The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
stoneagebowyer
Frode
6 posters

Protecting the string on a steel prod

Frode
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Protecting the string on a steel prod Empty Protecting the string on a steel prod

Post by Frode Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello all,
    I've been away from building for a bit, but getting ready to jump right in on two more, one for me, like Mark II, with a wood and glass Elk Ridge prod, and the other a request, my first go at a steel prod (from Alchem).

Here's my question. Do I need to provide some sort of separation between the steel nocks and the served loops of the string, to prevent cutting the strings? I've been digging through the posts, thinking I'd seen something about this, a layer of leather, or some such, but I can't seem to locate it.

Apologies if it's right there in front of me, but I don't see it. I'm concerned that the edges of the nocks are going to wear on the strings, being constantly braced.
    Thanks for your help,
    Frode
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Protecting the string on a steel prod Empty Re: Protecting the string on a steel prod

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Frode, good to see refugees from PA like myself over here Smile

I protected the eyes of my string for the recently completed German crossbow with waxed linen thread serving. It wasn't hard to do, and seems to be more than enough protection to keep the string from wearing out prematurely. The method I used was coxcomb macreme knots, and went quickly.

The Book of the Crossbow (the Dover reprint) has a method of serving the eyes, too. Also, knot books like the Ashely Book of Knots have great ideas in them.

I am not sure how they did this in the 15th century, so someone like Geezer will probably chime in.

Dane
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Protecting the string on a steel prod Empty Re: Protecting the string on a steel prod

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 pm

I reread your post, and I think you were saying additional material between the already served eyes and the steel prod nocks. I doubt it will be an issue, but I am still a bit new to this world of arbalists. Others will chime in. I do know there seems to be no significant wear on the aforementioned German bow, but I've put only 100 or so bolts through it so far.
    Frode
    Techno Weeny

Post by Frode Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey Dane,
    Good to hear from you, too! Yeah, a lot of new things for me, too. The notion of leaving it braced still seems odd. Plus, it's a lot more stress than I've been able to get on one of my wood PA bows. Gives me visions of hearing the big bang!
    Do you have any pictures of those macramé knots, by chance?
    Frode
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 pm

I haven't had an issue with the steel prod when its just sitting braced. I did have a small issue with wearing through the eye serving quicker than I would like from shooting the bow. So the best solution I found was before putting on the new string taking some fine grit (800+) sandpaper and make sure the nocks were nice and smooth and everything was nice and round.

I think part of the issue was that there was a sharp bend on the back side of the nocks that I had to round out. Took two attempts but everything is now supper smooth and much cleaner lines. And so far no issues with it cutting the string. Which I like because I don't like making new strings.
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:53 am

I know what you mean about leaving the bow braced for longer than just after shooting, as with wooden bows. The demon set (sounds kinda Egyptian) is not as much of an issue in the arbalist world, and that is a good thing. I can't say I miss those fibers all that much.

If I don't have pics of the knotting process, I will take a few for you, but that will have to wait until the weekend. It is really simple.

Dane
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 am

Here is what I did with my prod after experiencing premature string wear, but I still have not gotten aroung to making a new string yet to see how well it works.

Protecting the string on a steel prod Nocks002

Todd
    Frode
    Techno Weeny

Post by Frode Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks Basilisk and Todd,
    Same for me Basilisk, I always put off strings, and arrows, till the last possible moment.
    Todd, that looks good to me! I'll have to see what this prod looks like when it comes in, but I imagine I'll do what you've shown here, which looks like what Basilisk was describing.
    Thanks,
    Frode
    8fingers
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by 8fingers Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 am

For coxcombing, all I do is a series of half hitches.I use an 'egg eyed darning needle' on the end of my serving string. The needles are sold for $1- pack at my local dollar store. I have seen a wear leather stuck on the ends of a prod to protect the string and heat shrink tubing, the stuff you use instead of electrical tape also used.
    stratboy
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by stratboy Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Hello, It's looking good the way I do all my steel prods is with a piece of deer leather over the end and then I tie it on with sinew Have fun
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:36 am

Todd- Thanks for the picture. My nocks look a lot like that after I have filed and sanded them.

Stratboy- the deer leather sounds like a good idea too and done right it could look nice as well. I have a friend that does something similiar with a piece of felt on a recurve that keeps cutting strings

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 am