The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by kenh Wed May 29, 2024 1:36 pm

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

+6
Troodontid
mac
Ivo
8fingers
Basilisk120
Todd the archer
10 posters

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development)

Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Empty Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development)

Post by Todd the archer Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey guys and/or gals I have been playing around with the idea of making a medieval crossbow kit. It would be all roughed in with the nut and trigger etc., in fact it would be shootable upon assembly. The stock would be cut out in profile only and would need to be shaped and finished. This would be complete with nothing needed to buy.

What I am looking for is someone to finish one of these and to take some pics to showcase the finish product. Ideally I would like someone to to show the full potential of what can be done with this kit. For example: inlays, carving.

Well what do you all think, anyone interested?
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Empty Re: Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development)

Post by Basilisk120 Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 am

I think this sounds like a great product. There are a number of U-Finish longbows for sale and they seem to be selling well. I know a number of people who would like to get into crossbow shooting and have talked about building one and I think they would love a kit crossbow.

If you looking for testers or need some help, just let me know what I can do to help.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Empty Re: Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development)

Post by Todd the archer Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks Basilisk 120, yes I am looking for a tester. Here is what I got so far:
    Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Crossbowkit030
    Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Crossbowkit028
    Later I will try to post a pic of the conponents.

Todd
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

looks like a good kit bow. A great canvas for creating something really neat looking.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

I just took the "kit" out and shot it thru the chronagraph.

The specs: 95 pound draw weight @ 8" power stroke (fiberglass prod)

281 grain bolt shot 179 fps

435 grain bolt shot 150 fps

Not too shabby for a light weight.

Todd

Last edited by Todd the archer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Here is a pic of the kit broken down:
    Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Components005
    Includes:

stock

prod with string

trigger with axle pin

nut with steel sear insert

nut side plate

filler block for trigger slot

bolt clip with screws

stirrup with bolts

wood wedges for prod

I am considering leaving the end of the stock long and uncut for different prod options. Would like input for any other ideas.

Todd
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Well you need different options for people to choice from. So one version with the prod and the end cut and another version without the prod and without the mounting hole.

That should be easy enough to start with.

Sounds like its a nice shooter.
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by 8fingers Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 am

Looks like a nice kit. I'd like to take it on but I'm calling myself 8fingers for a good reason and I'm not healed up yet. I know an experienced builder ( retired shop teacher more than 70 crossbows on Alchem plans) in Alberta that could give you good feedback on how newby friendly it is.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 am

Hi 8fingers, you could call me 9 fingers. Hope you are healing well. Send me a message if you want to talk about anything. Yes, I would appriciate as much feed back as possible from novices to experts.

Todd
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Post by 8fingers Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Talked to the experienced builder and he says he is to busy to take on anymore. We have some tinkerers up here that get things done. I'll talk to them next. We use lots of crossbows in our SCA games and never have enough.
    Hope to be back to work in about a week, but I'm still sore, very stiff. More ballistas next.

Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Todd,

Very nice kit man! Smile

The stirrup is kind of a brute, but that is the sturdiest design I've seen mounted to a wooden stock, in fact I think Robin Allan used that same exact "two bolts through" to mount his stirrups.

As for a lighter stirrup, how about this?

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru10Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru11Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru12

It's not precise stuff, but merely a concept. The two wood screws can be placed farther apart and go into the stock in front of and behind the prod center. That might be a good reinforcement for those wanting to build thinner stocks. Also I think I've seen the clip that holds the stirrup, sold at homedepot, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think.

Ivo

PS: I tried bending a rod in a vise a few time trying to get a stirrup
    shape, but with not much luck...always landed in the wrong plane.Then
    copied this guys setup...haha Twisted Evil ...havent been on that site in a long time- really cool place.
    http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/make_board_edge_clamps/index.htm

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) 19053

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) 19054
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Ivo wrote:

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru10Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru11Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Stirru12

That's a clever idea, but I think those screws are way to close to the end of the tiller. I see it splitting out at an inopportune moment and sending the butt of the tiller into your nose!

A longer bracket would help a lot by leaving more wood to bear the stress.

Mac
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

There is a fair bit of interest in my local SCA group about an affordable crowbow kit. When your ready for some testers or have some to sell let me know and we can get some people lined up.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

mac wrote:
    Ivo wrote:

That's a clever idea, but I think those screws are way to close to the end of the tiller. I see it splitting out at an inopportune moment and sending the butt of the tiller into your nose!

