The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

ViaCAD 2D/3D

Pavise
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

ViaCAD 2D/3D Empty ViaCAD 2D/3D

Post by Pavise Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 pm

My youngest brother once told me that I should buy a wig at the same time I buy a CAD program. He said it is better to pull hair from that than from one's head.ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin

But I have had a copy of Punch Software's ViaCAD 2D/3D for some time now and have found it to be most fascinating and useful when developing things like crossbow parts. A "rotate" facility in this program allows me to prove the movement of any part in 2D and check for travel limits and or interference. Another advantage is being able to print parts at one to one ratio and then glue this drawing onto metal for precise marking of holes etc. I even plot my milling machine movements before I start to machine a part and this has proven to be a great time saver. But oh how I wish I had grown up with this new technology instead of with tools that have wooden handles.ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_sad A small CNC milling machine is on my dream list. And one with enough travel to mill precise bolt slots in my crossbows.

Pavise
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

ViaCAD 2D/3D Empty Re: ViaCAD 2D/3D

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Sounds like a useful tool. But yeah CAD programs can be frustrating till you get used to it. Well then they're just less frustration ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_razz

Have you seen plans to make you own CNC mill? Can make a small one using a Dremel as the cutting source. Seemed useful and about the big enough for crossbow parts. Someday.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 am

I like your brothers advice Pavise...makes sense of a lot of things too...

ViaCAD 2D/3D Gorill11
    ...and I was wondering why there are always these idiots running around in monkey suits on campus...turns out those are just future engineers. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_lol
    The features in this app sound excellent thou...Great find...how did you stumble upon this one?

PS:...CNC is my childhood crystal dream ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin , a 4 axis cnc router can be an excellent tool for manufacturing stocks and the like, and building one of those dremel based
    ones will certainly be fun...I can't think of any good uses other than milling plastic or
    rough milling foam for the LFMC casting method and later touching up the cast parts on a
    lathe/mill...speaking of which... ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin

ViaCAD 2D/3D Pgi00010
    Pavise
    Pavise

Post by Pavise Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I am enjoying this forum like no other and only wish that we weren't separated by so many miles. But this new fangled way of sharing is almost as good as being able to visit our respective dens.

An old friend of mine once remarked that 'there is more information available to the enquiring mind today than ever before' and another friend said, "It is not that some are so good at what they do, but rather that so many are unnecessarily bad."

And I strongly believe that the pleasure of owning or having something comes best when shared with another. I am glad to be able to share with all of you on this Forum.

ViaCAD was being offered at my local Staples store one time Ivo and I read the usual promo on the box and figured, oh yeh? But I took a chance and plopped my money down and then took it home. Although, as I say, I grew up learning how to use tools which had wooden handles, I persevered with this program and got lots of help from Tim at Punch Software. Since retiring three years ago, and now having time to rekindle my life-long interest in crossbows, I have had hours of brain stimulating fun with all kinds of related things.

Liquid metal technology and castable plastics are other fascinating subjects that are a little bit removed from my former realm of experience and I am amazed at the applications for these processes.

Robin has cast some finely detailed trigger parts from bronze Ivo and I wonder: since you are in that business, so to speak, whether you have explored the lost wax process, using some of the exotics available through your employment?

Pavise
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:36 am

Liquid metal technology and castable plastics are other fascinating
    subjects that are a little bit removed from my former realm of
    experience and I am amazed at the applications for these processes.

Robin
    has cast some finely detailed trigger parts from bronze Ivo and I
    wonder: since you are in that business, so to speak, whether you have
    explored the lost wax process, using some of the exotics available
    through your employment?

