Here are the results!
First, I eliminated the weight problem of the steel bow by heavily shortening the bow and adding some very lightweight Maple siyahs. First, this shortens the working length of the bow, increasing draw weight. Second, it quiets the original, very noisy steel bow. Third, it makes it all look FAR nicer and aesthetically pleasing.
Sadly, a magazine could not be accomplished, and I think that would only work with a barrelled bb crossbow, which this is not. Then again, it is supposed to simulate a crossbow at safe levels, and one big thing with a real crossbow is single-shot problems, so oh well.
Accuracy was pretty rough, mostly because I didn't actually have any sort of sighting system, and also because the slotted track for the bb was cut very haphazardly. I fixed this by epoxy-ing in a piece of 1/4'' (around 6mm internal diameter) brakeline, and sanding and filing it flush to the stock.
Thanks to the lower profile of everything, and the tighter fitting, the shuttle for propelling the bb was heavily lightened, and is now much more efficient and accurate.
I've added a primitive yet very functional adjustable sighting system, a spring loaded detent, and a bb feeding tube for easy breech loading. I've also attached a cheapo tac rail to the handgrip on the stock for some airsoft attachments.
Lastly, the bow no longer uses the annoying string method to clamp it in place, and now uses a piece of thick rubber, supported on the back with thick dankung tubular rubber, along with to screws to tighly hold it in place. I found that since the bow was so thin, all of it flexed, so you could only really clamp in the direct center.
Oh yeah, that nail sticking out is the safety, good enough if you ask me
Heres some pictures:
So yeah, I think I really perfected this crossbow, and turned into something much better than before.
Lemme know what you guys think!