The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+4
stoneagebowyer
blangas
Todd the archer
Ivo
8 posters

Casting the Harlequin Trigger

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Empty Casting the Harlequin Trigger

Post by Ivo Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 am

As the title suggests I've been casting things between heartbeats during the holidays.

This story is about a component for a trigger I'm building for a friend. The trigger assembly itself is one of a set of prototypes I've been working on for my upcoming production line of triggers to order, which will be sent out to select few builders for the final testing. So, sorry guys, I'll be keeping a lid on those for now and we'll focus on the cool *little* bits of the puzzle. Wink

Everything begins with a wax pattern. Be it a prosthetic crown I'm making, a ring for a girl, or a trigger for a crossbow - this is where things begin if you want to get crazy with detail. Smile

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo2-1
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo1-1

Next things get sprued up(sprues are added) basically creating passages for the molten metal to enter and fill the mold.

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo11
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo21

I'm using the *ringless* system as opposed to the commonly employed
    ringed system where a metal ring(well actually tube) is used to house
    the invested pattern throughout the casting process. Ringless...hence
    the plastic mold ring, which is removed once the investment hardens.

So the investment...

I use the best stuff I can get because normally I cast prosthetics which are supposed to be of an amazingly precise fit - cast quality is only going to be as good as the mold, and the mold is good.(if you're interested I can go into more detail on what materials I use and can explain the tricks of working with them).

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_photo31harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_photo41harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_photo51

some older pictures since I didn't have an assistant this time...

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0237harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0238harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0241harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0245harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0247

Bench set the little guy for 20 minutes (as instructions recommend...no more...no less)

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0251

And once ready - remove the plastic ring and place in the burnout oven for another specific time period at a specific temperature.

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0253harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0254harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0257harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0258
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0263harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0264
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0268harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0269harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0270harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0271

And then we cast. Smile

Once the hot metal is in the mold...

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo12
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo22

I set the mold aside to cool for about 30 minutes (common practice is to just drop it in the tank of water, as seen with the ringed casting methods which is the only way of getting the cast part out....>>> ringless method doesn't need any dipping since there is no metal ring to interfere with de-vesting and thus allows for the mold to cool peacefully - resulting in better quality of cast)

All that's left is...turn off the furnace, shut off the gas valves, yata yata yata...the thing is cool and...

I crack it open with a little hammer or whatever is on hand Smile ...
    ...again old pictures because I didn't have an assistant.

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0286harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0289harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Th_IMG_0290

Result - a nice little casting that gets further cleaned off in the sand blaster till all or most of the investment is gone (depending on alloy and whether I will be reusing the button - this time it's just stainless steel, so no bother)

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo42
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo32

Next on the list is cutting off the sprues and we have a nice raw casting. cheers

While it still looks very rough and needs to be cleaned up, you can see how detailed the damn thing can be if everything is done right.

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo3
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo4
    harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo13

I even managed to captured the eye sockets/nose/&teeth on the scull that the harlequin is holding! Don't ask Razz , just think of him as a very Shakespearean harlequin:)

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Photo5

You might think I'm crazy when I say this, but I think I could have done better. And I know I could, just this time my eyes were tired and I didn't have the balls to swing the head of the microscope over the workstation to tdo the face on the harlequin. harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger 602584...next time. Laughing For now I'll try and see what I can get out of this little thing by engraving it.

Hope you enjoyed this episode of show and tell...and Wish me luck! ...Cz that's not all.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ivo
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Empty Re: Casting the Harlequin Trigger

Post by Todd the archer Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 am

Ivo, all I can say is I am impressed!!

