The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

5 posters

Looking for some wood selecting help.

SilverWolf
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Looking for some wood selecting help. Empty Looking for some wood selecting help.

Post by SilverWolf Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Hallo all this is my first time one the forum so i'm sorry to barrage you all with questions allready.

I'm a member of a crossbow guild in Belgium and for the last year i have been borrowing a crossbow from the guild.
    Now i want to build my own crossbow or let it be made if the crossbow maker still want to make one (heard rumors that hes retiring).

So i need some tips on the type of wood i can use for this project.
    The guild use's traditional Belgium crossbows with a lever, there mostly 2 or 3 type's of wood used.

Here are some picture's of the crossbow i'm borrowing just to give you a idea of how they look (click on the image to enlarge).

Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.

Looking for some wood selecting help. Th_SDC10579_zps1df44ad8

Looking for some wood selecting help. Th_SDC10578_zpse3a6c003

Looking for some wood selecting help. Th_SDC10577_zps16101a51
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Looking for some wood selecting help. Empty Re: Looking for some wood selecting help.

Post by Hermit Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 am

Good Morning from Canada Silverwolf.The bow you are currently using,the stock,or tiller is made from 3 pieces(laminations) of oak.The track where the arrow goes,I am not sure about.You can use any stable hardwood for the stock,Oak I would think is easy to get in Belgium.The woods that are commonly used for stocks(both gun and crossbow)are Maple, walnut and Beech((cheaper guns)Oak is not usually used for gunstocks,but I don't know why not,I see no reason why it should'nt be.Mahogany is also a good possibility,as is Birch.If you are going for good looks ,Walnut is generally thought to look the best,Maple can offer some spectacular grain,but is a light coloured wood,and is not usually stained dark,Mahogany a dark wood also.you need to talk to anyone you know who works with wood,they should be able to tell you what you can get locally,and how much it will cost.
    There are literally hundreds of woods you can use(there are over 200 different types of Mahogany)I suspect it will come down to what you can buy locally,for a reasonable cost.
                                                            Hermit.
    Stonedog
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Looking for some wood selecting help. Empty Re: Looking for some wood selecting help.

Post by Stonedog Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 am

That's impressive....whoever built it is an artist....
    SilverWolf
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SilverWolf Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Thank you very much for the info Hermit.

I will be looking around for hard woods, and your right oak and beech are easy to find around here.

I will try this project in small size first, so i can see how to start/finish and solve the problem that may popup.
    Thank you very much again for your time and advice.
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Hermit Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 am

Taking another look at that beautiful crossbow you have Silverwolf,I think that the channel for the bolt,is most likely Beech.It looks as though the craftsman who built it used locally available woods,which makes sense.Beech is a nice wood to work with,hard ,tough,very stable(does not warp)but it does'nt have much for grain,so it's not an attractive wood.that's why you don't see it on expensive guns.Oak is a more attractive wood,not as stable as Beech,but when cut right(quarter sawn),can be very attractive.Laminating it,as is the case with your bow,will make it stable.Wood nowadays is kiln seasoned(moisture removed in an oven)But there are still some places where it's naturally seasoned,if you can obtain naturally seasoned wood,that's the best way to go.Hope this helps Silverwolf,and good luck with your build.
                                                                 Hermit.
    SilverWolf
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SilverWolf Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Thank you for the extra tips Hermit.

I was planning to make the middle out of beech because its cheaper and as you say it strong.
    If i put some other wood beside it like a darker one the beech will jump out aswell making it look nice to.

With the arrow grove woord i can go a bit more expensive because i wont need a big slap of it.

But befor i'm starting with the the wood works i'm going to make the trigger mechanism first, during that time i can look around for the wood.
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Post by 8fingers Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:16 pm

A friend of mine is a gun nut, warns that beech gun stocks tend to warp in damp conditions. Highly figured woods also tend to warp. Laminating will tend to stabilize both. Consider cherry, tends to be very stable, and other 'fruit woods' that often come in short lengths and nice figure.
    SilverWolf
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SilverWolf Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:32 pm

8fingers wrote:A friend of mine is a gun nut, warns that beech gun stocks tend to warp in damp conditions. Highly figured woods also tend to warp. Laminating will tend to stabilize both. Consider cherry, tends to be very stable, and other 'fruit woods' that often come in short lengths and nice figure.
    Now if you have a wood that is stablized and seal it up after glueing (dryed) wont that help fight off the warping problems?
    Beside that point is the price of the wood and this is my first time i'm going to try this so i need to keep the cost as low as posible.

i'm going to need a wood slap of 1cm (minimal and straight) thick on 120cm long and atleast 17cm wide and that only for the core of the bow.
    So i will need that same size 2 time's for the out side and a little bit extra for maybe warp and cutting/straightening los.

And if we are talking about damp condition is this around the 80 to 90% humidity on a hydrometer or lower?
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Hermit Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Gunstocks were made for 2 conditions,warfare,and hunting.Both of these conditions can be tough on wood when it comes to exposure to moisture.We have found that certain woods are more stable than others,especially when properly treated.If the wood has been seasoned properly,and the grain is not to extreme,most woods will remain stable.As this is your first build Silverwolf,I think you are smart to go with what is cheap and available.My own experience with beech is that it does not warp,when I was in school,and was taught wood work,all the planes in the woodshop were made of beech(that was a long time ago).Laminating will further reduce the warp factor.The other thing that will protect your stock,is the finish.I have looked at many pictures of  crossbows that are home built,and all to many of them are finished with some form of polyeurethane varnish.This is something I would not do.Polyeurethane varnish is easy to apply and gives a good tough finish,but only on the surface of the wood,should your bow take a knock,and the surface be broken,you then have a way that moisture can get in.In my humble opinion,the best way to get a waterproof finish on a stock,is to use oil.There 2 kinds of oil you can use linseed oil,and tung oil personally,I prefer tung oil,much easier to finish and apply and re-apply than linseed oil.Tung oil comes from the nut of a tree than grew only in China,but is now also grown in North America,and is readily available here,I don't know about availability in Europe.Oak is a good wood to use,as it is coarse grained and porous,so oil will penetrate deeply,and provide the best protection.If your wood is well seasoned,laminated,and oil finished,warping should not be a problem,regardless of humidity.
                                                          Hermit.
    Rizzar
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Rizzar Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Hey there!

I personally would not use beech for your crossbow. Its grain is too short in comparison.
    With Oak I had some problems concerning the wide grain structure, too. But this depends on the growing speed of the tree itself.

When laminating layyers together many things are possible and even not very expensive.
    But you should not save in the wrong places. The tiller is the thing you handle all the time so you will regret doing a compromise with it.

I personnally would prefer ash, maple, Walnut andfruits (cherry is available for considerably low price but the fancy hard ones like peer, plum or appple are expensive)

For the finish I´d recommend an multi oil wax mixture: Osmo Hardwax Oil (german producer, so should not be a problem in Belgium (googled: is even available in the US under osmo na polyx oil)). It gives a beautiful look and touch like the old stuff!
    Thried linseed, Tungoil and other stuff before (even mixtures of these by a secret recipy), but have to admit that the osmo thing is outstanding.

Rizzar
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Hermit Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 am

Vielen danke Rizz,will give the Orno a go if I can get it..............
                                                                       Hermit.
    Rizzar
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Rizzar Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Gern geschehen!

Give it a try, you won´t regret it!
    Very Happy 

Rizz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 pm