The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

2 posters

[solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

[solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread - Page 2 Empty [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evening all!  I would like to start a thread dedicated to the Skane crossbow.  I have been sent a fab set of photos from the museum at Kristianstadt  I will need to resize and which I will attempt to store here in the hope someone will try an accurate reconstruction.  It is on my to do list but I am not going to be able to get to it for a little while
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

[solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread - Page 2 Empty Re: [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:09 am

Thanks.  I think the presence of compression wood might help explain the use of timber that most bow makers wouldn’t even look at twice.  A pair of matching crossbows is significant though.  It seems to me they’ve come from a workshop, so not a home made peasant multipurpose bow.  That would make them some kind of military issue weapon.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

[solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread - Page 2 Empty Re: [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread

Post by kenh Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:33 pm

If not military issue, certainly a stock item at Ye Olde Village Crosse Bowe Shoppe.

I know the pinlock will work with at least 300# prods -- the one in my Avatar  close to that, and IIRC there is a note somewhere of a whaling harpoon crossbow.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:25 am

True, I should swap would for could, they could have been a military bow.  So many “ifs”.  If they are Danish and if they are from mid 14th century.  I guess all we can say is a standard pattern .  No metalwork on the crossbows fits with a post Black Death period, where Denmark lost half its population including many skilled workers in metal.  Simple all wood crossbows would be necessary if you needed new crossbows and didn’t have many blacksmiths
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:54 pm

I realise the lock lever (tickler/tricker/trigger) is located in a fork type thing up front, and, I have seen a reconstruction on line that uses the pin locating in a socket on the lever with a little thread to prevent things falling apart but I can’t see that is true to the original.  Any ideas on how the original lever was mounted?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:31 pm

The lever seems to be doweled to the prod at the front end.  But only "seems". 

It could be simply wedged.  It could be that the trigger pin was attached (glued? in a socket?) to the lever.  If, by geometry,  the slightly overlong but slightly flexible  lever/pin would hold the pin at the other end with a friction fit, still allowing the pin to drop down the diameter of the string or so.  The pin could still move up and down while the forward end of the lever 'floated' in that notch.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:28 am

I didn’t understand the floating front end but it’s actually quite ingenious .  One of the minor issues with a pin lock is the pin goes up and down but the lever travels in an arc.  This set up allows the lever to move back a tiny amount and smooth out the pin movement.  Your comments very neatly explain the shoulder and narrow bottom tip of the pin as this would locate in a hole in the lever.  The drawing suggests the possibility of such a socket.  I imagine a leather sleeve or rope loop would keep the lever closed and protect the lock when not in use
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:53 am

Additionally, securely fastening the pin to the lever stops the pin getting lost
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

From the paper Norra Åsum, Härlöv and Lillö
    Farm, castle and castle.
    ANDERS ÖDMAN
    [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread - Page 2 Img_0452-1459226879-e1679232389281

google trnslation of image description

Montage of Drawings of one of the two identical wooden crossbows found in the moat when it was excavated. The crossbow is of an archaic model and is attributed in the rest of Europe to 1200 -
    14th century. The crossbow arrow, at the bottom of the picture, was on the bottom of the moat pointing,
    according to the catalog of finds, against the bailey.
    (After measurements by Sten Faste in 1941.Ekomuseum Kristianstads Vattenrike.)

[solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread - Page 2 Img_0451-3488831813-e1679232788691

So the close-up shows the pin is splt at its base - in effect a wedged tenon.  I also like it that the pin is "waisted" - I wonder if it would have been tallowed - the waist would create a pocket for tallow as well as reducing contact friction

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am