The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

5 posters

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project

octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Empty Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 am

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1810
    Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project 086_cy13
    Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project 085_cy12
    Well...Good morning Everybody

As I said here, it is my intention to reduce the power stroke using a prod of 95 lb...A few time ago I make this crossbow giving her a style of modern stock, but with a pin trigger...Really, I have no much tools...It gives a nice instinctive shots, but the time fly and it is my intention to made another "weapon" much more weak, with the same prod, but reducing the strength of the bolts...I will try to show the photos...right!
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Empty Re: Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 am

I get to post the photos! The first one it was taken from another post of a colleague in this forum. It is excellent, because show very well my intention! The other two photos were made for me, when I built my last crossbow...
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Empty Re: Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am

So far looks good but why do you want to reduce the power stroke?
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Empty Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello Basilisk 120

Well, It is easy the answer: first, I am obliged to stay at home ( I was operated...a cancer at left kidney ) and to fire inside do not need much power...to reach a target at 10 meters...Second, It is not easy for me (80 years old) to pull the string. But I like vry much to "work" with wood making things that are not statics. I bought a few crossbows, like pistols crossbows...but it is not same thing. The prod for replace sold here do not have less than 95 Lb...I try to kill the time before it kills me...That is the Life!

Regards
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

That is a good reason, you have to stay busy and making things is a good way to stay active.  Hope you are getting better.  Good luck and keep up the good work.
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 am

Yes Basilisk 120...Indeed for me, the principal reason to stay in this excellent Forum is to be occupied an trying to be active and alive. Before, I build replicas of half boats...but the crossbows are much more interesting...
    Have a good day
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Andy. Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Love the beautiful simplicity of this build.

Couple of questions...

The side plates don't look necessary, unless cosmetic or otherwise?
    How is the prod secured tight in the fore end? Friction fit? Wedges?

Well done!
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Octavioaugusto; One option would be to use a short bridle on the string. I normally shoot this way . The big catch is you have to use a regular nock for the bolt. In other words it has to pinch and hold the bolt in firing position.It is the same as what is used shooting a regular bow. My bridles are appros. 3.5 inches long. I use these to under power a shot for in doors practice shooting. In doors this is good for hole for hole shooting at 15 yards.
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 am

Good morning Andy

Answering to your couple of questions...

Yes you get it! The side plates (one in each side of the stock) are not necessary, I put them as a cosmetic decoration...as you see in the photo the pin trigger works in the tube

The prod is secured tight in the end by friction! I put it using a plastic hammer forcing to enter...But in this case that plate is also an aid to press in the middle of the stock

Thank you for your cooperation

Nice dayTrying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1110
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:15 am

Good Morning CSitas (08:19 am at Portugal now)

Now I think your option works very well, but I do not understand the meaning "of a short bridle on the string" Probably you put the bolt not in the nock but 3.5 inches away but of course in the rail...That' it? Make sense, and I will try with additional insert in the rail with that measure to create a new stop for the rear of the bolt...then the string do not pull immediately the bolt and it touch it latter when part of the power is lost. Great idea! Of course it is necessary to mount a new blade longer to hold the bolt. Please tell me if you are agree and if you understand my poor English... Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Bg_2010
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am

Octavioaugusto; good morning where I am. "YES", you have it. As long as the bolt is snapped on to regular string ,it shoots fine .A shorter stock would be fine also, it looks really nice also.The string idea is just a simple way to get by.My trigger is alot narrower than yours,that makes it easier to cock the weapon.In your case all you could do ,is "carefully"  try it. Have a good day my friend.
    jocky
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jocky Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 am

Salut, octvioaugusto. J'aime beaucoup votre travail.

This may seem obvious, but if you want to reduce the power of your crossbow, a simple way would be to reduce the brace as far as possible, that is, to make the string as long as possible without being slack.
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello again Jocky

Yesssssssss! I am working to reduce the power stroke. Just know I cut a little bit... (5 centimetres) in the stock of this crossbow where the prod is fixed...I made it a few time ago using scratch materials. It shots till 50 meters...not bad...but bad for me now as you know...

Well please take a look of the photosTrying to reduce the power stroke in my next project 032a10
    Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1811
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Jocky, I will fix the prod in a less distance of the trigger as you see in the second photo...If that results then I will made a new one not painted to avoid the visible scratches where the different parts are fixed with screws or are glued...

Have a nice week
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Octavio, your cooking with gas now, my friend.
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Good Afternoon my friends

I am very greateful to all my friends helpingTrying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1812 me in this my Post!

Yes. I get it ....Great...your help was excellent! Please take a look: first I put the prod 5 centimetres ( 2 inches) back and now the foot stirrup it is not more necessary. I can pull the string now using only my hands! Nice.
    I have not any rear sight and from sight. I fired to a target homemade in a comer at home ...12 meters good, not in the centre yet...I must have more practice. Tomorrow i will send the photo)

The conclusions are: I need to make a safe system to the trigger and probably use arrows for pistol crossbow, or then bolts less longer ...I do not know yet...( 14 inches?...)

My project is: to make a new another crossbow using the same style of the stock but putting the prod only 4 centimetres back and no 5...because I can pull the string yet without an uncomfortable way. By the way I can decrease a little bit de distance of the stop of the bolt till the trigger...Now is 4 centimetres...I will reduce to half. The finishement will be covering the stock with plastic an imitation of beech-tree

As you see in the next photos I have purchased 3 crossbows in the market ...175 lb...150lb...100 lb but this one made for me, with a prod of 95 lb solve my problem...no more crossbow cooking device! It is good for me and for my wife too! (we are old people...)
    I will show you very soon how I will made that crossbow...

Thanks a lot
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 pm

It is also my intention as I do not need anymore the foot stirrup to elongate more the stock after the location of the prod...That give a better look I think so...
    This crossbow used by tests I will paint all again to cover the new cuts, and I will give it to my son! He loves motor bikes ( he has a nice collection 17)...but he needs something less dangerous...
    octavioaugusto.oliveira
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by octavioaugusto.oliveira Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello Everybody

I  t is done!  ...well the camo has 175 lb...to much! The second one it is my experimental secret weapon...I am very proud of this toy. First... I will give it a better final touch. Right!
    I have one crossbow with stock at wood has a prod also 95 lbs..and another one 150 lb but it was a pitty to modify tthem.

Finally the champ of my shoots...Its length is about 12 meters...I reach the centre once...not bad!

I will made another sportive crossbow much more nice...I will try to get good wood...not pin...

Very soon I will give all of you  news concerning the project...

Have a nice day

See you soon I hope
    Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1814

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1813

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1816

Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1813
    Trying to reduce the power stroke in my next project Gedc1815

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:20 am