The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

2 posters

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Empty crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been in correspondence with the curator of arms and armour in the Royal Armoury Collection, Stockholm regarding the crossbow (below) and he has very kindly taken photos, measurements and provided some notes which I have permission to share with you, hope you will find them interesting.  

Before I start, I believe this is the bow posted to Viking Sword, examined by Mikael Dahlström who sometimes posts here, and which he identified as a wood-and-sinew bow.  I would love for Mikael to join in on this one.

The museum catalogue, however, describes  the bow as made of two layers of wood (presumably yew) and horn. On inspecting the crossbow, the curator did agree that the bow does look like it is made of yew and that it is hard to see if there are any horn at all, stating the front of the bow looks like it is horn as suggested in the catalogue online but that the material is hard to identify since it is partly covered.

The whole crossbow weighs 2000 g. The thickness where the bow meets the stock is 45 mm. At the tip of the bow it is approximately 26 mm. From tip to tip it is 700 mm long, and front to end the stock is 710 mm. The height of the stock is 65 mm where it meets the bow.

The bow is partially covered in printed birch bark and the front would have been striped in black, white and natural wood colour.

Enjoy the pictures, any and all comments welcome.

Andrew

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6295

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6296

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6299

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6297

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6298

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6300

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Img_6301
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Empty Re: crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden

Post by OrienM Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for posting! How cool to see one of my favorite original crossbows from some new angles Very Happy

I still don't see a horn layer in the prod, just what looks like remnants of nice linear painting and very clean edge trimming on the parchment cover. It would be odd structurally if the horn layer was on the back (convex) side, IMO; however dry old sinew could easily be mistaken for old, de-laminating horn if one wasn't very familiar with both materials.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden Empty Re: crossbow 17136, Royal Armoury Collection, Sweden

Post by OrienM Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:59 am

I also see what looks like rodent damage (two bite marks) in the last pic of the prod tip. I've found that rodents will eagerly eat sinew and parchment if given the chance; I suspect it's one reason for the very low survival rate of original wood/sinew composites.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:39 am

I've had a really close look at the images and the first photo of a tip seems to show a patch below the string where the covering is worn away to reveal a solid yew tip, also, from what I can gather, in yew/horn/sinew laths, the yew tends to be up to about 11mm (1/2") at the thickest point of the bow, reducing to nothing an inch or so before the nocks, which tend to be solid horn - the exposed yew belly here appears to be much thicker than that. On balance, I would go with it being a yew/sinew bow. One thing, though, if it is indeed a yew/sinew composite, it really looks like a horn bow, do you think? Maybe to look more expensive than it really was? So, if it were fully wrapped, we'd be happy to declare it a horn bow? So, how many 'horn-bows' in various collections have been mis-identified where the wrapping is still intact? Admittedly, very few of the wrappings are intact, but still....
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:54 am

Agreed, on the one nock the yew core thickly backed with sinew is pretty clear Very Happy. The distinct line visible further down the limb (which could be taken as a lamination line) looks to me to be the trimmed edge of the parchment cover.

I also think this is a "luxury" crossbow...not exactly hiding the wood/sinew prod IMO, since they left the belly uncovered, but a fancy, nicely decorated (and powerful-looking Cool ) rendition. The tiller inlays look like ivory...they appear to be single pieces, too long to be bone.

I'd bet that wood/sinew prods were not uncommon in "utility-grade" weapons, either, but it seems like even fewer of these survived through the years. Total speculation, but it sure seems easier to find a good wood billet than to construct a horn belly.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:27 am

Definitely a high-end crossbow, though I think with antler rather than ivory as antler is significantly easier to work and was widely available in the late middle ages. I think that the second image might be suggesting the possibility that the current finish is not the original one - there are two different patterns - the polka dot and something else, like a repeated quatrefoil in a sort of triangular banding? It looks like someone cut off the original cover at the lath bindings and over time the lath has slipped sideways to reveal this off-cut. I don't know for sure, any thoughts?
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm

The prod look like it was knocked sideways in the bridle bindings, possibly by being dropped on the left-side prod tip (the same one showing yew and frayed sinew). You can also see lighter-colored wood exposed on one side, where it was originally covered by the leather binding.

The little added piece of printed parchment/birchbark in the center I'd guess is original, and maybe included as padding (for noise damping) between the tiller and prod...? I used thin leather in a similar way on my own builds.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

The polka dot parchment? Seems to be universal for this time period, oil painted birch bark is very easily damaged so a sheet of parchment is inserted to protect the surface of the lath from the coarse bridle string.  The lath is usuallly mounted with a nice thick leather pad between it and the stock preventing the stock chewing lumps out of the lath

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am