The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
twedzel
stuckinthemud1
6 posters

snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period Empty snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 am

Hi All,

following on from the wooden prod discussions (Wood prod II), this bow (http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/34790) is described as "....snakeskin..." which must surely raise questions about the decoration applied to other composite prods of the period, some of which may well be decorated birch bark but surely many may have been mis-identified????
    twedzel
    twedzel
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period Empty Re: snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period

Post by twedzel Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:47 am

Its not merely decorative, both birch bark and snakeskin are attempts at waterproofing the sinew. Without them the sinew/hide glue is very susceptible to moisture.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period Empty Re: snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am

True enough, but this is the first reference I have come across to the use of snakeskin; all other medieval bows that I have come across have been referenced as painted birch bark, which makes me wonder what percentage of bows, for example in paintings, or those in collections which have not had the benefit of detailed analysis, are in fact not painted to mimic snake-skin, but actually have had a real snake-skin applied: I suspect that the percentage might be quite high as it must be quicker and easier to apply a skin than painting on a detailed pattern, even if the skin were applied onto bark as a sort of belt-and-braces approach to water-proofing.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm

I have some experience with snakeskin (snakes being much more common than birch trees in my area Razz ), and have used the material to cover a crossbow prod and several sinew-backed archery bows. It's fairly popular among modern bowyers for this purpose, and makes an effective waterproofing layer over the sinew. I find the patterns very pretty, and as you note it's quick and easy to apply over a sinew back.

That said, I actually don't think the material on the bow in the link is snakeskin. To me it looks more like painted cloth, something like canvas in texture. The "scales" are too fine, and too regular. Oddly, I've not encountered any period bows that looked to me like they had real-deal snakeskin covers, but quite a few with painted snake-like patterns over cloth and birchbark. The one composite bow I found that did seem to incorporate real snake (probably boa or python skin) was said to be a Victorian reproduction.

My suspicion is that snakeskin was indeed occasionally used in composite prods (hence the imitations), but that birchbark or painted cloth were the preferred materials, for whatever reasons. It's also possible that the skin may not have held up well over time, leaving the bark/cloth covered prods more common among surviving examples. It may simply be more appealing to pests, like rodents, moths and so on.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:42 pm

A quick google search revealed one other example, (https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=651&q=crossbow+snakeskin&oq=crossbow+snakeskin&gs_l=img.3...2449.10416.0.11589.18.12.0.6.1.0.54.514.12.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..6.12.518.Y_ppznHM0FQ#imgrc=Q8I2IqA2FsvCHM%3A)   but until today all the medieval bows I knew of have painted cloth or bark coverings.  Still, the two examples do open up an interesting possible alternative.  It also opens a possibility that the painted bark or cloth coverings are copying, sometimes, other examples (now lost to us) that were covered in snake skin
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:19 pm

That first bow is the Victorian copy I mentioned...it's real skin, but I don't think it's a real medieval bow. The period (?) quiver next to it certainly looks to be covered with real snakeskin, though...

I'd honestly be very surprised if snakeskin was NEVER used; it's very suitable for the needed purpose, and the ancients were always very practical. I think it probably just didn't last very well.

(Sinew is definitely appealing to mice, at least. I recently found they had nibbled a little on one of my sinew/snakeskin bow tips, while the bow was in storage...Razz. The bow was only stored a couple months; it's easy to imagine an entire bow being eaten over several hundred years! Come to think of it, this may be a reason why old composites are so rare in general, they're just too delicious to survive Surprised .)
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:38 pm

MMMM, beef chews wrapped for freshness available at your convenience; tasty treats!! Sad about your bow tips, how did you repair them?
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:43 pm

I didn't do anything to fix it, actually; it was just a tiny nibble right on the end of one nock, and didn't affect the bow's performance. It was just enough to tell that they liked it...and that I better move the bow back into the house, pronto!  Very Happy
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Always nice to have your work appreciated Smile
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Indeed...lol! Very Happy I never had cloth-backed or all-wooden bows nibbled...somehow I bet a canvas covering would appeal to them much less, especially if covered in oil paint made (in period) with lead, arsenic, or other toxics as well. Might even mask the smell of the sinew underneath.
    Armbrustier
    Armbrustier
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Armbrustier Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 am

I must say that I have seen most published horn bow crossbows and I have NEVER seen any other bow covering than birchbark with printed patterns and only two bows with what seems to be pre coloured strips of probably parchment glued on over parchment or birchbark.

Most of the known horn bows have what is sometimes known as the "Forellen muster" or Trout pattern, where the birchbark are first painted white and than printed with the black pattern. This pattern are printed with quite some force so the birchbark gets a relief. 
    Stuckinthemud1's photo shows this regular printed pattern. 
    Thank you for these photos, I had only seen less good copies of them earlier.

This idea that snakeskin was used has been repeted in some books but it's just because some think it looks like snakeskin. 
    AND most museum personal don't know the difference either.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:27 am

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to have a composite bow with snakesking cover turn up in a collection somewhere, but everything I've encountered has turned out to be bark or paper covered.  And yes, collection curators are often surprisingly ignorant about their collections.  Guess you can't know everything...Geezer.
    Armbrustier
    Armbrustier
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Armbrustier Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:57 am

I WOULD be very surprised if an AUTHENTIC snake skin composite crossbow should turn up Geezer! I don't believe that any exist, but of course I can't prove that in any way.

Have you actually seen any composite bow that believe is covered in "paper"? 

I think that paper makes for a very poor covering material. 

I guess that parchment is a better choice as it is a tougher material, but how you apply a printed sheet of parchment to a bow without getting it stretched and miss aligned is probably not an easy task.

I think that "paper" and "snake skin" comes from a time when people didn't know better, if it looked like "snake skin" it probably was; now we know that it wasn't so. And I can agree that it in many times look as a composite bow is covered in paper over birch bark when the outer layers of the birch bark has disappeared.
    twedzel
    twedzel
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by twedzel Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 am

I wonder why they would be going to great pains putting "imitation snakeskin" on if there were no real snake skin covered prods. Its like having imitation wood paneling on station wagons without having the real woodies that came before them. As we know snakeskin and birch bark serve a function beyond decoration. So real snake skin would be a desirable object in the world of sinew prods. Cloth and parchment would actually hinder function in wet environments as they would soak through and then keep the sinew wet. This would be disastrous to function in more damp regions of Northern Europe (unless they had developed another method of keeping them dry that I am not aware of).
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Twedzel:  My reasoning is much the same as yours.  Why go to the trouble to imitate snakeskin cover on a stock if nobody made them that way?  It's sort-of analogous to English 15th century (or thereabouts) laws prohibiting the use of sights on military longbows... One wouldn't bother to pass such a law if nobody ever tried it.  So yes, I think there's a possibility some composite prods may have been covered with laquered snakeskin to keep out moisture, despite the fact that none are extant at present.  Merely an academic question for me.  I'm not going to make any composite prods anyway.  Geezer.
    Cornerstone
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Cornerstone Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Could someone provide photos of bows covered in birch bark? I'm trying to gather references for a project

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm