The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+14
thornwarbler
8fingers
Basilisk120
stratboy
Regerald
stoneagebowyer
blades7558
jopsa
basileus
artificer161
firensword
Pavise
Geezer
Ivo
18 posters

Crossbow Books

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Crossbow Books Empty Crossbow Books

Post by Ivo Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:01 am

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd start a little topic on crossbow related books and articles. Smile

There are some very interesting books out there and I see illustrations all over the net that have been scanned from them. I don't mind different language, be it German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, or any other for the matter of fact. If you know of one, list it here, and if possible a place where one would be able to get the book.

I have not read this one yet, but will do so in the near future...I found it online over at this website... LINK

If any one would like to add to the list, please do so. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Last edited by Ivo on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Crossbow Books Empty Re: Crossbow Books

Post by Ivo Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Big Thanks to Regerald for this great find!

Another great addition. A nice little article on construction of a Match grade crossbow....LINK ...I believe the article is in Finnish.

Crossbow Books Matchtargetbooklet
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Crossbow Books Empty crossbow books

Post by Geezer Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 am

Ivo wrote:Hey Everyone,

I have not read this one yet, but will do so in the near future...I found it online over at this website... LINK

Hello everybody Geezer here. I just signed up.

The book you linked to is Ralph Payne-Gallwey's "The Crossbow" published originally in England @1907 by Holland Press. It's still in print. This is the old standby in English. It suffers from its age... don't believe absolutely everything you see, but it's still a wonderful book, with complete plans for a Flemish Arbalest @ 1500.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

This Christmas I became an owner of the new edition of this book with updated and remastered illustrations...many interesting details and plans...thou it is true that not all is truth on these pages, but mostly today the truth is easier to find today than it was back then especially now that we've started to put it together here at the Arbalist...I must agree this book is a great resource despite it's few imperfection. cheers

If you don't mind me asking...I believe I've heard you are writing a book on crossbows too? I'm always excited to learn that there are authors of crossbow related books....It's ok if you want to keep it a little bottled up for now...just wanted to say that I'm very glad to know that there are people with knowledge and experience in crossbow building and that they are willing to share it with the rest of the world.

Ivo
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 am

I have two observations on crossbow books. First: You can download my primer on medieval crossbows from my website at www.crossbows.net I wrote it 15 years ago and it needs some updating, but it may be useful to some of our company.
    Second: Payne-Gallwey's "The Crossbow" has a lovely pattern for a Flemish arbalest, but there are a few things I recommend you do differently. The steel-lined lock socket would be a major obstacle for most craftsmen. You can do very nicely by inletting blocks of moose or Axis-stag horn in the stock and cutting the roller-passage between them with a 'Forstner' bitt. P-G makes his roller a bit shallow, at 3/5 below the top edge of the socket and 2/5 above. I recommend you bury the roller 2/3, with 1/3 protruding. That will give you a much stronger socket. If you bury it as much as 3/4 of it's diameter, you won't be able to take the roller out of the top of the socket.
    P-G places the sear-plug, where the trigger/tickler bears against the nut, almost precisely at the bottom of the nut. If you move the sear around toward the rear of the nut by, say 5 mm. You will get a stronger lock, since the trigger takes more load and the upper edges of the socket are stressed much less.
    Last of all, P-G shows a trigger with complex angles within a passage with similarly complex angles. I'm not sure you could really fit the trigger into that passage, without going in the side. If you look at ancient bows, most of them feature a simple Z shaped trigger that is fitted into a simple slot in the stock. If you feel the slot is too large and unsightly when the piece is finished, one can always fill the excess space with a block and then inlet a decorative bit of bone or fancy inlay over all. Remember, if you make a mistake, you can usually repair and hide the fact with a bit of decoration. In my shop, we call it a 'feature'.
    Other recommended crossbow books: Die Armbrust, by Egon Harmuth, pub. by ADEVA press, Graz, Austria, 1986. A Guide to the Crossbow, by Wm. Paterson, privately published by Society of Archer Antiquaries, 1989. Available through Manchester University Museum, Manchester England.
    Thoughtfully yours: Geezer
    I hope this helps. Geezer
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Crossbow Books Empty More crossbow books

