The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

5 posters

how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow?

banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow? Empty how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow?

Post by banuvatt Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm

I like repeating crossbows with magazines that feed on the bottom to the top. I have been thinking about building one for a while just for fun. I hate magazines that feed on the top down though. I just think they look ugly in my opinion having a huge block of wood sticking out from the top of your crossbow. I was just wondering about the trigger mechanisms and how to build one so it doesn't interfere with the slot for the bolts?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow? Empty Re: how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow?

Post by Geezer Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 am

A repeating crossbow with bottom feed magazine?  Well obviously it's much easier to have a gravity fed top magazine than a spring-fed bottom magazine, but it can be done.  30 years ago, there was a guy named Floyd Stevens, who lived in an Austin Texas suburb.  He designed a lovely magazine fed crossbow with built-in pulley spanning system. We tried it out in my back yard.  With a light, 75 lb. bow it was fun to shoot.  With a 150 lb. bow it was a bugger to span.  Let me look in my photographic records... I may have pics of Floyd's pistol crossbow, But whether I have them or not, Floyd Stevens DID  register with the patent office... probably @ 1990. So if you do a patent search for repeating crossbow by Floyd Stevens (or mayby Stephens) drawings should come up.  Otherwise, drop me an e mail and I'll forward the photos.  iolo@crossbows.net
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow? Empty Re: how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow?

Post by Geezer Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am

PS: it's spelled Floyd Stephens.  The patent is @ 1987, do a web search under Floyd Stephens crossbow and it will come up.  I note a recent obituary for a Floyd Stephens in Burnet Texas, which is about the area Floyd lived in, so it's possible he's no longer with us.  Geezer.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:55 am

Pursuan to the above, I have found my photos of Floyd Stephens repeater.  I don't think they will be much help without the plans that you can find on the US patent office site.  So go find the Patent office stuff first, download that and then drop me an e mail.  I'll post my snapshots.
    geezer.  iolo@crossbows.net
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Thank you for all the advice, and information you gave me I greatly appreciate it. I looked over the patents of his crossbow, I will say I am very impressed with the concept I think it's a great idea. However, that being said I think though it would be a tad bit too complicated for me to build. I am assuming most of the parts are probably made from metal, and or aluminum except for the grip which most likely wood. I do have some 3/16" mild steel plate scrap laying around. So it would be possible for me to build the frame. That being said though it would require tools that I don't have like probably a band saw (Even though it's possible to cut metal with a hacksaw it's a absolute pain.) I might just make the body out of wood instead so I will be following the plans just not exactly but, loosely. All the attachments will probably be metal. I have some ideas on modifications and improvements though like for instance the extendable stock. My idea to improve that was just to attach it to the bottom of the pistol with a wingnut. So you could change it a lot quicker without tools. Another idea I had was maybe to use bearings to guide the spanning block instead of a metal rod. I thought this might make it smoother to draw back and release.

Last edited by banuvatt on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am

Yes: I found Floyd's plan rather complex and the workmanship was indeed very complex and well done. (One of his crossbows featured in a cheapo movie about heros in... I think it was the Philippines... one of the characters used Floyd's pistol bow.) Still there are lots of good ideas in his design, and the rubber powered spanning block is downright clever... that and the pulleys.  I recommend you use what you can and figure out the rest on your own.  Enjoy the project anyhow. That's how we learn and the Art grows. Geezer.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Late here as usual. Check out George Sprave on the " slingshot channel" if you want to see a simple multishot  repeater crossbow.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

banuvatt wrote:I like repeating crossbows with magazines that feed on the bottom to the top. I have been thinking about building one for a while just for fun. I hate magazines that feed on the top down though. I just think they look ugly in my opinion having a huge block of wood sticking out from the top of your crossbow. I was just wondering about the trigger mechanisms and how to build one so it doesn't interfere with the slot for the bolts?
    Hi Banavatt. 

I messaged you a while back about a new design for a repeating crossbow. I showed the video of the first prototype. I'd be very interested in seeing if you could build this design with your own take on things. The more minds the better!  You said that a top fed mag looks ugly and as you can see in my prototype I got around this problem, keeping a top down magazine. the stock just comes out of the top of the mag while the rail is below.

thanks

ed
    Dennis Greenaway
    Dennis Greenaway
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

how to Build a non Chinese repeating crossbow? Empty George Stevens, Huntsville ARK Made a repeater.

Post by Dennis Greenaway Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

George Stevens made a one which loaded from the top, and cocking from the bottom. I have a couple.
    Fun to play with but you use a light prod
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:12 pm

So I ran into a sort of dilemma, I thought of repurposing the red oak boards which I originally planned for another crossbow project, and if possible making them into two crossbow pistol with an extended stocks. This crossbow is going to shoot steel balls instead of bolts, I am going to put a sled as a way to keep the balls from going up from the magazine into the track all at the same time. This will of course add weight to the string, but I will make lightening holes in the sled to make it more proficient. I think this idea though would limit me to only be able to use prods with a short draw length as the sled would just add extra length to the draw length. Plus a overly long sled would just had extra mass. So what exactly would you recommend me doing making two crossbow pistols/with a extendable stock to save money, make one crossbow pistol with a extendable stock in the case that the length of the board is too short to accommodate for both the sled, and the draw length, or stick to the original plan, and just make a crossbow rifle with a sled but, has a magazine?
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:05 pm

There was a fellow a few years ago on here. Has since passed on. All I remember was his name was Jeep. He made several setups and was demonstrating them at shows and such where he lived.Don't remember what country he was from.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 am