The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
Geezer
wdh1974
6 posters

Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt?

wdh1974
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt? Empty Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt?

Post by wdh1974 Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 am

whats the poundage on a clap lock and roller nutt?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt? Empty Re: Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt?

Post by Geezer Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am

Geezer here, picking up the gauntlett:  Pounds force on a claplock?  I have no idea, having never built one, but looking at bows that employ claplock, I would say 200-300 lb. should be workable, given a properly made 'hand' and bowstring.
    For roller-locks, it depends on how they're built.  I make a lot of lightweight crossbows @ 70 lb draw. For those I use a decent hardwood for the stock and a simple Delrin roller, with a mild steel (allthread) sear for the trigger to work against.   They work out fine.  For customers who want much over 100 lb. draw, I usually reinforce the edges of the nut-socket with slabs of moose-horn... occasionally axis stag horn. If the slabs are put in correctly, they'll hold up indefinitely... occasionally you chip an edge, but generally speaking they work fine up to my limits of @ 200 lb. You see lots of horn/bone reinforces on medieval bows up to @ 1000 lb. draw.  Delrin rollers will work perfectly well on a 200 lb. bow, but I don't think I would put one on a 300 lb. bow.  The lugs might fail.  The few bows I have built over 200 got moose-horn rollers.  Very strong medieval bows... say anything over 500 lb. or so, often got a couple of steel pins driven through the lugs, down into the body of the roller.  I've done that with 1/8 or 3/16 in. steel rod, epoxied in place and it worked fine.  If you wanna know how much power you can use with a roller-lock, there are big siege bows that probably draw 1500 lb. with a 10 inch power stroke... there's a nice one in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.  It has a bone roller @ 2 inches in diameter and the same in width.  The socket is undoubtedly lined with bone, and the lockplates look like cow-horn.  Remarkably, for such a strong bow, it has an old-fashioned single-axle trigger.  That suggests a lot of trigger pressure for release, but then again it IS really long, so maybe it's not too much work.  Does that help?  Geezer.
    Nick D
    Nick D
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt? Empty Re: Slowbows, Clap lock trigger, how many pounds pull are they, and whats the pounds on a roller nutt?

Post by Nick D Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 am

Geezer wrote:Remarkably, for such a strong bow, it has an old-fashioned single-axle trigger.  That suggests a lot of trigger pressure for release, but then again it IS really long, so maybe it's not too much work. 

That's interesting.  My brother wants to work up to a heavy bow, around 1200lbs or so, and I've been thinking of a two-axle trigger for heavier bows that doesn't require strings or such to lock.  Even with heat treated sears wouldn't a single-axle trigger on a 1500# bow wear out pretty fast?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by kenh Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:21 am

Sure it'll wear. Nobody said such a setup had the half-life of plutonium.  Back in the Olde Daye I don't believe they though in terms of weapon longevity the way we do.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

The old-style, riveted-in wedge sears don't appear to be replaceable, either, unlike the threaded-in, modern type. Would a crossbowman back in the day just expect to replace the entire nut every so often? It seems like an easier option than reshaping the ticker end.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Actually, given a riveted-in wedge sear and a riveted in tickler-trigger, I figure the trigger would be easier to remove and hammer square on an anvil, then fit back in the stock.  But in fact, if you can get the rivet out of the trigger, you can probably get it out of the nut as well, in which place one can rework that surface or remove it.  There's a worse wear-problem: a tickler-drag groove that forms around the circumference of the nut. That, plus sear-wear might eventually require replacement of the nut.  Of course when you consider some bows had no nussfaden or pivot-pin through the nut, (Western bows in particular) it probably wasn't uncommon to have them fall out.  So prudent archers probably carried a spare anyhow.  Geezer.
    wdh1974
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by wdh1974 Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Oh wow sorry guys, great information but i wasnt clear lol....i mean what the trigger pull on a clap lock and roller nutt, aka is it for instance 3 pounds to break the trigger and fire the shot? my bad  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:54 am

Almost no one thinks in terms of pounds of trigger pull around here.  The pull on a single axle roller nut lock is going to depend on the geometry of the roller nut axle and the tickler axle, plus the length of the tickler arm.

Clap lock?  I don't know if anyone here has built one of the Slobows locks. 

In either case, more than 2 or 3 pounds, that's for sure.  We're not talking match grade rifle/pistol trigger pulls until you start building your own multi-axle actions with set triggers and such.
    wdh1974
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by wdh1974 Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

Oh ok thanks, wasnt sure Smile
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:16 am

I find I really like a nice, light trigger pull  Very Happy . I know you're asking about the Slobows locks specifically, so this is (once again tongue ) off-topic, but...my last build used a trigger like THIS (as in Ivo's post, #17...a "transfer bar" trigger, I guess? ) and the pull ended up pretty reasonable. I suspect by refining the lever arm lengths and so on, one could get a very sweet trigger pull out of this design.

Oh and thanks, Geezer, for the info...very interesting. I like thinking about day to day maintenance as a design aspect. Makes sense, I suspect I could get a tickler rivet out without a ton of damage, whereas I might potentially break the nut in half.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Todd the archer Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:39 pm

I have built a clap lock of my own design and incorporated a set trigger. Have to say you really can't get any better than that. Although I think the "lock time" is a little longer due to the set trigger hammer swing time as opposed to a directly activated release.

Todd

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am