The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+3
Ivo
Geezer
Frode
7 posters

I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Frode
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

I don't think this is supposed to happen... Empty I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Post by Frode Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I was testing the new Alchem prod bow this evening, and this happened. I pulled the string and it popped back, but the brace seemed a bit lower. On the next shot the string broke at one of the loops. The marshal, a crossbow man himself, hadn't seen one do this before. Any thoughts?
    Frode

I don't think this is supposed to happen... 0215121945
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

I don't think this is supposed to happen... Empty Re: I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Post by Geezer Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:11 pm

No, that's not supposed to happen, but strings do fail occasionally, even new strings. Sometimes bows built with too much down-pressure on the string (frinstance, those with prod mounted too low in the stock) will roll the string off the top of the stock. Once you get it into the position illustrated in your photo, there's a good chance the eye-loop is already compromised. Once you break one strand in your string it's toast. Geezer
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

I don't think this is supposed to happen... Empty Re: I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Post by Ivo Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Wow...that's wicked! Shocked

You sure that's a 90# prod there?

I remember there was a topic where someone had an issue following a similar pattern...only not as extreme. If I remember correctly the culprit was low brace height and prod socket angle was too steep...but I could be wrong (my memory is crap when I'm busy in real life). Hope someone can remember a little better.

[Was writing up a post when Geezer beat me to it, still need to go look for the topic though Smile ]

Ivo
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 pm

What did you have it braced at? I believe alchem recomends 3 1/2".

Todd
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 am

That happend to me with my first project, when it was at too low a brace height. It took out the bolt rest in a spectacular fashion, as well. I popped it back, and it was no worse for wear.

Dane
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 am

Frode,

One way or another, the loop of the string got over the upper shoulder of the nock. As Geezer says, the geometry of the prod-stock-string system may be at fault. This can also happen if the upper shoulders of the nocks are too small, or not sufficiently square. It can be exacerbated by having too big of a loop on the string.

The time to check these thing out is when the bow is strung. Look for any tendency for the loop to want to get over the upper shoulder of the nock.

Looking at your pics from the "stringing" thread, I am inclined to agree with Dane about the brace height. Low brace height can make dodgy geometry turn into an "incident". Raising the brace height would probably have kept this from happening. On the other hand, you don't want to take that too far. That prod has quite a bit of recurve, and no deflex. If you brace it too high, you will be bringing the limbs closer to their elastic limits when fully drawn. At some point you will start significantly reducing the number of loading cycles the prod will endure.

That the string did not survive the ordeal is not that surprising. A string is under its greatest tension when at brace. (this is counter intuitive, but apparently true) During the reversal, one of the loops will have been pulled forcible over the unyielding corner of the nock shoulder. Some damage to the strands is likely under these conditions, and as Geezer suggested: that's the "beginning of the end" of the string.

Mac
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 am

Mac always gives great advice, Frode.

Looking at the pics from your stringing thread, the loops seem really large. Did you make that string? They are not terribly hard to make, so you should take the time to learn. I'm transitioning to B50 for my strings, something you will be used to working with as an archer. And making extra strings at will is a nice thing to be able to do. Strings and bolts are consumables in my opinion. I just had muy frst William Tell this morning at my club's indoor range shooting my little Horton Scout. A couple of guys were there and witnessed it, and although it is cool, there goes two more bolts. Smile

Dane
    Frode
    Techno Weeny

Post by Frode Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the response, all!
    Let me see if I can answer everything (and I have some postmortem photos of the stringbelow)...
    Ivo, based on his experience the group crossbow shooter says it's probably more like 110#, in which case the string was probably a bit light.
    Todd, Dane, and Mac, I believe brace was closer to 3". I'm guessing now that a longbow is a little more forgiving of low brace height than a steel prod? I didn't make either of the strings here, but I'm going to start! What do you recommend for serving crossbow strings?
    Dane and Mac, looking at all the loops below, I see that the loops do look large (the all black string came with the prod, and was too long. The yellow and blue string was made on site at an event by a merchant per my request for shorter, and for a 100# prod (I thought I was giving myself a little extra margin, oops!)
    My only other observation, and that of my fellow shooter, is that it kicks like a mule!
    Thanks,
    Frode

I don't think this is supposed to happen... P1010002_44
    I don't think this is supposed to happen... P1010001_46
    I don't think this is supposed to happen... 0216121232
    I don't think this is supposed to happen... 0216121230
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

You know as well as I do what can happen to a wooden bow if the string breaks or it slips off at full draw...not good, generally!

For serving, serving thread you use for archery bow strings I think would work just fine. I have used thick linen thread, heavily waxed, and that works well. Others may have other choices and suggestions.

I dont recall the breaking stength of artificial sinew, but when I was making strings from that material, I was using 100 windings. B50 has a 50# breaking strength, so you are looking at 5000# at 100 windings. I dont think the rule of four (4x draw strength) applies in crossbow archery. As well, the loops I put into my crossbow strings are small on inside diameter, and fit nice and snug up to the little prod shoulders.

Dane
    pacer
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by pacer Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 pm

I'd make sure the metal of the prod wasn't cutting into my string or the problem will just repeat.
    Frode
    Techno Weeny

Post by Frode Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Dane and Pacer,
    The nocks seem OK, pretty smooth in fact, with no sharp edges, but I'll be augmenting them with leather pads.
    Here's a picture of the servings, center and loop. The centers are served with something much heavier, that seems to be coated (waxed?). Hopefully my little camera shows the details enough.
    Frode

I don't think this is supposed to happen... Servings
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 pm

As with vertical archery - you can *feel* the right brace height...or in other words it is not too much nor too little kick.

In crossbows there is another thing that kinda bothers me, but I never get enough patience to sit down and find a way to calculate it properly. Limbs with different mass have different driving force - light limbs of wood or wood/glass laminate accelerate faster, but put a heavy load behind them and they don't perform what so ever. Then take a steel prod - it accelerates slower (thus not so good for lighter projectiles), but at the end of the power stroke *it's got the force of a locomotive*.

So I also believe what Dane believes...crossbow archery is a bit different since we deal with smaller bows, more aggressive forces behind materials with heavier mass moving at high speeds. If I'm not mistaken, Robin Allen once mentioned that with Crossbow prods you need a string that is approximately 5 times the draw weight, but I have also heard arguments of strings having to be as much as 7 times the prod #.

Spoiler:

Ivo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 pm