The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

[solved]New to Community and Crossbows

SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

[solved]New to Community and Crossbows Empty [solved]New to Community and Crossbows

Post by SWScott Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Arbalest Guild,
    I'm not 100% sure that I should even join this forum, as I don't make or shoot crossbows, but I would like to do the latter, for fun. The problem is, after searching through the internet and finding medieval arbalest vendors, I can't seem to find anything else about this hobby (other than history, which is actually pretty cool). How does one get into something like this? Would the SCA be a good place to contact? Is there a broad list of societies or guilds (such as fencing clubs) that might be able to help me get into a hobby like this? I would buy something and practice on my own, but not having a place to shoot it or even knowing how to maintain and care for it, I'm a little hesitant. I apologize if the question is redundant or ill-informed, but I have little knowledge of archery in general, much less crossbows.
    It's a great forum, and I really enjoy reading all of the informative posts.
    Scott
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

[solved]New to Community and Crossbows Empty Re: [solved]New to Community and Crossbows

Post by Basilisk120 Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions, we all had to start somewhere. I haven't been doing the this for too long so I can sympathize with the whole being new thing.
    As for how to start. The SCA may not be a bad place to start. I'm in the SCA so I'm a little biased. Very Happy
    A good place to start on historical crossbow: http://crossbows.net/ifboc.php on the New World Arbalest site. Master Iolo post on this site as Geezer and he is more than willing to help you as is his apprentice Lightly.

So welcome and get those questions rolling. Cool
    SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

[solved]New to Community and Crossbows Empty Re: [solved]New to Community and Crossbows

Post by SWScott Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you, I appreciate the input. These might be a couple of ignorant and/or stupid questions, but are crossbow bolts subject to archer's paradox like arrows from a longbow are? Also, do you know if there are specific organizations within the SCA that deal with crossbow usage?

Thanks again,

Scott
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:13 pm

SWScott wrote: are crossbow bolts subject to archer's paradox like arrows from a longbow are?

Scott

Scot,

They are not. Crossbows are fundamentally "center shot" bows. The bolt does not need to snake past anything, and thus be as stiff as..." well as stiff as you please sir". To put it another way; there is no need to worry about "spine" in crossbow bolts.

Mac
    SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SWScott Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks Mac. If I want some sort of instruction on shooting and maintenance, would I be better off buying a modern crossbow from an archery shop, where I assume they will teach me some of this, or just going straight to a medieval style bow, which I would rather do, and trying to learn myself? I am, unfortunately, ignorant of all things crossbow related, although I really want to learn.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 pm

I would go straight to the Medieval style crossbow. There are plenty of video online and I believe on this site that can help demonstrate technique for using the crossbow. I'll be more than happy to walk you through setting up and using the crossbow. So unless there is some reason you want the modern crossbow use the money to get the bow you want.

Depending on the bow shop, the guy behind the counter may not able to help you out with more than the basics.

As for bolt spine. The actual spine weight isn't really important, most bolts are short enough to be quite stiff but have similar spine weights may help with tuning when your worried about getting a 1" group versus 1.5". I'm talking about ball park close, purchased shaft close not matched set close.
    SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SWScott Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks Basilisk, although, after doing some more research, I think I want both a modern and a medieval crossbow. I'm just not sure which to get first... are they that dissimilar, I mean, can you learn to shoot both at roughly the same time? Are most archery ranges friendly towards crossbows? I only ask because I live in an apartment, and don't have a lot of land to practice on.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 am

Getting both sounds like a great plan as well Very Happy
    The real important concepts are the same: proper repeatable form, trigger control, keeping the prod level. that sort of thing. There seems to be a certain mentality that tranlates well to all form of target practice.

The range I shoot at is friendly towards crossbows as they sell them. It would seem to be a good idea to check out several different ranges before hand to see what there rules and if you like the people at the range/store.
    SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SWScott Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks Basilisk, unfortunatley, I might have hit a road block in my pursuit of Crossbows. I've been visiting shops / ranges, and I have yet to find an archery range near me that will allow the use of a crossbow in my area; I live in Buffalo Grove, IL, so if anyone knows of a range in the Chicagoland or North Suburbs (i'm willing to drive a long way to learn) that does allow the use of a crossbow, I would be in your debt. I don't have land, so that's not really an option for me at the moment.
    SWScott
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by SWScott Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Speak of the devil and he will appear; I just found a place to shoot. Smile I am beside myself with joy; now to start acquiring some crossbows.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Hello SWScott,

That's not a road block, that's just the reality of the archery world. Laughing

Crossbows and Bows seem to have been on opposite ends starting from the days of old...and it's still echoing to the present day. Some ranges are simply biased and leaning towards vertical bows "only", however others are more flexible, but still don't allow crossbows for the following reason:

Most crossbows will turn their targets into mush - A way to counter that is to buy or make your own crossbow target and bring it to the range with you.

Give your search another round and this time mention that you may bring your own target to practice with...if they are still dicks to you, then there is little you can do to persuade them...move on to the next one.

Also there are always farmers who you can ask if they can let you do some target practice on their land(with your own target obviously and with respect to the surroundings)

Hope this helps a bit,

Ivo

[EDIT] I was typing up the message while you posted....Good to hear you're all set with the range. Smile

Since it looks like the questions are resolved I'm marking this topic Solved + Locked

You are welcome to continue the discussions in the "Fun at the Range" category.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm