OK I fixed the string twist and the fistmele it is now just shy of 3". I ended up lashing on the stirrup that I don't really care for
all in all it doesn't look that bad because I etched it, But I still have plans for a new one! (pictures to follow) I fab'ed an added a spring clip(didn't etch it) I ordered the string material Mac suggested and will be making my next
(4th) string out of it! Also Ivo I agree! I think the tickler being black will tie it all in (spring clip is also black).
So to the fun stuff! I finally got to shooting! I threw together a few bolts, went to a freinds May day gathering and killed some serious hay
I am really happy with its performance!
I was not so happy with my bolt construction
I used tips for aluminum arrows
they ended up breaking off
but I did have my fun before they died! The bolts flew straight and fast! I am totally HOOKED!
ON to the etching! It is just that good old fashioned etching! I put on some masking tape drew a simple design cut out the design with an exacto knife and etched the surface with a small awl 45degrees then 90 degrees to that. just need to keep the awl very sharp and essentially all you are doing is removing the paint to expose the metal below. you can finish up by sealing it with a clear coat to prevant rust.
Thanks for all you advice and comments!