be.

Mac
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Empty string pops off top nock

Post by barsod123 Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I sat and looked at it, and i think the string has to be more in the center of the prod limb. Its more towards the top. I'll try that and maybe get a pic up. Yes jake you said it better,thats what happens. I used the cord bound plans from alchem, but has a prod for darkwood.
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0872

Last edited by barsod123 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Sounds like your prod needs to be tipped up more. The string should just touch the top of the deck without undo pressure.
    Of course pics will help us better.

Todd
    jake-owa
    jake-owa
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by jake-owa Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Todd the archer wrote:Sounds like your prod needs to be tipped up more. The string should just touch the top of the deck without undo pressure.
    Of course pics will help us better.

Todd
    Right of course, I mistakenly said too much angle but its much more likely not enough angle.

If the string loop ends are too large the string can move also. For all these reasons, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 pm

built it at 6* maybe cut it at 12* will be better its hard to know. Thanks for helping everyone.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:51 am

Geezer here on the popping-string. From the photo, it looks like you've got an Alchem or a Darkwood 28 inch prod. The size of your string-loops is about right and the string is approximately the right diameter. You may indeed have too much down-pressure of string on the table, which tends to peel the string off at the end of the throw, particularly if you're using rather light bolts. I can't see how much brace/fistmele you have. I would recommend 3-4 inches of brace for this prod... I usually aim for the middle... 3.5 inches, and will twist/shorten a string if the brace stretches lower than 3.
    If you have excessive string pressure on the top of the stock, you'll need to pitch the top of the prod forward to reduce the drag. If you over-pitch the prod, you'll get string-hop, which will result in misfires instead. The golden-mean is hidden somewhere in the middle. When you' have built a few bows, you'll get things worked out so this seldom happens.
    Keep making... Geezer..
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Empty string pops off

Post by barsod123 Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I did have too much pressure on the deck, I removed the prod today and tilted it foward more resulting in the string just resting on the deck, so now the prod is at 12 degrees . The prod is from darkwood and the string aswell. When i first strung the prod it was a heck of a time. From the prod to the string when strung (brace) was like a 1 inch i think. I know thats not right.
    Geezer stated to twist the string to reach the 3" or so mark, does twisting the string 1 inch shorter, result in the brace becomming 1 inch larger?
    I'm using three fletched, 16.75" tip-nock 125gr. bolts. suggested by a gander mnt. archer employee. Do I need heavier?
    Thanks again for everyones input and suggestions.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Twisting the string 1" shorter will not necessarily result in raising the brace height 1". However excessive twisting should be avoided. More importantly the prod angle can only be set when the prod is set to the correct brace height.

Also I could not tell from the picture if the groove on the deck is deep enough for a third fletching, as most medieval crossbows use only two fletchings.

Todd
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 pm

barsod123 wrote:,
    Geezer stated to twist the string to reach the 3" or so mark, does twisting the string 1 inch shorter, result in the brace becomming 1 inch larger?
    I'm using three fletched, 16.75" tip-nock 125gr. bolts. suggested by a gander mnt. archer employee. Do I need heavier?
    Thanks again for everyones input and suggestions.

Its not a 1 to 1 ratio for reducing brace height to shorting strings. It depends on the shape of the prod and other things.

As for the bolts. They seem to be a fine weight but Todd mentioned I'm not sure a three fletched bolt would work if the vanes are 120° apart. Most fletches on the bolts I make are 180° apart.
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

The groove is deep enough, I wasn't going for a replica off of history just something to have fun at the range with some store bought bolts slightly modifitied. I have shot the crossbow once with the bolt and it worked and hit the target, thats how I came upon this string problem.
    So if the string and prod are not a 1:1 ratio how does one happen upon getting the 3 inch brace? Does it come down to string lenght to get that brace? I have not altered anything, just plugged and play once.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 am

There is no formula for how much to shorten your string. It is trial and error. Which means twist it, restring it, and check. Repeat until you get the correct brace height. This can be a lot of work considering how hard it is to bend the prod. Also best to brace slightly on the high side as a new string tends to stretch abit until it settles in.

