The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother
by c sitas Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:34 pm

» Chu Ko Nu - repeating chinese crossbow
by c sitas Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 am

» Skew of tiller
by drawknife Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:18 am

» tiller desgin
by crusader Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 am

» Want to build modern target crossbow
by ora8i Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:20 pm

» starting a 1400's replica
by tghsmith Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:25 am

» New Medieval just about finished
by Dark Factor Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 am

» How do I tune this
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 am

» Plans and materials for my first build
by c sitas Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 am

» Bolt rest
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:24 pm

» Collotiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:25 pm

» ash lath and pin-lock crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:56 am

» Late medieval tournament distances?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 am

» Cutting delrin straight by hand?
by kenh Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 pm

» Other forums like this one?
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:23 am

» new find in china, terra cotta warrior site
by tghsmith Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:42 am

» Crossbow Books
by Andy. Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:46 pm

» 95lb ancient crossbow shot faster than 960lb medieval
by Fangbows Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:36 pm

» best type of horn to use..
by kenh Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 pm

» re-introduction
by tghsmith Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm

» 4 fletch question
by 8fingers Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:14 am

» fix bolts
by MPDVM Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm

» Reverse draw compound bow build
by c sitas Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:20 pm

» New Build for 2020
by Gnome Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:19 am

» Spanning bench ideas
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm

5 posters

How close to original would you go

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

How close to original would you go Empty How close to original would you go

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Right, I'll confess, I am a sinister man. I'm left handed. Medieval bows are right handed, I think they are all right handed but could be wrong in that. If I carve a lefty stock in making a close/exact 15th century replica, is this one adjustment too far?
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

How close to original would you go Empty Re: How close to original would you go

Post by kenh Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Medieval prods are not "handed".    Even into the 16th century, they're pretty much a straight stick with varying profiles -- no offset to one side or the other.  Back then handed-ness just wasn't a thing people designed for when making objects - crossbows or shoes or ....
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Maybe it was just the high-end crossbows then as, for example, the Mathias Corvinus crossbow seems to have a slightly asymmetrically carved fore-grip with offset 'trigger' mechanism, while the Ulrich bow has a quite pronounced asymmetry to the stock, including a slight 'cheek' and an asymmetry to the fore-grip effectively creating a swell-and-hollow form.  So, sweeping generalisations aside, a straight stock would be the norm, but how wrong would it be to carve a slightly left-handed stock? Is there any precedent?
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

How close to original would you go AttachmentI first thought this was a lefty but actually the image might have been flipped but it does show that high-end stocks were sometimes 'handed' - the image below is the other way round (I think) 

How close to original would you go Attachment
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, generally speaking, most medieval crossbows are straight (if tapered) sticks, and not built for either hand.  But high-end bows were made for individuals whose tastes differed.  Starting in the 15th century, there are lots of bows with a slight cheek asymmetry for the preferred hand (usually left side for right-handed shooters) I can't recall seeing any bows specifically made for left handers, but I don't think it does any harm to make a few that way.   I've seen at least one bow (maybe 16th century) that had a very asymmetric stock, with the tiller-end offset quite dramatically.  I'll look thru my old snapshots to see if I can find provenance.  Geezer.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 am

I made my last tiller asymmetrical on purpose...I was having sight picture issues with a straight tiller (shooting to the right, or having to cock my head awkwardly to line up with the bolt). The asymmetrical tiller automatically places my dominant (right) eye exactly over the bolt, a big improvement for quick, accurate shooting. I'm confident the old-timers did it for the same reason.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

No doubt you are right.  Bows made for individuals could be, and were made for individual tastes. Geezer.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 am

I noticed quite a few original tillers with this sort of asymmetry, once I was looking for that detail. The pics above are a nice example. It makes sense to me; when you are making something for an individual user, you may as well make it fit comfortably... Cool

I have also encountered a few photos of some VERY asymetrical tillers, like 3-4" off-center...made for a right eyed, left handed shooter, perhaps?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 am

Yup: somewhere in my photo collection I've got a few shots of a Very Offset (to the right, for a right-handed shooter) crossbow tiller in a European museum.. the butt makes a very pronounced jog, a couple of inches right, then straightens out again. Presumably the shooter could easily get his eye right in line with the groove.  It's around here somewhere.... Geezer.
    jamesjohnson
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by jamesjohnson Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 am

kenh wrote:Medieval prods are not "handed".    Even into the 16th century, they're pretty much a straight stick with varying profiles -- no offset to one side or the other.  Back then handed-ness just wasn't a thing people designed for when making objects - crossbows or shoes or ....
    Indeed, as a rule, most medieval crossbows are straight sticks, and not worked for either hand. In any case, top of the line bows were made for people whose tastes varied. Beginning in the fifteenth century, there are bunches of bows with a slight cheek asymmetry for the favored hand (typically left side for right-gave shooters) I can't review seeing any bows particularly made for left handers, however I don't figure it does any damage to make a couple of that way.
    I have a mini crossbow that's pretty good. I bought it for hunting practice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:25 am