I'm calling it done, for now. I learned a few things, so that's always good.
Things I learned:
1. The only real problem with the first build was shock and noise on firing. I think there were several factors involved. The first thing I discovered was that in routing out the cavity for the lock mechanism, I had allowed enough space underneath for the claw component to travel downward far enough to clear the string, but not nearly enough to allow it full range of travel. My cheekbone was really sore for a few days after taking it to the range for the first time, and I think a big part of it was that mechanism striking the stock right in front of my face like a hammer! I thought about just grinding it out, but I kept thinking that energy has to be transferred somewhere, and if it isn't to the wood then it would be to the lock mechanism and it's mounting. I decided to grind out the cavity just a bit and glue tiny pads of thick leather to soak it up. Seems to be working well.
2. I didn't have too much down force with the string, too little! I forgot that a feeling came over me as I was sanding the bolt track, and I purposefully sanded the middle of the track down while leaving it high at the front so that it would soak up energy from the string at the end of it's travel when fired. Then I totally forgot about that when it came time to string it up, and tried to get the string to just kiss the track in the undrawn position! That was the real culprit with the excess noise and shock.
3. I wrapped the prod tightly with paracord to see if it would muffle the twang at all. It doesn't, but it looks kinda cool. I'll probably take it off, but will try the trick again with a fiberglass prod.
4. The can of linseed oil I've been using for years finally dried out, the finish on most of my pieces has been linseed oil and beeswax, mainly because that's what I had. When I went to the store I decided to try out tung oil instead. Holy crap, it's awesome. I only used wax to fill a few imperfections.