The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm


3 posters

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Xamllew
    Xamllew
    Tinkerer

    If there is a will, there is a way.


    TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.


    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2015-06-13
    Age : 32
    Location : Florida

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by Xamllew Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:07 pm

    Where I live if you want to do any sort of woodworking your options for material are Red Oak, Pine, or Poplar. I've used red oak in the past, it's fine for some small things but in large amounts such as a crossbow tiller it starts looking like furniture to me. One time I actually got so desperate for Hickory that I bought a pickaxe handle and split it down the center to use as a backing for a longbow, this was not worth the time investment.

    I'm probably going to end up buying online but before I do I wanted to see if anyone knew of places that might unexpectedly sell more "exotic" hardwoods such as cherry or maple, I've heard flooring companies sell some hardwoods, obviously it's all in very thin dimensions though.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!


    Posts : 883
    Join date : 2012-08-03
    Age : 75
    Location : Living Aboard a Sailboat in Fort Myers, FL

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by kenh Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 pm

    Where are you?  It makes a huge difference.  Here in South Florida we don't have much either.  Other parts of the country have lots of specialty sawmills that cut and sell a wide variety of woods.

    I buy most of my exotics and domestics, other than Oak and Maple, on line.  Home Depot/Lowe's carry Maple and Oak, and sometimes Mahogany, but in 3/4" boards, not in 2" thick planks. 

    Lumber Liquidators sells a variety of domestic and exotic woods in flooring dimensions - ~3/4" by 4" to 8" wide, you can laminate 3 pieces together to make a nice tiller.

    My bowyer woods I buy from guys who make laminations or planks specifically for archery; likewise the woods I buy for building musical instruments come from instrument wood suppliers.

    Ebay is a good source for small lots of larger pieces and "exotics".  Search on the name of the wood, plus the word Lumber.

    Check your local Craigslist postings.
    twedzel
    twedzel
    Fresh Blood

    Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows


    Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows


    Posts : 47
    Join date : 2014-01-08
    Age : 51
    Location : Vancouver Island BC

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by twedzel Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:23 pm

    I use my local Windsor Plywood, they have a decent selection of hardwoods. No usable true "bow woods" like Yew or Osage Orange but I can find plenty of maple, oak, walnut, and cherry amongst some more exotic wood.

    I just accept that my stocks will be laminated from two or more pieces of wood.  I actually prefer laminating stocks, it makes stronger more stable stocks if done right. I made a laminated 12 gauge shotgun stock that has held up to buckshot abuse and it is solid! It doesn't have the cool factor of a single beautiful piece of wood, but I think it still looks good.
    Xamllew
    Xamllew
    Tinkerer

    If there is a will, there is a way.


    TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.


    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2015-06-13
    Age : 32
    Location : Florida

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by Xamllew Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:40 pm

    kenh wrote:Where are you?  It makes a huge difference.  Here in South Florida we don't have much either.  Other parts of the country have lots of specialty sawmills that cut and sell a wide variety of woods.

    I buy most of my exotics and domestics, other than Oak and Maple, on line.  Home Depot/Lowe's carry Maple and Oak, and sometimes Mahogany, but in 3/4" boards, not in 2" thick planks. 

    Lumber Liquidators sells a variety of domestic and exotic woods in flooring dimensions - ~3/4" by 4" to 8" wide, you can laminate 3 pieces together to make a nice tiller.

    My bowyer woods I buy from guys who make laminations or planks specifically for archery; likewise the woods I buy for building musical instruments come from instrument wood suppliers.

    Ebay is a good source for small lots of larger pieces and "exotics".  Search on the name of the wood, plus the word Lumber.

    Check your local Craigslist postings.
    Hey, I live in FL too. Panama City Beach, not the best place for woodworkers. Thanks for the suggestions. Home Depots and Lowes around my area only carry red oak and poplar but I just remembered they have free site-to-store shipping so I'll have to see what they have available online. Craigslist is a good idea too.

    Oh by the way, your fiberglass tension-bar crossbow is really awesome. I'm interested in trying my own project with them later on when I can find a source of tension bars.

    twedzel wrote:I use my local Windsor Plywood, they have a decent selection of hardwoods. No usable true "bow woods" like Yew or Osage Orange but I can find plenty of maple, oak, walnut, and cherry amongst some more exotic wood.

    I just accept that my stocks will be laminated from two or more pieces of wood.  I actually prefer laminating stocks, it makes stronger more stable stocks if done right. I made a laminated 12 gauge shotgun stock that has held up to buckshot abuse and it is solid! It doesn't have the cool factor of a single beautiful piece of wood, but I think it still looks good.
    I've got no problem with laminating a tiller, it actually makes the work a lot easier since I can carve the hollow for the trigger mechanism on both sides and then just put the two together.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!


    Posts : 883
    Join date : 2012-08-03
    Age : 75
    Location : Living Aboard a Sailboat in Fort Myers, FL

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by kenh Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:01 pm

    At least you're at the northern end of the state where hardwoods grow!  I'm in Fort Myers.  We've got exotics but everyone saws them into short pieces so the trash men will haul them away.

    If you can't find the fiberglass tension bars there, drop me a note.  There's a fence supplier just down the road where I get them...
    Xamllew
    Xamllew
    Tinkerer

    If there is a will, there is a way.


    TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.


    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2015-06-13
    Age : 32
    Location : Florida

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by Xamllew Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:37 pm

    kenh wrote:At least you're at the northern end of the state where hardwoods grow!  I'm in Fort Myers.  We've got exotics but everyone saws them into short pieces so the trash men will haul them away.

    If you can't find the fiberglass tension bars there, drop me a note.  There's a fence supplier just down the road where I get them...
    Unfortunately I'm still far enough South to have pretty much nothing but Pine forests in all directions.

    Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind if I have trouble finding them. I like the Skane-lock design that you did with yours, I'm thinking about working on a more compact version of that with less poundage.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

    I live here!


    Crossbow JunkieI live here!


    Posts : 883
    Join date : 2012-08-03
    Age : 75
    Location : Living Aboard a Sailboat in Fort Myers, FL

    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by kenh Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:20 pm

    I've also got the tag end of the 1/4" Delrin rod that I used as the Pin that you're welcome to.  A single 28" length of the Tension Rod will give you a respectable draw weight, and you can always add a second lamination if you want more.  A 5 ft length of Bar was about $7 if I remember right.  The custom string I had made was $15, the most expensive part of that whole build.

    Sponsored content


    Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber Empty Re: Local Sources of Hardwood Lumber

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:44 am