You can see why people are discussing ideas for making a "bow press" to make this job easier.

Todd
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:55 am

Well, I got a little work to do then, thanks for the help and information everyone.
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi, did some changes and did a go at it. Here is a pic of what i mean.
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0912
    I had the string just touching the deck, and the brace was at 3.25" but shrank to 2.5 after a hour and a half. Prod is angled at 6 degrees. Is this still a brace issue causing this? Or a prod issue-like the nock not ground down enough?
    I'd appreciate more help.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Barsod,

A picture from the side would be very informative.

Mac
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 am

Mac:
    From the side down the prod?The string? what exactly should I be focusing the camera on?
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 am

I think Mac means a side view.

Did the problem stop when braced at 3 1/2" and then return when the brace dropped down? Looking at that picture, it may be a prod nock issue. Does it always happen on the same side?

If you are experienced with making string nocks, you might be able to correct that using a chain saw sharpening file.

I have tweaked my prod from Alchem with a file to round the edges better so that string life is increased. Will try to post a pic later to show what I have done.

Todd
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:36 am

I never had time to try it at 3.5". I work on it at work. I was thinking the nocks too were not deep enough, or even have a angle greater of 90 degree> see photo
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0912

I've had it on both sides and just one side in the 3 times shooting it. Im about to cut the binding and re-brace it to 4.25" on monday so if it settles its at 3.5" or so,
    Todd, a pic would help and maybe how much to file off.
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 am

Here is another thing I noticed. I dont know how much of a difference it makes. Besides the dimensions, on the left side there is a space from the loop to where the string intersects planes with the prod( the top of the prod showing just right to the loop. (With the string re-strung)On the right side the string is parallel to the top of the prod and is no space. I hope i explained that right.
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Nockcomparison
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:26 am

barsod123 wrote:Mac:
    From the side down the prod?The string? what exactly should I be focusing the camera on?

I think that we need to see a side view that shows how the prod is situated with respect to the tiller. The pic should include averylthing from the prod to the lock, and be focused on the tiller. One pic with the bow braced, but not spanned, and another with the bow drawn to the lock would be good.

It looks to me like part of the problem is that the string loops are too big, and the "shoulders" of the knocks (at least the right one) are not square enough. There may also be a bigger problem in the geometry of the weapon its self. A couple of side view pics should show us what we need to see.

Mac
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:00 am

Here's pics of my "tweaked nocks:

String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Nocks003
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Nocks002-1
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) Nocks001

Todd
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:35 am

Mac I can take a picture of the tiller, nut and prod. But if the brace is not correct would the spanned and unspanned picture help at all?
    barsod123
    barsod123
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by barsod123 Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks for the pics todd, I think I have to shape them a little.
    Mac heres some more pics, the brace has shrank to 2" now. So I need to redo that again.
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0935
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0934
    String slips off nock center (Prod angle issue) IMG_0936
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Barsod,

I keep hoping for something that shows more of how the prod is situated with respect to the tiller; but I think I can see what's wrong from what you have shown us.

I think it is a combination of three things....Low brace height. Over sized loops. And sloping shoulders on the nocks.

I think that the string is making contact with the bellies of the recurves, and its momentum is carying it "up the ramp", so to speak. At that point, the loop can get over the shoulder of the right nock, and thus come undone by sliding up onto the limb. The momentum of the string then carries the left loop off its nock pin, and the string swings around to the right and is carried off the right limb as well. The string ends up on the ground several feet in front of the bow and slightly to the right.

Here is my prescription....
    --File the shoulders of the nocks like Todd showed in his pic (above).
    --Make a new string with slightly smaller loops.
    --Have the new string be enough shorter that it does not make contact with the bellies of the recurves.

I say a new string, rather than just twisting the old one to make it shorter, because I can see from the pics that the string is already too tightly twisted. Too much twist makes the string stretchy, and robs energy. The string should have, at most, two or three full twists.

Mac

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm