The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+4
8fingers
Geezer
Todd the archer
Frode
8 posters

String jig, was String and brace, again

Frode
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 Empty String and brace, again

Post by Frode Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, here we go again. After the string break I decided to try making a string jig and string. I want this thing on its feet and shooting, and even my best string source is a week out. Besides, it's one more thing I'll have to do anyway, so why not now. The string is 40 strands of B50 served with twisted nylon serving thread.

This Alchem bow is supposed to be braced at 3 1/2", and after all is said and done, my second string has it braced at 4" plus a skosh. I'm letting it sit overnight to see if it relaxes any, but is this too much brace for this prod? (String number one was loose in spots and, somehow, ended up being 2" too long.)

A few pics follow, of my minimalist string jig, the bow strung, and some leather pads to protect the loops.

As always, any feed back is appreciated!
    Frode

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010003_39
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010004_34
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010005_25
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010008_8
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010010_5
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 Empty Re: String jig, was String and brace, again

Post by Basilisk120 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Ahh that looks familiar, I have seen this problem before. I put a little knot/twist in the servings as I was serving the string and that seemed to help. I did that on all the serving around the nocks and about an inch on each end of the serving on the bow string. Its kind of like the knots on the sinew you used to tighten the cords hold the prod on.

Sorry I don't have pictures, cameras not working. Mad That would make this so much easier to describe. I'll see if I can find another camera and get some pictures.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 Empty Re: String jig, was String and brace, again

Post by Ivo Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Serving is a very interesting topic in my opinion. It's not just to protect the string, there are a couple more interesting uses for it here and there. Reason why it comes in so many different diameters for the same material, but more about that later.

I never really thought about it until now that it's right in my face. My guess is, to avoid such drastic separations in the loop, a thinner serving should be used to get a tighter wrap pattern. This will give less separation in tighter bends that the string is dealing with when thrown over the prod tip. Not sure how you serve the loops closed, but think it's worth mentioning that serving *towards* the loop will help put pressure on the ends of the loop's serving too.

As for the center serving, like in the videos - serving over a stretcher is the cure. I also battled these separations at one time and it's all good now. Smile

Now about the variety of uses. It mainly applies to fine-tuning the center serving and it's relation to the nock of the bolt.
    Since we are dealing with different diameter bolts, different bolt groove dimensions, and different overall string dieters due to different strength prods and string materials - all of this has to be calculated to work properly - so the string contact the bolt dead center (theoretically correct approach, but I've also heard it should be just a tiniest fraction above center, but again - *heard* String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 2860157027 String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 874442478 ) Now to fine tune this contact point is where different serving diameters come into play. A thicker serving would give one a string with that sits higher on the track and is used to adjust the string center to bolt nock center contact if the string contacts it too low. Same for the smaller diameter serving - which brings the string lower as opposed to the thicker one.

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 Center10

...kinda like that, but that's match grade stuff. Still, it's something to throw something on the forum...if it comes in handy in the process, all the better. Wink

Good Luck. Smile

PS: Basilisk's stuff sounds very interesting. Now you did it man, now you *have* to find a way to show us. Laughing
    ...just messing, anyone heard of this before? cyclops
    Frode
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 Empty String jig, was string and brace again

Post by Frode Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Well, after seeing all the fine examples of string jigs here, I figured I'd better just go ahead and bite the bullet. Here's my interpretation, in wood. I have to say, it puts some scary tension on the string, with no complaints! Tomorrow we'll see how the first string off of it works.
    Frode

String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010001_3
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010002_3
    String jig, was String and brace, again - Page 2 P1010003_1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:39 am