Post by Geezer Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:31 am

Hello everybody: Geezer here again, with another peep into my library. Here are two more excellent sources for your perusal. 'European Crossbows: A Survey' by Josef Alm. Originally published in Swedish, in 1947. This English translation is available through British Royal Armouries... monograph no. 3, p. 1994. This is a lovely little book with plenty of interesting details.
    Second is: 'Crossbows in the Royal Netherlands Army Museum' by Jens Sensenfelder, pub. Delft, 2007. Text is in English, Dutch, and German, with stacks of beautiful pictures of medieval and renaissance crossbows, with many diagrams, measurements and informative text. If you want to build repro-medieval crossbows and don't have easy access to a great museum, you oughta get this book.
    That's all for now. In a few days, I'll post another letter with more suggestions.
    Have fun stormin' the castle. Geezer.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:09 pm

I would also like to add a very good resource that was written by a Russian author Y. Shokaver, book is called "Bows and crossbows. The history of weapons."

Crossbow Books 2705d410
    To get a nice preview of the contents of this resource in case you decide to add this book to your library a Djvu version of it can be found here:

http://depositfiles.com/files/89c3hfbwp

The book is in Russian, but it does have some nice info on lever calculation and trigger diagrams as well as principals of operation...also worth mentioning that it contains information on more than just medieval crossbows/bows

Also thanks to Zmeelink and Mr SAM (as well as others on forum.arbalet.info) I found out about this weapons encyclopedia that holds some very interesting information on crossbows.

Mr SAM wrote:
    Crossbow Books Img0h.th
    All this shown clearly in this drawing from Bekhajms "The Weapon Encyclopedia". The column lever cocks simultaneously a bowstring and a wheellock.
    Zmeelink wrote:
    Ivo wrote:Which weapons encyclopedia did you find it in?

The book is W. Boeheim Handbuch der Waffenkunde. Das Waffenwesen in seiner historischen Entwicklung vom Beginn des Mittelalters bis zum Ende des 18 Jahrhunders

Here you find it in Russian http://annals.xlegio.ru/evrope/behaym/behaym.htm

Pavise
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

Post by Pavise Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm

"The Practical Guide to Man-Powered Bullets: Catapults, Crossbows, Blowguns" by Richard Middleton is a good read and full of well illustrated information. ISBN-10: 0-8117-0156-5

Pavise
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 am

Another useful book on crossbow construction is George Stevens' "Crossbows, from 30 years with the weapon" Stevens was an early proponent of modern crossbows in the U. S. and started making crossbows in Arkansas back in the 1930's. His little paperback monograph has some useful drawings and information on modern lock-systems. I would post publication information here, but unfortunately, my tattered copy of Stevens book has gone missing somewhere in the library... I think a thorough explorers' expedition through my shop-desk (necessarily complete with gun-bearers, tents and insect repellant ) might turn it up. If so, I'll post the data... but suffice it to say, this book, like Harmuth's Die Arbrust, is long out of print. Geezer.
    firensword
    firensword
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by firensword Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey all

there is a book on crossbows from when they 1st came to b on use the book is called the devils engine u will find it on the internet it might still b on ebay but not sure but it is on amazon n its not expencive either its realy interestin n it helped me out undertanding it form a re-enactors point of view
    artificer161
    artificer161
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by artificer161 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 am

After reading through these posts I believe I have a book not listed here. Has anyone else seen Polska Bron by Jerzy Werner? It was printed in Poland in 1974 and seems to be a book on some of the arms and armor in the museums and private collections of Poland.

Sadly I do not read or speak The language but the pictures and drawings of crossbows and related equipment, Some of which I have never seen any other place. I have some scans of some of these images if anyone is interested in seeing them.
    basileus
    basileus
    Crossbow Building Wiki
    Founder & Curator
    Crossbow Building WikiFounder & Curator

Post by basileus Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:02 am

Geezer wrote:Another useful book on crossbow construction is George Stevens' "Crossbows, from 30 years with the weapon"

The correct name for the book is "Crossbows: from thirty-five years with the weapon" So it's 35 years, not 30. This typo made searching for this book a little difficult Smile.
    basileus
    basileus
    Crossbow Building Wiki
    Founder & Curator
    Crossbow Building WikiFounder & Curator

Post by basileus Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:17 am

A couple of other useful books:

• Sensfelder, Jens: Crossbows in the Royal Netherlands Army Museum
    • Alm, Josef: European Crossbows (a survey by Josef Alm)
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Crossbow Books Empty 35 years?

