The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow)

Baskethilt
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) Empty Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow)

Post by Baskethilt Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

I would like to build what I think I have seen termed a "fat German".

The one I really like can be viewed on the Swedish site at http://armborst.forum24.se/armborst-about103.html under the name "harvslak".

Trouble is, it's all very well trying to work off an oblique view photo, but there is nothing, like good front elevation and plan views, not to mention some dimensions to be able to construct an accurate reproduction.

Does anyone have any drawings or other photos, or do you all just start with a photo and come up with an "interpretation" of it?

Regards
    Baskethilt

Last edited by Ivo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Title)
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) Empty Re: Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow)

Post by Todd the archer Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:28 pm

I personally started with the plan from Alchem. Then used artistic license from there. Of course I do not try to duplicate merely follow the style. I do not think I ever used any hard numbers, the originals probally did not either.

Todd
    Baskethilt
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) Empty Re: Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow)

Post by Baskethilt Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for that Todd. It is as I thought, we have to just make the best we can from whats available.
    That's good cos I can blend some features from various other similar bows and not be too worried.
    We don't have any competitions down here for "most authentic reproductions" or anything like that so no-one is really going to know.
    Maybe one day I might get back to Europe and look carefully at the museum exhibits.

Baskethilt
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

Baskethilt: Geezer here with some measurements. The 'fat german bows' that I label 5B in my catalog are indeed short and fat. Typical stock length: 23-25 inches. width of stock at lock, @ 2.5 inches and the same in height. (65-70 mm) Note that the roller-nut will be perhaps an inch and a quarter wide (say 3 mm) but you'll only see a quarter-inch or so of flat outside the nut. So the side of the stock has a lot of barrel-shaping. In cross section, the stock will be flat on top, maybe flat on bottom, and very round on the sides (some are actually octagonal)
    The head of the stock will be closer to 3 inches high (76 mm) and about an inch and three-quarters wide (@ 45-50 mm).. tapering out to full width at the lock and tapering again, rather abruptly, as you go back toward the tail. Most of these bows have a cheek-piece that goes out as wide as the lock... so you can probably cut it all at one time. Otherwise, just add a piece of contrasting wood to make the cheek-piece and it will look grand
    Draw lengths: Most of these bows have a fairly high brace-height for the string, particularly in steel bows. Expect 4 or even 5 inches of brace (100-125 mm) and 5 to 6 inches of actual power-stroke (125 to 150mm) That should put you in the right ballpark.
    Wood choices? Medieval bowyers used whatever hardwoods... usually fruit or nut-woods were available locally for stocks. I have seen oak, walnut, elm, maple, pear, and apple. Others are certainly possible. Make sure the grain runs more or less top to bottom of the stock, rather than side-to-slide.
    Hope this helps. Good building. Geezer..
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am

Urrrk! The roller nut will be @ 30 mm wide, not three. Geezer
    Baskethilt
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Baskethilt Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks Geezer. That makes interpreting the photos easier.

I made up a dummy in scrap timber last weekend just to see what the issues were and I cant work out how they mounted them to shoot. Is it supposed to rest on top of the shoulder or in the shoulder like a modern rifle? The false tickler/trigger guard appears to come too far back to make a top of shoulder mount practical so assume it fits into the shoulder

The whole thing seems very awkward. Its a wonder they were able to hit much with them.
    Baskethilt
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:49 pm

The longer stocks were sometimes shot atop the shoulder, but short-fat German sporting bows are shot 'freehand'. The butt of the stock lies alongside the cheek, it doesn't rest against or atop the shoulder. This may seem silly, but remember that the projectile velocities are only about 200 fps. For shooting at longer ranges, the shooter aims over the arrow-point, then lowers the butt of the stock (since it's free of the body) until elevation is sufficient. You can't elevate a gun that's shot from the shoulder nearly so far before you lose sight of the target.
    I've been shooting medieval-style crossbows for about 30 years, and yes, I can sorta hit the target freehand at shorter ranges, but in fact, I brace the butt of my target bow (one of the longer ones) on top of my clavicle, against the trapezius muscle.
    Does that help?
    Baskethilt
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Baskethilt Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:56 pm

It does help, thanks Geezer. Makes more sense now.
    I have just checked the dimensions on my mock up tiller against your measurements and I am surprisingly close in all respects. Just need a bit more "barrel" around the lock. It proves that close study of the museum photos and a pair of dividers works wonders.
    Thanks again.
    Baskethilt
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi Baskethilt,

So you are interested in building the little German crossbow *like in the forum header*?

A guy by the name of Mr. SAM that used to hang out with us in the very early days of this forum, drew up a few schematics. One of them was of a little German Sporting bow. Smile

Since we are long ways from building crossbows that are authentic to boot, I think this should do pretty well as a guideline.

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 28019110

Also since we are talking about that bow, it's worth noting that the trigger was different from what we see on most bows.
    Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 57193310

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 85660910

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 19358910

Reason for such complexity is very short powerstroke and in those days they increased the power of the bow by increasing draw weight. All the weight of the bow was brought to bear on the sear and the trigger mechanism had to be unloaded to function. So there you have it, lots and lots of additional parts were needed to shoot the bow and a cranequin to span it. Smile

There are quite a few variations of the trigger as you can see and since it's a set trigger, several of the components need to be reset with a special tool prior to spanning. You can see the tool in the picture below, as well as the pathways for it's insertion.

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 036h10

Medieval Tiller Plans (German Sporting bow) 100_6210

Is this what you were looking for?

Ivo

PS: Please turn off "Caps-Lock"...when you type in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS,
    it's considered "yelling" on forums and other online social networks.
    Enjoy your stay. Smile

Last edited by Ivo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Baskethilt
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Baskethilt Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Ivo. I have a copy of that drawing and was using it as a guide. I have stumbled upon picture of that very Xbow in a museum exhibit. I can send you a copy of the photo if you haven't already seen it, but not sure whether I can find the web link for it.

The trigger mechanisms are interesting but look like a pain in the a.. to reset before shooting each time. There must be a better more modern way. Then again maybe there isn't; you guys will know.

Baskethilt

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm