The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» fix bolts
by lyonsmayne Yesterday at 7:52 pm

» Collotiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:00 pm

» New Build for 2020
by c sitas Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:47 pm

» how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow?
by c sitas Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:05 pm

» Fascinating reconstruction
by drawknife Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 am

» Cutting delrin straight by hand?
by drawknife Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:09 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by sydney1942 Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 pm

» Cocking via moving the bow.
by ora8i Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:03 pm

» Claw crossbow prototype
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 am

» Stirrups, how heavy? Design help needed
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:24 pm

» ash lath and pin-lock crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm

» Finish on lashings
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 pm

» Look what the smith sent
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm

» Covid 19 and crossbow builders
by kenh Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 am

» Crossbow accuracy
by Geezer Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 am

» How do you feel about miniature crossbows?
by El Zurdo Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 am

» Just finished my windlass crossbow!
by Dennis Greenaway Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 pm

» Sinew backed crossbow prod tillering. Update and questions.
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:43 am

» snakeskin not birch bark on composite bows in medieval period
by Cornerstone Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:50 pm

» two axle mechanism makers/accurate plans?
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 am

» Stonebow Buildalong
by banuvatt Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:00 pm

» How to Attach a PVC Prod to a Stock?
by banuvatt Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 am

» finally started my first composite bow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri May 29, 2020 12:40 am

» AMAZING MINI CROSSBOW code name KillCovid-19
by El Zurdo Thu May 21, 2020 3:14 am

» Draw length ash lath
by banuvatt Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am

Hello all!

Tarzan65
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Hello all! Empty Hello all!

Post by Tarzan65 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

Im from Sweden and tried to carve myself a longbow some years ago. I soon stated that this was not my path. Instead I started thinking alternative sources for power. I soon came up with steelsprings. Im not sure Ide never seen such konstructions at that time so I started blindly. I ended up with one maxisized crossbow, I cant decide if its a Big Bertha or just a Fat Bastard, and a mini.

The maxi had a open stock at the rear that was supposed to contain some kind of industrial monster spring. I never found one, so after some trials I got my hands on trampolinesprings. At the frontpart of the T-shaped stock I planned to put 4 springs on either side. I tested to shoot it with 2 springs on both sides and it was obvious that maxi suffered from heave big limbs and a string that had a lot of stretch.

The mini had 2 exhaustsprings from a endurobike. Quite hard for the slim size. I fitted small wheels on the limbs to get a slightly longer pull. It felt good when I cocked it, but when I shot it I was a little dissapointed. It works for shooting beercans from 5 meters but not more..

Now I am eager to try to develop my crossbowbuilding. Ive read a lot on the net and Im interested in trying to build an inswinger. First I want to try to rebuild what I can from the old ones. Maxi has a doubledecker design on the upper T-part so I cant rebuild it to an inswinger whithout alter the hole stock. It will have to bend to the traditional side but I will do a string arrangement that will (hopefully) make the limbs bend all the way in to the stock like a flipper.

The mini should be able to work in an inswingermoderation. I found some small pressuresprings Id like to try to put into the equation.

Aside from these springprojects Ive read a lot about rubber and watched several of Jörgs films. You can have a rubber that makes drawlength infinitive. But is it always better? I You want to shot heavy objects at close range for maximal destruction ( I think that is Jörgs motto.) it works well but if You want maximum speed to a light arrow Im afraid that thick heavy rubber will make the speed suffer. In a test I found from a swedish slingshotshop, the thinnest tubes were the fastest. The setup with triple small rubbers was faster then the thickest rubbertubes, although I think that the big tube had more pounds then the tiny trippel together it was slower.

I wonder if its enough to increas the speed of the thickest rubber by combining it to limbs or if multiple smaller tubes is the better option? One of the inswingers on this forum uses small officerubbers and that seems to work well enough.

In contradiction to long and slow heavy rubbers we have Jörgs James Bond-gun that seems to work very well with a supershort thick rubber. It seems to be a perfect ratio in there to be found between rubber length and rubber thickness.

I have already ordered some heavy speargun rubbers so I will try them for the next projekts.

Can anyone tell me if its a given difference in power between springs and rubbers? Ive read quite a lot but never seen a comparizon what I can remember..

Current date/time is Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 am