Post by Geezer Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm

basileus wrote:
    Geezer wrote:Another useful book on crossbow construction is George Stevens' "Crossbows, from 30 years with the weapon"

The correct name for the book is "Crossbows: from thirty-five years with the weapon" So it's 35 years, not 30. This typo made searching for this book a little difficult Smile.

Oh dear, is it 35 years already? My how time flies when we're having fun. Geezer
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Good Day Ladies and Gents! Sorry for my absence, fear of losing a job due to working slow(fractured hand) kept me in the overtime...Feeling much better and can free some time now that it seems to have healed.

I would like to link to a topic on another forum where you can find some of those hard to find books books you were looking for.

http://forum.arbalet.info/viewtopic.php?t=8049

You might need to use a translator to get around those pages, you can use your own or simply open up a new tab/window and just throw it in the one we have on the side of the page.

Also some of these books are in different languages, so if you don't speak it you might want to run the files to some OCC programs like ABBYY Fine Reader and then drop it into the translator. Have fun! Crossbow Books Icon_smile

PS: Big Thanks to MR. SAM, Igora, and others for their contributions.
    jopsa
    jopsa
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jopsa Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm

The best book in the world about crossbows history in my opinion is "Die Armbrust" (The crossbow") by Egon Harmuth.
    I have scans in my computer too; if forum rules allowed - I can send scans by e-mail. Sorry, German language version - but a lot very interesting pictures.
    regards - Robert
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:28 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the book is now out of print and all that's left in question is the copyright. If that copyright has expired then we can go and freely distributing the book in our group...guess it's worth having a look at. Wink

Ivo
    jopsa
    jopsa
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jopsa Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm sure - the copyright has not expired. For this reason is not allowed public distribution, especially selling . But is allowed private transfer to one person, without payment. So, if You want I can send on Your private mail.
    Robert
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am

Yeh, we're probably not going to be able to post a download link on the forum...our host doesn't allow that. pale

However... on occasion I hang out at the Russian forum and they were so kind as to upload some of the books(including Die Armbrust) in PDF. Much smaller than scans and still grat quality, so check it out...I think Mr. SAM also uploaded a really nice Polish crossbow book,so definitely take a look through the those pages. Smile

http://forum.arbalet.info/viewtopic.php?t=8049
    jopsa
    jopsa
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jopsa Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks! Russian forum is great!! Well, they learned Russian...
    Большое спасибо!

Wallace Collection online - crossbows:
    http://tiny.pl/hcbjt
    blades7558
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Crossbow Books Empty good crossbow building book?

Post by blades7558 Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:15 pm

I have all the traditional bowyers bibles in my collection and I'd like to add some crossbow references.

any suggestions? I would prefer if I could get them off of amazon. thanks!
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:58 pm

The four volumes of the TBB don't I think cover crossbows at all, but there is a wealth of info...but you knew that Smile A standard reference is Ralph Payne-Gallwey's The Book of the Crossbow. Dover had a reprint for 22 bucks. Others will chime in on other books, no doubt. But that is a volume you need. Ignore the nonesense on seige engines, however. Ralph tended to make up stuff if he didn't know. Smile
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:31 am

At first I was wondered why there isn't any list of useful crossbow books on this forum. But there is, maybe just not in a first place you'd be looking at..

https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t27-crossbow-books
    stratboy
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by stratboy Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:13 am

There are only 3 books printed that are worth anything Sir Ralph Payne Gallwey book of the crossbow and European crossbows a Survey by Josef alm I got my book from the tower of london you can try amazon in the UK and the last book is Die Armbrust Printed in Germabn There is one copy on amazon for 300.00 used very hard to find all other books are worthless hope this helps
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Geezer here, concerning crossbow books. One of the best books you can find for general medieval crossbow info is. William Paterson's "A Guide to the Crossbow" published by Society of Archer Antiquaries, and available from the Manchester University Museum in England. Go to their web page... go to archery collection, down load the mail-order list. Find Paterson... it's less than ten pounds.
    This little jewel is 100 pages chock-full of excellent information, and for most of us mono-glots, it's written in English. Order it for yourself for Xmas. You'll be very happy!
    Geezer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am