Todd
    blangas
    blangas
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger Empty Re: Casting the Harlequin Trigger

Post by blangas Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:59 pm

This is exceptional Ivo. How do you finish it off after the carving stage? Paint or polish? I would genuinely be interested in buying one of these if it wasn't too cost prohibitive for my current build...and of course if you would consider selling one.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks guys. A good word from you is always appreciated and puts a spark back in my day. harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger 524936 Very Happy

Blangas,

Since this is a dental Ni/Cr alloy used in fabricating things that people wear in their mouth (great corrosion resistance/bio-compatibility), I'll be polishing this baby, but I do have a few more triggers still in wax that I plan to coat with some h-gloss black bake-on guncoat finish.

I'd love to do one for you, but as always there are a few things worth mentioning.

One, this is somewhat new to me and I'm still working out ways of mount these castings on both the fresh built and existing triggers. As we can see...There isn't much room for set screws, commonly used in mounting trigger shoes. So, that's something worth discussing first I guess. I'll probably be seeing you and the guys in a new topic touching that bit of detail.[future topic link]

Second, this is a hobby for me so, again, I'm not certain of the delivery times. A week of work perhaps. (like I said - did this one between heart beats since I'm at work, and it's still only half way done)

Third, not really a problem, but it is going to be a custom piece. I won't be making copies of the patter(even if I wanted to, just not possible) and the mold is destroyed after casting(so again, one way path). So, we'll be in touch on the design when and if we decide to go forward with this. As with prosthetics, I'm always in touch with the clients to see if they are happy with how things are going, so same here.

Think I covered the few things I had on my mind, and as for the price...well, lets see if you like it on paper and then in *wax > metal*, ok? And this is all good fun for me too, so I keep that in mind first and the profit margin calculation mambo-jumbo second. Smile Lets talk about it over PM when it gets to that...there is still that mounting issue to sort out.

Regards,

Ivo
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 am

All I can say is I am way impressed. My only experience with one of these things was a silversmithing class I took when I was in the Army, at Ft. Lewis, learning to cast silver rings. This was a long time ago, during the frontier days Smile I will be looking forward to seeing this discussion continue. Dane
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Watch it shine!. drunken

Assembled and shipped. Smile

Sad I'll miss you little guy!

...Blangas...now on with yours. Sorry for the delays...I'm like a frog on a frying pan here. Razz

Ivo
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Blangas is a lucky guy. that looks like one nice little piece.
    Väinämöinen
    Väinämöinen
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Väinämöinen Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 pm

That is really, really good work! It screams quality!
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks...Wait till you see my next one. Smile

Had a little mishap a few days ago - dropped and broke the pattern...now starting over. Then again, anything that happens is for the best - had a professional jeweler stop by who gave me a couple of tips as well as my brother who commented on really bringing out the anatomy in this one. Razz So yeh, it'll be better than the last for sure...sorry no pics for now, didn't get a chance to take any before it broke. Mad

Eeeh, I'll be back on track real soon. Wink

Ivo
    Lee Slikkers
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Lee Slikkers Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:15 pm

is it "soon" yet??? Jones'in for some more of this!
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Yeh, it's coming up any minute now. Laughing

I've been working on it, just never expected to get so slumped with work, but yeh, I've been on it. I've got the wax done...lol, tried to work on the face, but it's just not working out - it's sooo tiny a surface to work on. I'll try to get home today and take some pictures. It's really something, I'm afraid to touch it actually - try to hold it the wrong way and there go the arms/legs/horns/wings/scythe...the world will never know how many times I had to remake each. harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger 914786774 harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger 914786774 harlequin - Casting the Harlequin Trigger 914786774 Razz

Anyway, you'll see...oh and welcome to the forum. Smile

Ivo
    Lee Slikkers
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Lee Slikkers Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for the kind welcome Ivo...I am really fascinated by this topic/process. I understand work & priorities, just wanted you to know there was some interest in this topic/thread. Thanks again.

Lee
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Wed May 02, 2012 2:47 am

Ivo,

Of course, Over The Top .............. no doubt you are very talented and have the patience for such detail along wirh very wonderful knowledge as to what you are doing !

Awesome!

Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:21 pm