By exotics I assume you mean things like zirconia,titanium,etc? All I can say about exotics is that it's a double sided medal...or in other words a very expensive and precise setup(CNC milling units, sintering furnaces, complex vacuum casting processes, special investments)

Don't even bother with the idea of casting titanium.ViaCAD 2D/3D 738379
    I have no up-close and personal experience with the process, but I've spoken with those who used this technology and tried introducing it to dental labs for a long time and witnessed how the market turned it down because of the special equipment/materials requirements and overall specificness of the process. But On the other hand it is a marvelous material and if we are to use it......it is best to stick with milling it. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin
    I even know a Russian guy who made a crossbow trigger from one of titanium alloys(similar to the design our friend Kali has).....trigger housing and arrow track base(in form of a pipe) is also made out of titanium. There are alot of pages in Russian, but the pictures give an overall idea of the project progress ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_pirat >>>http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/55/374963.html

As for my part...I cast very small and precise things in various high precious metals/alloys as well as non-precious alloys...can't exactly remember what we use, but it's along the lines of surgical stainless steel. In fact I am currently preparing to cast that aluminum nut along with a new double toothed latch for my brothers crossbow. I will be starting a few new topics both in "Design discussion" and Technology's "Metalworking"I love this stuff ViaCAD 2D/3D Drunken_smilie ViaCAD 2D/3D Drunken_smilie ViaCAD 2D/3D Drunken_smilie

...I've also been researching casting plastics and I'm still waiting for my shipment from smooth-on...Mr SAM(thou he disappeared somewhere) he gave me an idea to test and it has to do with replicating the look of bone and horn, so we might be for a treat on this one, as smooth on has a whole product line directed at taxidermy(horns/bones,teeth, etc replication) ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_cheers

PS: About this type of communication...ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin I'll tare myself away from work eventually and grab a plane ticket to come to one of Cranequin shoots, If I don't make it there I'll meet up with you guys at Robin's Shop someday. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_wink
    Pavise
    Pavise

Post by Pavise Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Ivo,

A shoot and get-to-gether at Robin's place or somewhere would be marvelous. God willing, both Robin and I will live long enough to be there. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_lol

Liquidmetal Technologies is a company in California and Korea that makes the most fascinating things from this patent process. See them at the following URL:
    http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/

Yes I am familiar with Smooth-On products too. It turns out that a very knowledgeable old business acquaintance of mine is their rep in my area. I have some samples from Rick and intend to experiment with casting a bolt track in situ as well as replicating some ivory look-alike parts. i.e. nuts and inlays. These various reinforced plastics can often meet the demands we place on such parts without incurring the sometimes expensive other ways of doing things.

Pavise
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Pavise wrote:Hi Ivo,

A shoot and get-together at Robin's place or somewhere would be marvelous. God willing, both Robin and I will live long enough to be there. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_lol

ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_smile

Pavise wrote:Liquidmetal Technologies is a company in California and Korea that makes the most fascinating things from this patent process. See them at the following URL:
    http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/

What I remember from Soviet Times when I was still a kid, one of my close relatives had to have brain surgery and had a choice between a metal skull plate and a metal/plastic or metal/glass hybrid material plate...it was all still in research and was as expensive as owning your own space shuttle..surprisingly we were offered this option anyway. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_pale Ended up not needing it.

The demonstration is amazing thou ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_eek

Pavise wrote:Yes I am familiar with Smooth-On products too. It turns out that a very knowledgeable old business acquaintance of mine is their rep in my area. I have some samples from Rick and intend to experiment with casting a bolt track in situ as well as replicating some ivory look-alike parts. i.e. nuts and inlays. These various reinforced plastics can often meet the demands we place on such parts without incurring the sometimes expensive other ways of doing things.

Pavise

At first I ordered a few things from this dental company I work with...only to learn that the material would not cure past a certain thickness..oh well I'm glad I learned it then and not in the middle of fabricating a prosthetic...imagine, worlds first mold to shape denture.ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_lol

I did order a few things from Smooth-on after consulting with a few of their technicians, thou I don't know If I'm going to have enough for all the experiments I have planned. Perhaps I'll be making some metal or composite cores first and then casting around them. We should definitely do a topic on it when we get our stuff. ViaCAD 2D/3D Icon_biggrin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am