The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock

seckshun
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock Empty First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock

Post by seckshun Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 am

I've been unable to find a resource that tells me how the prods should be canted (to figure out where the bowstring would be, if it needs to be angled lower than one would with a nut).
    Can anyone help? I'm a perfect amateur at crossbow-making.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock Empty Re: First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock

Post by Geezer Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:43 am

Geezer here, concerning prod angle and pushpin locks.  It really depends on prod shape and how how you're mounting it.  If you use one of the standard metal prods thru Alchem, Slowbows or Darkwood Armory, I recommending setting the top of the prod about 3/8 (9mm) below the top of the stock and either mounting it square (no forward pitch)or at most @ 5 degree forward pitch.  That should get you a tiny bit of down-pressure on the string. It doesn't really matter much whether you use a push-pin/notch lock or a roller lock. A tiny bit of down-pressure on the string will cost a little power, but it makes your bow quieter, and will reduce the chance of string- hop over the bolt's butt at release.  Of course mounting a string-snubber over the lock will also help greatly, but that's another question entirely.  Have fun stormin' da castle. Geezer.
    seckshun
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock Empty Re: First-ever crossbow, trying a pin and lever lock

Post by seckshun Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 am

Thank you very much! That was extremely helpful.
    I'm going to attempt to make my own wooden prods, since the goal I set out with was "use as much of this oak tree I've cut down as Possible", we'll see how that turns out.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Hello Seckshun;   I'll pass an experience I just had with my first  push pin lock. I cut the front edge, " that's the edge that holds the string" at a perfect 90 degrees.I made the cut exactly 1/2" deep. Shot it twice. The third time I cocked it I was just setting the arrow  down. It went off by itself. This is only about a 100 pd. bow.To fix this ,I just filed the notch so that the bottom of the cut moved more forward. In other words the notch now has a very slight hook to the rear on it. I have over fifty shots on it now  and no problems.It doesn't take any more trigger pressure to fire either.I'll tell you one thing for sure --- never get careless or trust anything mechanical.I have had first run trails go bad before, it never ceases to scare the hell out of me. Just pay close attention.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes, cutting a little bit of a hollow to hold the string on a notch-bow is a good idea. Too much hollow will indeed increase your trigger-pull substantially, but a tiny bit of hollow, smoothed out well should give you increased security with no appreciable increase in trigger-pull.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:36 am

Geezer; You know ,I'm thinking that even though I thought I had a perfect cut on that notch it wasn't. I made a tempoary catch for the string and watched it creep up and finally go off. Just one of those things, and like I said---always be on guard and careful. And  for the new fellows=--- never trust a safety.
    Onager Lovac
    Onager Lovac
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Onager Lovac Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:47 pm

The first crossbow i built had a hole nd peg style trigger and it went off by itself very often, the bow had a draw weight of 125 pounds and despite this it was a little bit hard to shoot, i had to really grip the trigger, not that much but still, what poundage will your crossbow have?
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Onager; Mine has about the same pull weight as you mention.I cured my dryfire by cutting the slant or hollow as mention above. Since I done that , I've had no more troubles, BUT I am not stupid enough to trust it totally.For that matter, I NEVER trust any bow or gun period.
    Onager Lovac
    Onager Lovac
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Onager Lovac Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 pm

hey c sitas, i try to treat my crossbow with respect, but some times i just shoot it like it was a toy, i feel like some day i will loose my fingers x, anyway, have you shot your crossbow often? and is there any wear on the notch for the string?.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Onager; I have about 200 shots on this bow. So far no troubles. The serving is jusy barely starting to fray,but for me that's no problem . I can make a new one in about 30 minutes. The staock and pin look as though they have never been used yet. I'm sure that will change soon also.I can say , that I like a regular metal trigger better though. The long travel is not really helping my accuracy.I'm jumpy when it comes to long pull triggers.I been cocking this bow with a whippie and I love it compared to a winch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 am