The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by kenh Wed May 29, 2024 1:36 pm

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

3 posters

Roller Nut design / reinforcement.

Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

roller nut constuction - Roller Nut design / reinforcement.   Empty Roller Nut design / reinforcement.

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:18 pm

I have a question about the design of the roller nuts in particular how the trigger/nut junction is reinforced.
    I know of two styles of reinforcement; adding a metal plate or a treaded insert, and I was wondering about the differences. Does one provided more wear resistance, lasts longer than the other? Does one style provide a smoother release? Is it possible to replace the metal bits in the roller nut?
    Examples:
    1. The steel plate.
    roller nut constuction - Roller Nut design / reinforcement.   2011-06-20212006

2. The Treaded rod
    roller nut constuction - Roller Nut design / reinforcement.   2011-06-20212052
    Sorry for the hazy pic but is should be sufficent.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

roller nut constuction - Roller Nut design / reinforcement.   Empty Re: Roller Nut design / reinforcement.

Post by Todd the archer Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey that top one looks familiar. I came up with that method on my own, seems logical consider the directional strength of wood. The other method does seem more common though and probalbly easier to change out. Not sure how well that would work out on a wooden roller nut.

Todd
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

roller nut constuction - Roller Nut design / reinforcement.   Empty Re: Roller Nut design / reinforcement.

Post by Geezer Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:54 am

Geezer here, concerning sears for roller-nuts. When I started making crossbows, most of my rollers were made of rock-maple, and fitted with a slotted plate-sear, much like the one shown above. They're surprisingly durable, though occasionally a roller will split along the axis of the plate. The down-side is that they occasionally come adrift and score the nut-socket. And of course, they're a lot of trouble to replace.
    Medieval and Renaissance bone rollers usually employed a block-sear, something like a truncated pyramid or wedge, with a little spud on the top that usually shows between the lugs of the nut.
    I tried glue-in sears of mild steel round bar... flattened off on the bottom, to take the distal end of the tickler. Those work well enough, if you can get them in straight to begin with. Eventually I hit on using all-thread rod, with a flat and screwdriver slot cut in the bottom. I drill and tap a hole for the threaded sear and simply screw it in place. On rare occasions, I put some glue on the threads, but usually I leave it alone.
    Threaded sears can be removed for repair or replacement. Usually I use plain allthread for sears, but Some very strong bows get the stainless allthread. Stainless is harder, more wear-resistant, but of course that means the end of your tickler wears more instead. Generally, repairing a worn trigger is a lot more trouble than replacing a sear.
    Now that I have a mortising machine to make life easier, I have considered mortising a square hole in the bottom of the roller-nut and putting in a solid block of steel for a sear. One could drill into the block from the side to mount a set-screw to hold the block in place. So it could be removed for replacement or repair. That would potentially allow a much more substantial sear than is convenient with 5/16 or 3/8 inch allthread that I usually use.
    Just thinking out loud. Geezer
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks Geezer, I was definatly interested in the why of the different concepts.
    So your saying the sear is a part that is expected to wear out and be replaced?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 am

Wear is an inevitable consequence of use. The trick is to arrange things so the wear happens where it's easiest to fix. On some strong bows, I prefer to use the stainless steel allthread, but that stuff is much harder. So what happens? The end of the tickler wears instead. Removing a screw-in sear is much easier than re-shaping and surfacing the end of the tickler, so unless I expect the sear-wear to be exceptionally fast, I'd rather replace it it need than re-work the trigger. As an added bonus, my customer can simply send the roller-nut in for repair, rather than ship the entire bow.
    In medieval times, materials were expensive and labor was cheap. Today materials are cheap and labor is expensive. Screws were doubly expensive, since they required materials AND expert labor to manufacture. Thus Medieval bows were usually assembled with rivets, which are an absolute booger to remove if anything goes wrong.
    I use screws to make assembly/disassembly easier, though in fact, they are very rare on medieval bows. Occasionally you see a big round-head or oval-head screw holding the bolt clip in place. I've also seen a few on cranequins. Otherwise, it's always a rivet. So if you wanna make your bows absolutely authentic, use rivets. If you want easy assembly/disassembly, use screws, but that's a business decision rather than an authenticity decision.
    Geezer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:47 am