The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts.

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Empty CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts.

Post by Ivo Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello Everyone,

In my endless search for cool ways of getting things done I found a really cool one...and I mean "cool" when I say it.

Water-jet cutting is simply amazing from what I hear - there is no heat involved since these machines practically "cut with water", the parts can be cut from a great range of solid materials of various thicknesses. I hear the edge quality will vary with the speed of the cut, so we should keep that in mind, choosing the options very carefully when ordering parts to be made.

More info at >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Dwjsta10
    I will be sending out my first parts blue print to see for myself what these machines can do...who's with me? CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_cheers

Ivo
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Empty Re: CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts.

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am

Yeah water jet cutters are pretty sweet. If I remeber correctly water jet cutters work great for stuff like aluminum and accrylics because they don't burn the edges. We were talking about this at work a few days ago and water jets were the prefered method for cutting out the aluminum pieces because the finish was better than a laser cutter.
    Pavise
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Empty Re: CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts.

Post by Pavise Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 am

Well, well well Ivo, what will you discover next? And I have only begun to explore an entry level milling machine after graduating from a hand drill and a wooden handled hacksaw. LOL

Yes those Flo-jet cutters, that often incorporate very fine abrasives with the intensified water, are incredible, and also capable of cutting very fine detail parts from a variety of materials. My friend has one that he uses to cut precious metal letters etc., for application to his trophy belt buckles. Such extreme high pressure water jet cutters are also very noisy and really demand a dedicated environment if used frequently too. Electro Discharge Machining (EDM) or Spark Errosion as it is called in the UK, is another way of cutting metal shapes. This process is sometimes slower but metal in the hardened or tempered state can be cut as well as normalized metals. The EDM Wire Machine is used for cutting profiles and this is where a very fine wire runs slowly through the material somewhat like a bandsaw blade only much slower with the X and Y movements of the part governed by CNC program. Minute sparks between the thin moving wire and the metal causes very fine errosion (hence the name) much like when we touch a cable to a battery and the battery post melts a bit, just as an example; only less dramatic. There is of course much more to all of this and I suggest you Google or otherwise search for the complete story. I have only tried to further whet your appetite for such info.

However any of these machines can be hugely expensive and if jobbing your crossbow parts out then you'd better have a readable CAD drawing available for the operator, in order to keep your input costs to a minimum.

Pavise
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:21 am

Well you've succeeded. CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_smile Spark-erosion sounds even more wicked than what I first thought of it - it can actually cut things!?!?! And the precision is...well... putting it lightly - "insane" CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_eek

Here is a vid I found of the two systems working together, Water-jet for rough cuts and EDM for the precise finish cuts...all the part handling is done by a robot...

All such things interest me and I'm very glad you guys are sharing this fantastic info with the guys who "haven't" even graduated from wooden handles yet(yeh I'm talking about myself). CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_lol I am however almost at the edge and will be grabbing a few MicroLux machines/accessories at the end of next month to add a little variety to my boring and brutally imprecise shop life...

With Water-jets... there is this place that was recommended on a knife making forum.

http://www.wc-waterjet.com/

West Coast Waterjet
    2426 West Commodore Way
    Seattle, WA 98199
    Tel: (206) 459-2233
    Fax: (206) 297-1708
    info@wc-waterjet.com

From their site info and the reviews I hear...that place sounds very interesting. I was planning to give them a call last few days, but got caught up in work. On the other hand it's actually good I didn't call yet, since I didn't know they might charge extra for converting a blue print to CAD CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_silent will definitely include that question in my conversation. Thanks for the "heads up", Pavise!

PS: While I'm looking into this matter and trying to get some parts made...is this video real? or fake? CNC Water Jet Cutters - cool way to make some parts. Icon_biggrin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am