A longer bracket would help a lot by leaving more wood to bear the stress.

Mac

Its a clever idea but I think Mac is right about it pulling out since it has to deal with considerable amount of shear stress and a likely bending moment.
    That and I believe the stirrup is helping to hold the prod in place, or at least that how it looks in the picture.

Last edited by Basilisk120 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I grammer no good)
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Here is a pic of my other stirrup design:
    Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) DSCF1426
    But I think I like my newer method better. It is a little simpler plus the ends of the stirrup clamp down on a pair of wedges that holds the prod in place.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Yep...that's where I got the idea from. Just pictured the prod in between the two screws and sketched it up...though drew it a bit wrong and only realized it as I was typing up a post. So Mac, Basilisk, totally agree with you guys.

Todd,
    I kinda missed the stirrup's clamping action on the wedges at first, but now that you mentioned it...that is a very nice and more importantly... logical approach. Smile
    Troodontid
    Troodontid
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Troodontid Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am

A crossbow kit...why hasn't this been done sooner? It's one of the best ideas I've ever read. I'd buy one if it was a reasonable price.

Is the nut made of wood too? It certainly looks like it in the picture.
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Post by 8fingers Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 am

Why not mount the stirrup to the binding block and lash it on with the prod?
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:53 am

Personally I have had some trouble with bindings loosing up. Still looking for and trying different materials that will hold up and stay tight. The wedge system, while not the most common method, holds very tighty and was used in the past in various forms although not exactly the way I employ it.

Todd
    Archer46176
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Archer46176 Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 am

Hmmm I know I am the new guy here but if you are still looking for someone to take this on let me know the pariculars as far as cost,time frame, etc... I could see some really nice ergo curves on the tiller...
    PAUL(INDIANA)
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 am

Geezer here: I have tried twice to comment on tying in prods, only to have this damned interface eat my posts. So I will try again, very briefly.
    1. Make the prod-socket fit the prod tightly.
    2. use lots of stout cord... preferably hemp or flax
    3. Make the hole for the cord 'D' shaped and round off the flat of the 'D' so it doesn't cut the cord.
    4. Lay down the cord skeins very carefully, with as little piling-up as possible... a pile of cord will shift over time, loosening the binding.
    5. No matter what you do, bound-in stirrups will work loose.
    6. medieval crossbowmakers covered the bridle-cord with some sort of waterproof preservative... I suspect it's pitch, like the stuff used to waterproof drinking vessels.
    That'll have to do for now. Have fun stormin' da castle. Geezer
    Mr. Apol
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Mr. Apol Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello,

I'm new here but I am interested in a medieval crossbow kit. I just finished my Scorpion Mark 3 (a ballista) and I would love to try a crossbow kit.

Paul in North Carolina
    manuel salazar
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Looking for someone who wants to build a crossbow (Crossbow kit development) Empty CROSSBOW CONSTRUCTION

Post by manuel salazar Mon May 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Todd the archer wrote:Hey guys and/or gals I have been playing around with the idea of making a medieval crossbow kit. It would be all roughed in with the nut and trigger etc., in fact it would be shootable upon assembly. The stock would be cut out in profile only and would need to be shaped and finished. This would be complete with nothing needed to buy.

What I am looking for is someone to finish one of these and to take some pics to showcase the finish product. Ideally I would like someone to to show the full potential of what can be done with this kit. For example: inlays, carving.

Well what do you all think, anyone interested?
    It seems that we are al the same track, unfotunatelly not at the same time. A few months ago I bagan thinking on how to make a crossbow myself and I already made two, one with a modern mechanismus, (that I don't like) and the second resembling a medieval crossbow, with nut mechanismus. I am making my third one on the same style, however I would like to contact someone to interchange of ideas and suggestions.
    I am writing from Guadalajara, Mexico, my name is Manuel Salazar; e-mail: msalazar2310@hotmail.com, cel pone is (52) 33 1040 0438. Please contact me, it Works very well with whatsapp.
    Manuel
    manuel salazar
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by manuel salazar Sat May 30, 2015 7:10 am

Are you still making the kits?, if so, on what draw weights?

Manuel Salazar
    Guadalajara

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:53 pm