The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

New member from California

John Edgerton
    John Edgerton
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

New member from California Empty New member from California

Post by John Edgerton Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm

I am John Edgerton from Newark,California (San Fransisco Bay Area). I have made a few medieval style target crossbows and some combat crossbows for the "Society for Creative Anachronism" (SCA), where I am known as Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.

I am interested in learning more about medieval style crossbow construction. At the moment I would like to know if anyone has had experience with using "power-Tuff" for prods. I will be starting on a batch of light draw crossbows for use in combat in the SCA and am considering using "Power-Tuff" for the prods.

I am hoping to learn more from the experienced members here.

John
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

New member from California Empty Re: New member from California

Post by Ivo Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello John and Welcome!

I've heard about SCA and have spoken with a few memebrs who speak very highly of this organization and it's member's skills in making medieval weapons and armour.

I have not been able to come up with any results for "Power-Tuff", so I'll be interested in hearing more about it too. I plan on building my crossbow limbs by pressing solid fiberglass limbs or laminated wood/fiberglass composites. We are currently discussing a few ideas on the subject here : "Pressing All-fiberglass crossbow limbs" ..Ii'm sure such limbs can be easily made to the desired draw weight and then easily disguised as the legit stuff.

Good to have you John and I hope you wasily find what you are seeking. Good Luck!

Good Day,

Ivo
    John Edgerton
    John Edgerton
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by John Edgerton Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Greetings Ivo

"Power-Tuff" is made by Gordon Composites and is used for many of the modern compound bow limbs and some modern crossbows. The below is from their site,

"A continuous unidirectional “E” fiberglass combined with a 50/50 woven fiberglass inlay that has high strength and stiffness along the longitudinal (0) axis and provides cross strength (90 degrees to the longitudinal axis). GC-70-ULS is manufactured with a proprietary pulforming process in which all glass fibers are pretensioned and aligned during the impregnation and curing process."

When I used some of it before, I covered the finished prod with thin leather to disguise the fiberglass.

In the future I hope to be able to make some laminated prods for my target bows.

Thank you

Jon

Ivo wrote:Hello John and Welcome!

I've heard about SCA and have spoken with a few memebrs who speak very highly of this organization and it's member's skills in making medieval weapons and armour.

I have not been able to come up with any results for "Power-Tuff", so I'll be interested in hearing more about it too. I plan on building my crossbow limbs by pressing solid fiberglass limbs or laminated wood/fiberglass composites. We are currently discussing a few ideas on the subject here : "Pressing All-fiberglass crossbow limbs" ..Ii'm sure such limbs can be easily made to the desired draw weight and then easily disguised as the legit stuff.

Good to have you John and I hope you wasily find what you are seeking. Good Luck!

Good Day,

Ivo
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Oh ok... I know what this is then 🐰

I have some unidirectional pre-pregs as well...I have a few forms set up and waiting for the day I finish my little brothers crossbow.

The reason we omitted this method is because most of the users I spoke with couldn't find this material in their countries and had to devise a more affordable yet just as effective solution where fiberglass strands from dismantling a fiberglass cloth and fiberglass resin were used to make limbs. The benefits of all-fiberglass limbs is that they are easier to calculate the proper tiller as well as they can be made shorter...more powerfull...and at the same time still very flexible. tongue

I haven't been on GC website in a long time, so I don't remember all the types of Uni-D laminations they have, but from what I can tell Powertuff is both good in stretching and serving as a good backing material combined with the moderately good impact resistance of the 90/90 weave...just my guesses. pirat ...Living in USA we should have no problem in making such laminates...here is a website that has helped me understand a few things about pressing laminated crossbow limbs:

http://www.thecrossbowmansden.com/Hints_%26_Tips/Archive.html

The credit bringing of this information to public eye goes to Master Robin Allen. Unfortunately Robin is very ill at the moment and will not be able to answer any questions. I hope he recovers soon.

Ivo
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Welcome, John.

Master Iolo and I also make bows for the SCA (I am his apprentice) I am quite new to the SCA, having come there just this year, and joined because I make the bows, ad not vice versa!
    Went to Pennsic for the first time this year, stayed with Darkwood Armory, and had a good time. I've been making a few 'pistol' bows, that I have modeled after ancient Chinese Han bows. They were not allowed for combat, as I was told the pistol grip was too modern! I quickly gathered up my research, and proof, and they are being considered.
    http://www.crossbows.net/stock.php (second photo)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/swifthoundbows/sets/72157616874140257/
    I think these might be good combat bows, as they are, from the lock forward, exactly like other bows, but, are simply shorter, and with the grip. Easy to hold.

May we see some of your photos of bows that you have made?

Take care;
    Lightly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 am